(**Video**) New York Militia Button in Western Kentucky!

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am absolutely, completely, totally, out-of-my-mind thrilled and flabbergasted.

This hobby is so cool …

Let's start with my latest episode of Kentucky Diggin'
[youtube=425,350]eTe9ETOMNrk[/youtube]

This afternoon, after several hours of research and writing, I decided to get out and enjoy the weather. I took off at 3:00 in search of a place to detect. I’ve had my eye on an empty lot in town for quite some time. You see, there are many empty lots that people abandoned years ago and the city now keeps them up, cuts the grass, etc… This lot is right on the “edge” of town and easy to access. So I hit it. I only had about two hours until dark, so I was moving pretty fast.

Boy, am I glad I did.

About 30 minutes into the hunt, I got a solid 45-47 VDI at about three inches of depth. Intrigued (I hadn’t seen anything in that range up until that point today), I dug. And out popped this gorgeous, golden, button!!

03-01-11-new-york-button-front.jpg
03-01-11-new-york-button-back.jpg

It is a New York State / Militia button! The back mark is “Steele & Johnson.” I’m no button expert, but with the little research I’ve done it looks to be authentic Civil War era. Dropped by a New York Militia soldier right here in Cadiz, Kentucky. Unbelievable!

I also dug a toe plate, which I normally associate with Civil War sites. Perhaps this unit simply traveled down this road into town??

03-01-11-toe-plate-outside.jpg

03-01-11-toe-plate-inside.jpg

I dug some other interesting stuff besides the button.

This lovely 1900 Indian Head …
03-01-11-1900-ih-obverse.jpg
03-01-11-1900-ih-reverse.jpg

A nice old 1919 “greenie” Wheat Penny …
03-01-11-1919-wheat-obverse.jpg
03-01-11-1919-wheat-reverse.jpg

The oldest Rabies Tag I’ve ever found …
[imghttp://coinshooter.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/03-01-11-rabies-tag.jpg]http://[/img]

I also dug a curious looking key, a HUGE stick of pure lead, and another 11 coins totaling 53 cents in clad. Here’s a total pic (minus the clad):
03-01-11-finds.jpg

Thanks for looking! Enjoy the video ... and take a moment to drop by my YouTube channel and subscribe!

Attachments

• 03.01.11 New York Button Front.jpg
    03.01.11 New York Button Front.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 400
Upvote 0

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
your enthusiasim shows! Nice button and congrats

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jamesbibb said:
your enthusiasim shows! Nice button and congrats

Yes it does! Gotta love it! :wink: Always enjoy your video's.
Congrats on all those terrific finds!!

Nana

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice variety. I dug one of those NY buttons a few years ago in Ohio at a 1830's house I was pounding all year. WTG on your exciting digs :thumbsup:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be going back to that Lot in town in till I could not get a beep out of my machine , it looks like you have a very good place to hunt .

Great finds ! And keep them coming as you do find some very neat things .

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :icon_thumright: I like how you format your videos with a picture and description after you have dug the target. Thanks again, BS

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look close at your Toe Tap,you can see the Pat. Date,should be late 1850's.We find them by the handfuls in our sites that had nothing to do with the C.W,just the same "period" :thumbsup:

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kuger said:
If you look close at your Toe Tap,you can see the Pat. Date,should be late 1850's.We find them by the handfuls in our sites that had nothing to do with the C.W,just the same "period" :thumbsup:

Yep, saw the patent marker ... just didn't want to scrub it any more than necessary. I like the coloration.

The odd thing is that the site just doesn't seem that old. Oh, well. :) Both the button and the plate were relatively close to the road. There is a mid-1800's home about 100 yards away up the hill. There's just no telling ...

I have some feelers out with a local "expert" on the war and troop movements in our area. I hope to "fill in some blanks" on any New York units that were here.

I know for sure that our courthouse was occupied by a unit of black troops (called "negro troops" at the time). Not sure if that may have been a NY unit. Will work hard to find out!

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions