What's new

Vietnam Vet finds.....

civilman1

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
9,388
Reaction score
1,685
Golden Thread
0
Location
PA-MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vietnam Vet find's.....

Went back up to the 1842 log home where LTC J.J.Hoopert once resided,A few month's back I found his dog tag and some of his medal's from the war.I never met the guy but it's kind of a full circle deal,When I was around 5 or 6 the people across the street from my parent's had kid's that were in there teen's.One of the girls is a romance novelist now under the name of Joey Light.Found out from my buddy who own's the cabin that her first few novel's were written in that very cabin and he has the so called manuscript to that novel,all handwritten,and it was "kinda" revised by J.J. Hoopert.I was talking to my Mom who has some signed novels of her's told me her first novel was dedicated to J.J. Hoopert,"my mentor..my friend"..and so on.I just thought it was pretty wierd that I can relate to all this after almost 40 year's.Never knew until I was invited up to the log home by my parent's mailman(owner of the cabin).It is a small world when you find out something like this,and to find his discarded military belonging's that were lost forever......Discarded no more,they will be remebered....My mother is trying to locate "Joey Light" so I can turn over some of the belonging's from her "friend".Here's a few pic's from some of my find's today,also found a brass plate that has the word's "phillipine insurrection...1898"....NO IDEA...HH!!
 

Attachments

  • 2006_0423Image0007.webp
    2006_0423Image0007.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 605
  • 2006_0423Image0007.webp
    2006_0423Image0007.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 589
  • 2006_0504Image0001.webp
    2006_0504Image0001.webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 599
  • 2006_0504Image0002.webp
    2006_0504Image0002.webp
    22 KB · Views: 586
  • 2006_0504Image0003.webp
    2006_0504Image0003.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 594
  • 2006_0504Image0004.webp
    2006_0504Image0004.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

It's great when you can link your finds to a story. Good luck in your endeavor.
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Awesome post C-MAN.A nice piece of History...Thanks for sharing....Joe
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

This is why I like detecting.Great story and great finds,hope you can find "Joey Light". :)
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

That will make someone very happy and proud to recieve these items after so long! Good luck.
Vern
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Pennyworth said:
Wow, really super historical finds,congrats! The object in the second photo is quite large, what exactly is it?
Hey PW...I can't tell if it's brass or bronze,it's around 6x6x1/4",pretty heavy also.Had to have come off a plaque somewhere,it has two screw's coming out the back.Probably from one of his unit's.....HH!!
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Thanks it wasnt to hard to find

Ive been lurking here for a very long time. Unfortunatly I have put off buying a detector because i live in the most unfriendly state city for metal detection Austin Texas. From everything i have read from people arrested to equipment taken. If this is not true please someone straighten me out.
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Hey Civilman....Those are some nice pieces you have there....thanks for sharing! Very Nice !!! :)
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Great job civil! Youve got a great site there, and youre doing a wonderful thing with it! Keep up the good work and itll come back around.WTG on the awesome finds.Good luck with the project.
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

jasonbo said:
Thanks it wasnt to hard to find

Ive been lurking here for a very long time. Unfortunatly I have put off buying a detector because i live in the most unfriendly state city for metal detection Austin Texas. From everything i have read from people arrested to equipment taken. If this is not true please someone straighten me out.
Hey Jason..those storie's are probably about people jumping battle field fence's in the middle of the day,or not getting permission from landowner's.Just play your card's right and do some researching,drive around and just ask,There's still plenty of place's to hunt legally...and buy that detector asap....Good luck and keep us posted on your first find's,great hobby that will last a lifetime...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom