OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sister is a vet.. but I think I'm just going to leave it in a bath and get back to it after a while.
Hopefully I'll have several things to work on when I set up for electrolysis.

Last edited:

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
E.O.'s are always a fun mystery- congrats and keep up the good hunting!

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why you are going to electrolysis first, there is far too much encrustation to go with that first. A soak in fresh water is warranted for an amount of time, or since it looks like quite a bit of calcium, a muriatic acid bath...then fresh water.

Before all that work, I would suggest the xray...

I use the mobile vets, and they have the most powerful xray machines, because they take them to the field. Xray film is about $15/sheet...

I have also talked my way into a clinic here and there, that have the real time tables...not as powerful though, but you can scan real time...

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because I pull so many encrusted objects up and by the conductivity reading I know it's iron...and likely another of many many iron spikes I've detected from low tide zones.
I will simply drill a small hole to make my connection to the metal and give it a good amount of juice.
That will drive out a substantial amount of salt from the metal and loosen the crust in the process.
I will periodically take it out and manually remove crust.
There is typically not much left of a piece like this.
Sometimes it's better off not cleaning at all.
If I thought it was going to be something of importance I would handle it differently.
I can X-ray anything anytime for free.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks alot like a half a horseshoe.... ha..remind me to never make Auquanut angry.

Last edited:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
A hundred years a go?

Come now John, you know we're both a couple of Old Goats. I remember when I took two of my kids to Gettysburg when they were around 5 and 8 yrs old. They ask me if I fought in the Revolutionary War. ( True Story ) I had to explain to them that Gettysburg was not the Revolutionary War, it was the Civil War. My Wife doubled over with laughter. It's not a sin to be old and proud of it.LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd consider that to be a blessing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread