Victrola Help

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I'm wondering what mechanism(s) might be broken so I can then research approx dollar figures for repair. And yes, I did locate it on ebay! I'm wondering how much money I've spent on that site over the years....... ;D

N

nutso

I have about 50 old records for them. Bought a record player recently to listen to them. I actually enjoy the old music.

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nutso said:
I have about 50 old records for them. Bought a record player recently to listen to them. I actually enjoy the old music.
DO YOU WANT MORE RECORDS

beekeeper65

Greenie
Aug 25, 2006
Goshen, NY
Hi~

New here..joined this past August but have spent all my time reading so this is my first post..

I have an old Victrola from 1903 that is a family heirloom that had the same problem (cranks but turntable won't go..). Now I'm not certain what year or model you have but mine is one of those credenza-style units..

Basically the problem was this: there are 3 counter weights in the unit on small metal brackets...one bracket was broken. I recoved the weight inside the unit and removed one of the 2 remaining good brackets. My uncle at that time owned a machine shop so I had one of his guys make me an exact duplicate (it took him about 5 minutes) - Now you can make one of those brackets on your own - all you would need is a sharp pair of tinsnips and a steady hand with a small drill..I was more than thrilled when I went home and reassembled the Victrola and it ran like it was brand new.

I hope this helps..

Beekeeper65

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some very very old victrola records that are getting ruined...nobody wants them...but I will sell them

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I own a Victrola from 1911. The only thing that can go wrong with them is a part breaking--usually either the mainspring or the arm. If the arm is broken, the thing is useless. Any repair won't give a great sound quality. If the diaphram or a piece of the arm is disconnected then you might be able to reconnect it easily. So you mean it winds, and the table turns, but when you drop the needle on a record you don't get a sound? By the way, if anyone needs needles, I know of a guy in Texas that sells them cheap. I think 3 bucks for 25 or so.

Regards,

Buckleboy

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I was rooting around in a storage shed on my property after I bought my house a few years back. I had rented from the lady that owned it before she sold it to me, so I had her phone number, and I found a metal ID plate for a Victrola. I called her and asked about it, and she told me that she and her husband had one, stored it in the shed, and after a few years of serious SouthEastern humidity, etc. the cabinet began to rot. So they took it down to the burn pile.

So what I did was get some double-backed tape, and stuck the plate to the front of my Pioneer receiver/power amp. ;D

Oh and I found a collector's website, and found it had been a common model from the early 1920s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread