Vaquero good for a beginner?

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
Vaquero good for a 'beginner'?

I've pretty much concluded that this is the one for me...been doin homework before purchasing...for once I didn't "impulse buy"...

However, I've never 'detected' with anything other than my eyeballs....

Am I starting out "too advance?"

I have an 1800's property in west Ga lined up ready to be hunted....

The "interface" on the Vaquero seems very basic...knobs....

And just for another worthless question: Is the Vaquero all its cracked up to be :dontknow:

Thanks guy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Vaquero good for a 'beginner'?

The Vaquero is an excellent detector that will not fail you. It outshines other detectors costing hundreds of dollars more too. It is light weight, excellent on batteries, has many coils available for it, Lifetime Warranty. You will have a blast with it.

Good Luck,
Sandman

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

Very good do all detector. Just read the manual and practice with the ground balance and it will be a snap. I had one and enjoyed it. You have made a great choice, have fun!

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009

so it sucks huh?

haha...thanks guys..lookin forward to purchasing soon...

want to test out the ace 250 just for kibble and sh**s (just because I am brand new to the hobby) but will probably end up with the 'V'

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero

CheathamHill said:
so it sucks huh?

haha...thanks guys..lookin forward to purchasing soon...

want to test out the ace 250 just for kibble and sh**s (just because I am brand new to the hobby) but will probably end up with the 'V'

You will outgrow the ace in a year...get the V...although an ace is a good backup.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used

I would get the Tesoro Silver Umax before I got the Ace! Without getting into a "P" contest, my neighbor has the Ace and I am not impressed and neither is he.

BOBBYC

Dec 5, 2008
KNOXVILLE,TN
Detector(s) used
BH LANDSTAR,,ACE 250,Whites Coinmaster Pro,whites MXT,Tesoro cutlass2

get the (V) i have one and i cant put it down i have found a lot of coins and a lot of relics,that machine will suprise you

Bobby

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009

though it's an "iron hog" I will be motly using it for Relic hunting...and I know for the first few months I'll be excited to just find an iron nail...so I'll dig everything.....

at this point it seems a no brainer...and will be ordering soon..from somewhere..kellyco doesnt carry them...who does?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used

Relic hunter supply is a great outfit to order from. I have done alot of business with him. He is a hardcore relic hunter as well.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kellyco can not carry Tesoro. However you can find a dealer in your area or you can find one that advertises in Western & Eastern Treasures magazine. Good Luck.

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009

Thanks guys! I have learned that "shiny new thingies and gadgets" are rarely the best....

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008

Vaquero was my first machine with a manual GB, I was a bit apprehensive because of the GB,which turned out to be a non issue. Very easy to do, read the manual and practice for 5 minutes. Simple machine with knobs(doesn't get much easier). Dig all and listen how the signal responds on different targets at various disc settings, that one tone tells alot. Get a good digging tool, it goes DEEP.

GreatWhite00

Sep 7, 2009
Cleveland ,Oh
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

I just got one used for half of what it costs new. Keep an eye on Craigslist, I found mine roughly two hours away. The machine is very easy to use and does what it is said to do. I am impressed, that's for sure.

BOBBYC

Dec 5, 2008
KNOXVILLE,TN
Detector(s) used
BH LANDSTAR,,ACE 250,Whites Coinmaster Pro,whites MXT,Tesoro cutlass2

I got mine here they are great to deal with and they have free shipping www.detectordepot.com check them out

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009

Forgot to 'axe'..how does one judge depth with this machine. The new fangled "shiny" machines had digital readouts with approximate depth...

Is this truly just a beep and dig till you hit your target...would this make a pinpointer necessary? I know there is one on the machine but still don't know how that would tell me approximate depth...

Will the tone of the machine also tell me this..something, I gather, I'll have to learn over time with use of the 'v'

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used

The tone will help figure the approx. depth unless you have alot of metal under you. I had a machine that told you depth prior to owning Tesoro's. It was only acurate if the id was right. Again, it mattered wether or not there was alot of metal under you. I do not look back at that expensive TID machine. I spent to much time reading and trusting the screen, rather than my ears and just digging. I have dug a little more trash, but my increased finds make it all worth while.

Once you learn the detector, you will dig less trash. The trick is to learn the detector as simple as that sounds. Some read the manual and think that they have learned their detector and only use of the detector will give you the knowledge. The detector is only a tool. Hope this helps. :coffee2:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You will do good with the V. Easy to use, just keep it ground balanced. I have a cibola which I used to hunt my old yard and then bought a vaquero and was amazed how much the ground balance helped in the soil I was in. It was like a virgin yard again and I had already found alot there. Both are good machines but he Vaquero is better in tough soil.

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007

I totally back up what John(Ma) said. I also had a machine with readout and simply paid too much attention to it. He's right, the depth was pretty accurate for something ID'd correctly. but so many times that does not happen because there is junk metal next to good stuff. I've had a Vaquero for a couple years now. To judge depth, the tone will be loud for shallow and quiet for deep.
One method I have had good luck with lately when looking for old coins is to run in super tune mode. (thats threshold all the way up, sens at about 7) Deep stuff will give a louder noise, so I am less likely to skip over it. Once on a signal, I back down the t-hold till its barley audible point (6 or 7 for me) then check the signal again. If its faint, I'm excited because its deep.
From experience too, don't be out looking for the perfect signal all the time. Yes they exist, but I would say more of my older coins are iffy signals rather that perfect signals. At one trashy spot, I have forgone finding nickels, and I run with disc about 2:00 or a little higher. I have found the older deeper coins tend to disc out in the zinc range some times. Just yesterday I landed an 1875 indian head that had a less than perfect signal, that was quiet. I was not suprised. Deep coins are just that way, at least for me in my soil conditions.
The Vaq will take a little learning, the second or third time out you'll be fine, and you will always be improving. Give yourself time, and ask more questions here if you need the help. I'm happy with my Vaquero.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions