VIDEO Southern Ky Historic Preservers Episode #2 FIRST GOLD!!!

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!

I hit an old home site I have been at a couple times before. It is a mid 1800's house site and caveman 2 has pulled a couple 3 ringers and I have found a old button from civil war as well. anyways hit it again today solo. FOUND MY 1ST GOLD RING!! YAY. I have been waiting over 4 years for something gold. and it came today! Also found some other neat things. if anyone can help me with the reunion piece or the other gold looking do dad I would appreciate it! THANKS!

Upvote 0

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Garrett GTI2500, GTA 500 Ultra, Garrett Propointer
Nice looking ring! The other gold looking do-dad is a necktie clip. I have one that is almost identical that belonged to my grandfather.
Charles

Tn Gizmo

Sep 4, 2007
Moss, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Compass 77B ; whites 6000D ; Garrett Master Hunter CX w/Treasure Hound (two box); Minelab Exp. II
Your mystery item looks like a suspender clip to me. I found a tie clip sort of like yours a long time ago, going from my feeble memory. I will dig it out of the box and post a photo if it is as close to yours as I remember.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Great find,like seeing your videos,I just drove through cave city a couple of hours ago,I cut across there to catch 31E when Im coming home from the south. Sure are a lot of nice looking spots around there,have you ever hunted around that livestock auction place just east of horse cave? Ive thought of stopping in there a couple of times,doesnt look like they use it very much if at all anymore. I know you have to dig a lot of trash to find the gold,I think its around 100 pulltabs for each ring and 500 pulltabs for each gold ring,gold usually comes in right above a pulltab real close to a nickel,keep sharing your videos maybe we can hunt together sometime Im up in Magnolia...shoot

Tn Gizmo

Sep 4, 2007
Moss, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Compass 77B ; whites 6000D ; Garrett Master Hunter CX w/Treasure Hound (two box); Minelab Exp. II
Okay, I dug mine from the "junk box" it is very much like yours. This will give you an idea what it looked like, mine looks like it may have been gold plated once upon a time. Hope this helps...have a wonderful day.
Richard

Attachments

• DSC04973.jpg
    DSC04973.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 584
  • DSC04974.jpg
    DSC04974.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 583

Southie E.J.

May 16, 2011
South Boston Ma
Detector(s) used
WHITES COINMASTER, MINELABS 705, and ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you. i find that finding gold is a hard thing to find but I know guys that find 3, 5, or even 10 at once. I guess there are certain tricks to it that I havnt learned yet but it usually involves beach hunting. I hope with my new 705 that I score like that sometime. I hope you find another! Good luck!

U

umrgolf

In response to your questions in the video- It's really tough to tell if its gold without pictures.. A lot of old signet rings were gold and a lot more of them were gold plated. If it is gold, it has to be an old one with no markings. Close-up pictures will help us, and if there's any evidence of flaking, it's plated.

OP
OP
olekyground

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some better pics of the ring for you guys.. theres no sign of any flaking. oh and thanks for the info on the tie clip! Next time I will know what it is if I find another!

Attachments

• sippy cup and more 170.jpg
    sippy cup and more 170.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 511
  • sippy cup and more 171.jpg
    sippy cup and more 171.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 502
  • sippy cup and more 172.jpg
    sippy cup and more 172.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 513
U

umrgolf

olekyground said:
Here are some better pics of the ring for you guys.. theres no sign of any flaking. oh and thanks for the info on the tie clip! Next time I will know what it is if I find another!

Cool, thanks for the pics! Congrats on a great looking old gold ring :headbang:

OP
OP
olekyground

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments!! I still cant believe it myself! It feels so good to finally strike the gold!

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Yes sir, looks like an old gold ring before they used karat stamps! She's nice looking....great find! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread