Very detailed 1877 Seated Dime

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert at grading coins, but I know this one is 100 times better than the 1854 dime I found earlier this year. What would this grade? Also, what is your opinion of the mint mark on the back. It looks like a square and I assume it was an 0 or S, but just can't tell. I can't seem to get close-ups any better or detailed to show you. Too bad it has a few old scratches across the chest. I found an 1899 barber quarter a couple nights ago on the bordering property. The house that sits at this site is only about 20 years old but it sits opposite corners from a school dating back into the 1890's and next door to a house that dated back into the 1870's. I only hunted tonight for 20 minutes because the mosquitos were unbelievable. Trust me, I wanted to stay but couldn't. I dug a few clad coins, a wheat in the 50's, and a lantern base (pat. date 1872). I have permission to hit this yard anytime along with another lot he owns next to it. I think I will come back during the day when the mosquitos are laying low.

100_1987.jpg

100_1989.jpg

Upvote 0

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1877 s. Grade F-12 maybe F-20. :( Nice find though. I love the Seated coins! Congrats.....Hogge :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Hogge! I don't sell any of the coins I find so the value doesn't mean much. I appreciate you grading it for me. I haven't seen enough of these to know what more to look for, I just know this one came out of the hole lookin' pretty nice.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
nice seated! Those seem to come out at either extreme; either really nice or really worn.... I hit one of each last yr...... I hit an 1876 this year that was almost as nice as yours, but it had dis-coloration on it..... the shocking part to me was how little both mine were worth..... 1887-O only was like 18 bucks.... the mintmark on yours is an S

Congrats from the buckeye state!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, WH, she's a beauty! Very nice.

Keep digging!

p.s. Mosquitoes droves me nuts today too.

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only fine? I'd go with a very strong VF or even almost XF. Very little wear. Whatever the grade, that's a great looking coin, congrats on the pull! For only a 20 minute hunt, sounds like you could have more stuff where that came from. Good luck and HH

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Nice seated coin, Mark!!

How deep was it? Looks like that SE Pro is treating you very nicely!!

Outstanding!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Go get another!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Nice seated coin, Mark!!

How deep was it? Looks like that SE Pro is treating you very nicely!!

Outstanding!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Go get another!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
It hit pretty decent, showing that it was a dime and that it was approximately 6" deep. I dug a deeper plug, maybe 8" and flipped it over. When I swept over the plug, it made that sweet reverberating sound so I knew it was almost showing under the plug. Cleaned a little dirt off and it was in the center of the plug, I would say it was at least 7" down, at a slight angle. Yep, me and the SE are becoming one. Is your silver run still going? Great work!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice one Wallhangers, I too love the history and mystery of those old school sites. Nothings ever hunted out. AMC

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Is your silver run still going? Great work!

Yeah, it's at 32 right now. Seated coin finds don't happen very often here in S. CA. Out of 928 silver coins I've found in the past 20 months, only 1 was a seated coin(a '58 Seated Half).

Thanks, Mark!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Great coin! Always nice to see them, as I'm in the 'someday a Seated' crowd.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
VERY nice coin!

I wouldn't worry too much about the value of coins, or the grading, either.
To me, it's just the accomplishment of recovering a coin that's that old, and wondering who the last person to hold it in their hand was.
I figure I'll tally up the totals when I'm dead! :D
(They just might be paying for my casket!)
Sweet find!
Congrats!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Buzzard King said:
VERY nice coin!

I wouldn't worry too much about the value of coins, or the grading, either.
To me, it's just the accomplishment of recovering a coin that's that old, and wondering who the last person to hold it in their hand was.
I figure I'll tally up the totals when I'm dead! :D
(They just might be paying for my casket!)
Sweet find!
Congrats!
I totally agree with this statement. Grading or condition is luck! How it went into the ground, acidity of soil, what it was against in the ground, etc....Recovery is the key. This would have been lost forever if you did not find it.

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
That is a great coin Mark! If your worried about the condition and value of that sweet seated, I'll be glad to take it off yer hands. Might even give ya a brand new shiney 2008 dime in exchange! I'll be back from WI in a day or two and looking forward to getting out with you and Michiganne to clean up somebodys dirty old yard lol

HH
Slipperyjack47

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions