Vern Spratt Property

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know the present owner of the Vern Spratt property in Menifee County, Kentucky. I talked to him once on the telephone as he was on the forum. I don't know if he is still on the forum? I would like to find out the owner's name and/or telephone number is that is possible. Or if you are the landowner you can contact me. I am not per say looking to find the Swift Silver Mines but something else of interest that I am searching for which predates Swift by hundreds of years. I would like to look at the rock carvings as I can now read the writing and would love to see what they were talking about.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may already be aware that Spratt's Petroglyphs are now in the National Register of Historic Places. As such, access may be restricted.
Don in SoCal.
Yes since about 1985 or 1988. I don't plan on moving any rocks or digging unless the land owner wants to dig arrow heads. But no I just want to look around for the Petroglyphs and read them. I know where the property is even though they don't list it on the National Register of Historic Places. I just don't go on property without the landowner's consent. Too far to drive for me to not get on the property. But thanks for the reminder.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Does anyone know the present owner of the Vern Spratt property in Menifee County, Kentucky. I talked to him once on the telephone as he was on the forum. I don't know if he is still on the forum? I would like to find out the owner's name and/or telephone number is that is possible. Or if you are the landowner you can contact me. I am not per say looking to find the Swift Silver Mines but something else of interest that I am searching for which predates Swift by hundreds of years. I would like to look at the rock carvings as I can now read the writing and would love to see what they were talking about.
Verne passed away in 2006. I doubt he was ever a Tnet member, no internet access where he lived until several years after his passing. The current owner isn't a Tnet member. Spratt Stone Works and rock shelters don't have any petroglyphs other than turkey tracks. The "petroglyphs" that you may be seeking are on Tea Kettle rock, it isn't covered by the National Register of Historic Places. Many experts have studied Tea Kettle rock and none have been able to attribute the carvings to antiquity. Most likely modern (mid 1900's).

There's no way the Stone Works should have made the registry. No artifacts were found along the "mounds". These rock piles occur all over Menifee County, most likely a farming or land clearing practice.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 21

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Attached is a drawing of the "petroglyphs" on Tea Kettle, I apologize for the horrible quality of the image. I can confirm this drawing is an accurate reflection of what's on the rocks. Tea Kettle is actually 3 rocks that somewhat resemble a tea kettle. Based on the hominy holes on the main rock, I would argue that if the carvings are legit, they are Native American.

Could these predate Swift? Sure, my mind is open.

Attachments

• TeaKettle.jpeg
    TeaKettle.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 41

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
An early 1900's home existed in front of Tea Kettle. It's hard to see but, a 3 foot rock/cement wall was built in the gap (blue arrow). Most likely the gap was used as cellar/storage. Several period items were found in the dirt in this gap (ink well, broken glassware, leather shoe remnants, etc). Photo credit to deceased member "Boomer".

Easy to attribute "petroglyphs" to this homestead.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 33

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An early 1900's home existed in front of Tea Kettle. It's hard to see but, a 3 foot rock/cement wall was built in the gap (blue arrow). Most likely the gap was used as cellar/storage. Several period items were found in the dirt in this gap (ink well, broken glassware, leather shoe remnants, etc). Photo credit to deceased member "Boomer".

Easy to attribute "petroglyphs" to this homestead.
Seems I remember Boomer's thoughts were a map drawing on tea kettle rock? Certainly has been a while since reading that post! Hope everyone is well, been long time since any activity on here.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one post anymore. They want to hang around and read. Nothing but sponges.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searching this site and contacting this office should get you the result you seek.
Don in SoCal
Thanks. I have decided that is not the location I seek. It is in another county of Kentucky. I am trying to locate where King Arthur II was kept mummified in a cave after he was assassinated by friendly Indians. I tried last year when I went down there. Even though my pickup truck was totaled that morning, we still went to the top of the mountains looking for the cave. But we missed it. I will try again this year.

Mar 3, 2024
Thanks. I have decided that is not the location I seek. It is in another county of Kentucky. I am trying to locate where King Arthur II was kept mummified in a cave after he was assassinated by friendly Indians. I tried last year when I went down there. Even though my pickup truck was totaled that morning, we still went to the top of the mountains looking for the cave. But we missed it. I will try again this year.
You say that so casually lol. Anyway I know where you are coming from; you know Alan passed away recently. Anyway I heard from a reliable source that the current owner destroyed everything and it is very heartbreaking. Also I know exactly the narrative you are asking about, and are you sure that cave isn’t in Tennessee currently under water? I’m not 100% on that, I’d have to go back and review my sources, but off the top of my head that seems right based on the translation on the stone.

Anyway I just joined this site, so feel free to message me; based on what has happened to the Spratt Site and several of the small serpent mounds in recent years, I’m not willing to discuss much on an open forum.

Furthermore I’m very interested in the John Swift lore, and I think it’s historic significance has yet to be fully fleshed out, but I highly doubt there is anything of value left, unless you are into historic value, or what was really on people’s minds as they pushed westward into new frontiers in the colonial days. Not to be a Debbie Downer but none of those mines were that hard to find back in the day, as they were all originally Indian mines located off of Indian Traces. I mean how do people think that Swift was able to find so many? A lesser known fact though is that his mines spanned several states. I also don’t think people realize just how hard up colonial Americans were for precious metals, or just what lengths they would go too. I think much of what they were mining wouldn’t even seem worth the time today, but that’s purely speculative on my part, I know “first hand accounts” state otherwise, then there are those infamous Swift coins. But if you want some insight into colonial metallurgy culture check out Paul Revere’s biographies.

Last edited:

TruthbeTold

Aug 16, 2023
No Franklin, he was my 40th Great Uncle and King Arthur II was my 40th Great Grandfather.

I would like to share the actual history of what really happened but I’m sworn to secrecy.

I assure you that the Smithsonian has nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread