Valuable wreck off Barbuda

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ship was lost off Barbuda island with a general cargo and a large amount of specie and ingots. (gold and silver)
Only a few articles and a small amount of specie salvaged by the crew, but the largest part was lost with the ship.

To my knowledge no salvage until now, even though a couple of years ago someone was interested in the story... but never committed himself !

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Barbuda is a big island. Do you know where the wreck is located? What year did it wreck?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Batavia, If you are talking about the Spanish Wreck at the S.E. end of Barbuda, at Spanish Point. Most of that wreck has been salvaged. I was there 2 years ago. If you are talking about the wreck around the mid point on the west end of Barbuda. Coins are still being pulled up there.

OP
OP
Batavia

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old man said:
Batavia, If you are talking about the Spanish Wreck at the S.E. end of Barbuda, at Spanish Point. Most of that wreck has been salvaged. I was there 2 years ago. If you are talking about the wreck around the mid point on the west end of Barbuda. Coins are still being pulled up there.

No... None of them ! Some more research should be done, but the most important information are in my hands.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Batavia said:
aquanut said:
Interesting...

It is one of my files I would be happy to negociate with a serious salvor...

Sure I'll negotiate. "IF" anything is found, I'll give you a percentage of the find. If nothing is found the only one that loses is the guy that spends all the money on boats, equipment and airline fares to get to Antigua and then onto Barbuda as well as all athe time spent looking.
So far, you haven't given any viable information. ie... The name of the wreck. Year it sank. What is on the manifest, etc...

OP
OP
Batavia

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Batavia said:
aquanut said:
Interesting...

[
old man said:
Batavia said:
aquanut said:
Interesting...

Sure I'll negotiate. "IF" anything is found, I'll give you a percentage of the find. If nothing is found the only one that loses is the guy that spends all the money on boats, equipment and airline fares to get to Antigua and then onto Barbuda as well as all athe time spent looking.
So far, you haven't given any viable information. ie... The name of the wreck. Year it sank. What is on the manifest, etc...
/quote]

Yes, Old man... Keep in mind that I am an archive researcher and if someone serious is interesting in a project, please write to me on my e-mail address, so we can talk privately on how to make a proper deal...!

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Batavia,

I have been also archive researcher, actively working with foreign salvage companies in the Dominican Republic, for relatively long time already. Take my free advice that if you want to look for some SERIOUS investor, you should give at least approximate year of the loss of "your" shipwreck and if you know at least some proved info about registered cargo that was on board. It counts. Otherwise nobody serious would probably spend a minute thinking about it. Nobody asks you here for exact location or depth or name of the shipwreck to "steal" it from you. I want to be clear here - I am NOT interested in your shipwreck, I have more than enough work in two lease areas here on the island at least for the next two years, I just want to help you. Also, your range of interest iseems to be pretty wide - Indonesia, Mexico, Caribbean.... judging from your posts and offers for treasure shipwrecks.
Anyway, this Forum is excellent possibility to find REAL investor.

All the best....
Bobadilla

OP
OP
Batavia

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Bobadilla,

Thanks for your free advice...! But I must tell you that I am in this business since he 80's, so I have been accross many stories of people, manipulation, scams etc... etc... I can tell you there is no way I will post any kind of precise date information or else of this kind, in TreasureNet !

Genuine and serious people can "meet" privately through this very good and dedicated forum, but how many members can be considered as "genuine and serious people"...? Of course, I am also talking about the Net in general and not TreasureNet in particular.

That said, I have been working in the archives and built up "interesting" salvage project, virtually in every part of the world (Asia, Africa, America - South and North, Europe etc...) My specialty is more 19th century and the World Wars, even though I also have information on older periods.

To answer partly your question the wreck off Barbuda is a 19th one. The guy I talked to some years ago about this project didn't want to commit himself, so nothing happened. And nothing else will happen unfortunately if nobody wants to show some commitment, I am afraid.

I am already busy with other projects, so better to do nothing than to do it the wrong way...

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
In 1998 i spent several months on Barbuda searching for wrecks.. I found over 30 but most are covered over with a hard rock concretion... This is a hard place to work in but I did find some very interesting artifacts!!!

This island was the home to many "wreckers" so most ships were salvaged before they even sank completely. I did find one wreck that had crates of muskets on it. Another wreck called the "Griffon" sank there and i know of one Gold coin that came off that wreck along with some interesting ceramics...

Barbuda is a very interesting place. There are a couple of caves on the east side of the island that has drawings from the Arawak indians still visible. You can also find Arawak artifacts lying on the ground around the old village near the south east side.

The beaches there also have a light pink hue to them.. Awesome place!!!!

Here is a ballast pile in Barbuda and a Cannon concreted to the bottom.......

Attachments

• BARBUDA BALLAST PILE.jpg
    BARBUDA BALLAST PILE.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 484
  • CANNON BARBUDA.jpg
    CANNON BARBUDA.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 515

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread