views on the Equinox 800 learning curve and my type of hunting

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, have had the Equinox 800 since March and the 6" coil since June. I came from using my AT Pro that I had for 3 years. I have switched from old home sites to lake hunting and CW relic hunting since I live in North Atlanta. It has been too hot to relic hunt will do that when the weather breaks in mid sept (I hope). Tons and tons of rain this summer literally 2-3 times each week or more. Unusual for Atlanta this time of year. Thus the relic hunting areas along the creeks are jungles. Sometimes I think I need to invest in a week eater.

But I have used this time to learn the 800 by using it in super trashy parks nearby 2-3 times per week. Reading these forums and Clive James Clynick's book on the Equinox. So I learn from the forums and youtube videos about using the 800 and then practice what I have learned. I find this the most useful way for me to learn. You will find things here on these forums not in book, manuals or even youtube videos. I created a Word document called hints and tips for the 800 and write or paste these bits of forum advice under their proper headings. thus I have for me a nice addendum to the 800 manual.

My confidence level is way up there for when I start traveling to some areas of Northwest Georgia to hunt areas around the civil war battle sites and there are plenty of them up there from Chattanooga down to Cobb county.

I have to admit coming from the AT Pro to the 800 was a shock. My first hunt in a trashy park had my Equinox speaking a foreign language to me. I could barely make heads or tales out of the many different tones. Of course I really didn't have a clue on how to properly use the machine. At first I thought the detector was defective. It was so damned chatty! I have since learned how to set up different tone breaks for the different type of areas I am hunting. For instance in my CW sites, I set the iron volume low but so I can constantly hear it and then 16-19 at a medium high tone, higher volume and everything else above that a high tone and higher volume. I don't worry about missing rings because in those CW relic areas that is not a big ring area. lake hunting in the water and on the beach I pretty much dig everything since I am looking for rings.

In the trashy park, I just play around with many different settings to see how they work in a high trash environment. We are are talking about a very small park with less than maybe 3 acres of areas along the river with picnic tables and hundreds of visitors each sat and sunday. You will see poptops, bottle caps, juice bottle seals, screw tops every 1-3 feet on the surface. But yes I can set it up so it is so quiet that it only speaks up on coins. And with the 6" coil it is almost fun hunting among all that trash!

Lots of clad and two silver rings found with the 800 in this park by just playing around and learning. Several near misses on two 1967 quarters. The park is shady, cool from the cold 60 degree river even in the summer. So perfect place for me to learn this summer. I thought I knew a lot about metal detecting but the 800 showed me I really didn't know a much as I should. The 800 force me to either learn or give up on the 800.

I would like to hear other's experiences coming from other non-minelab detectors to the Equinox. If you are a total newbie to metal detecting and have started using the Equinox I would like to hear from you also. Hint, don't give up, but it takes quite a few hours to learn all you need to learn.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Pulltab. I have 2.5 years on the Garrett Ace250 with the 11” DD coil. I had no intention on upgrading until going out with HighVDI a couple times and watch him do his magic with the 800 in parks and sport fields. I have a long way to go with my 600, but the new challenge is fun and rehitting sites is nice as well. Hang in there!

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came from using a tesoro golden µmax since the late 90's, I'm a part time hobiest, short bursts of hit it hard to skip a year or 2. The golden being a tone detector made it easier, park1 seemed almost familiar, now after a couple months i like 50 tones. I screwed around with tone breaks and think i still have a setting saved but just hitting a fresh water beach for easy digging due to an injury. If i get healthy enough to dig dirt repeatedly will dive in to advanced setting, but very happy with the EQ for now. Multi, single, frequency and the all metal at a touch of your finger is is magic to this old analog knob twister.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been digging buttons in the low range... from 2 and up. A lot of the older flats come in under 10. On those sites around Cobb county and Paulding county you will need to make sure and check those low numbers targets. They will be relics missed by those previous detectorist. The Nox will find the low conducter targets they missed in the iron. Some of those will be buttons! Pay attention on a civil war site to all beeps.... I got my tone breaks set up different but the volume is 25 on everything but iron and iron is set on 1.

quote....I have to admit coming from the AT Pro to the 800 was a shock. My first hunt in a trashy park had my Equinox speaking a foreign language to me. I could barely make heads or tales out of the many different tones. Of course I really didn't have a clue on how to properly use the machine. At first I thought the detector was defective. It was so damned chatty! I have since learned how to set up different tone breaks for the different type of areas I am hunting. For instance in my CW sites, I set the iron volume low but so I can constantly hear it and then 16-19 at a medium high tone, higher volume and everything else above that a high tone and higher volume. I don't worry about missing rings because in those CW relic areas that is not a big ring area. lake hunting in the water and on the beach I pretty much dig everything since I am looking for rings.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks Calabash you are one of my favorite relic hunters. I have learned a lot from you and really enjoy your videos.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first Minelab machine (Explorer XS) I found nada but trash, clad, and nails for 6 weeks. The only deep target I dug were rusty nails falsing high, it was getting a bit frustrating. Then someone gave me the following advice, they told me to go back out to the same NY sites I had been hunting for 6 weeks but dig ONLY deep targets. If I was finding modern trash and clad at 5 inches go deeper until I got below the trash layer. Never mind the tone or ID if it was deep, dig.

That first hunt digging only deep targets holy crap freaking 1800's coins poured out of the ground. I dug at least a dozen IH's that first hunt. Don't think I dug any silver but I dug some cool relics, buttons, shoe taps, pieces of oil lamps and toys. The top layer of trash and clad became my threshold over the next few months. Deep round targets sounded distinctly different from shallower round targets and once that registered in my brain it was easy to wade into the park trash and dig the deeper old coins out from that.

I don't now if this tip would work for you, but it was a huge game changer for me. If you start down this path, you will dig worse and worse signals that turn out to be good deep targets. About the time I thought I had dug the absolute most pitiful barely a target signal that turned out to be a coin, just horrible, a few months or a year later I'd dig one even worse. That's important because the sites I was hunting had already been pounded to death for 20 plus years. Most of the 'easy' targets were long gone. It was about target separation in trash and iron, and depth.

Last edited:

Jammin1

Aug 20, 2018
Weyburn SK.
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my 800 around 3 months ago and think l finally got the hang of it. After digging a couple 1000 pull tabs of course.... I find hunting Canadian coins some what like fishing. You get a faint hit, then jig it around a bit and your hooked on. Today got 1st Sterling silver 1908 dime. Was so happy. Hopefully can get out tomorrow to that same park again. Am hooked !!!!

pinpointer999

Aug 22, 2015
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd.
Fisher CZ21
Fisher CZ6a
Makro CF77
Minelab Musketeer XS
Whites DFX
Whites MX5
Whites IDX Pro (Mr. Bill mod.)
White's 5900/di Pro Plus (Keith Southern mod)
White's 6000/di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my 800 around 3 months ago and think l finally got the hang of it. After digging a couple 1000 pull tabs of course.... I find hunting Canadian coins some what like fishing. You get a faint hit, then jig it around a bit and your hooked on. Today got 1st Sterling silver 1908 dime. Was so happy. Hopefully can get out tomorrow to that same park again. Am hooked !!!!

Good to hear! Have heard a lot of good things about the 800. I'm sticking with my old antique detectors for now.... the DFX with a bigfoot coil is my pick for now, but i bring the rest of the herd out one at a time too to keep in practice. one 1914 silver 5 cent king george and one silver ring so far....tons of clad and junk jewelry. HH bro.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you HAPPY and having a good time with your MD? At the end of the day, that's what matters most. There are a lot of great MD out there-separated by a little here, and a little there. If you're happy with what your swingin', it really doesn't matter what it says on the label. Happy hunting!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all in what you like. I took to the 800 like a duck to water and before that I had and Etrac, Whites V3i and an AT Pro.. I knew the AT Pro as well as anyone and loved it. I wanted to upgrade so I went with the Whites V3i and never liked it so I tried the Etrac and never liked it. When I bought my 800 I fell in love with it in a few days and the 1st month I found over $400 in clad.. I haven't looked back since

GMG2

Greenie
Jun 28, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm coming from the AT Pro as well. I actually started out with an old, old Fisher but quickly moved on to the AT Pro. And I found a lot of stuff with it, but I was watching my detecting buddy find two or three times what I did with his Etrac.

I've only been out like 4 times with the 800 but I'm liking it more each time. I'm taking a liking to field2 and I hated it at first. I was just to used to the AT Pro sounds. But one thing I'm having to teach myself is to slow down. I found two Wheaties yesterday in a very high trash area by swinging very slow over a multiple target area and I doubt I ever would have found them with AT Pro. I had the little coil on and it was able to pick the coins out in the mound of trash.

I'm very much still learning but I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I came from the Minelab XTerra 70. It was an easy crossover.i think it is a takeoff better upgrade from the xterra series. The Xterra is a very good detector.

Attakpilot

Aug 8, 2020
FL East Coast
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Pulsedive
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulltab, thanks for sharing. I bet that word document would be a good read. I’m still learning the 800 I’ve been out about 5 times and it keeps getting better. Little things like hearing the iron break at the edge of the coil on a 12/13 and knowing it’s a steel bottlecap. When you first hear it you don’t know, but when it gets to the very edge of the coil you can tell. I have much to learn!

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had my equinox for 18 months roughly. I’ve been detecting all of 20months. I spent the first two months using an ATPro. In the beginning I hunted mostly parks. I killed the clad. Then I started venturing into curb strips and vacant lots. Now I try to find older sites. It’s shocking the difference the time using the Nox makes. I look at last years good finds and this years good finds and it’s 10-1. I’ve found 8 seated coins this year, an 1847 gold Ten D, a large cent, a peace dollar. Today I started playing with the Nox in 4KHZ. I found things I missed previously. A pocket watch and 2 tins that were down at 8-10 inches. They were jumpy signals, sounded like trash in multi IQ but cleaned up in 4 KHZ.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had a nox 800 for almost a year and barely have 5 minutes on it, I am worried I may not give it a chance, I have a history of doing that with at least 5 other detectors that I can think of. Am more than capable of a learning curve if my interest is sparked but have to say, do not like them. I have limited time to detect and to me, time spent fiddling around and learning is time wasted. Was planning on taking it out in the water but with all the reports of water failures, think I'll pass on that. I spent my first decade detecting with an Ace 250 and nothing else, so that'll yell you how much I like simplicity. What land hunting I do I have been using the simplex, and that to me seems like a good mix of features without being submerged in a settings loop.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your Nox, put it in default Park 1 multi frequency, auto noise cancel, 5 tones, lower sensitivity to about 18, use the horseshoe button to check for iron around targets, and go hunt the exact same places you hunted with the Simplex and see what happens. Or take them both to a new place and hunt them on the same ground. Maybe nothing good. Maybe something else good will come out of the ground. At least you will know for sure.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll try, I have multiple areas that are ripe for rehunts

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried a Nox for the first time yesterday and hated it. The iron rang in as perfectly clean targets, the depth meter always said max depth even for surface clad, and while I didn't find any silver, I don't believe I will be able to tell clad from silver.

The E-Trac has none of these problems, and yes there are workarounds; but I don't want workarounds. I watched one video of where the guy shows you all the hoops he goes thru to tell if a solid target is iron or not. Change frequencies, scan this way, that way, and so forth. In all honesty, it would have been faster to just dig than do all that. E-Trac you just look at the FE# and you have an idea, and you are almost always right on the probability of a given target being iron or deep silver. And there is some other workaround for the fact that the depth meter doesn't work; I don't remember it, tho.

I should not be commenting having used the machine only once. I'll figure the iron thing out, but the depth meter problem is a show stopper for me unless it is fixed. It just comes down to whether or not it gives me an advantage on the E-Trac. I'll come back with more comments after 100 hours on the machine, and side to side comparisons with the E-Trac.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not the correct way IMO (workarounds).....your ears will tell you after you put the time in on it. Put it in 50 tones and raise the tone pitch to 25 and low tone range to 1. Put the iron volume at 1 and the non ferrous at 25 in advanced settings. Put a hundred hours on that setup...your ears will start to click...Use your ears...and meter secondary....

ETRAC users have passed so much stuff up trusting that vdi ...OF course I am a relic hunter and dont chase deep silver in parks....learned a lot about messed up VDI s because I dig it all pretty much of good relics sites. I have Seen silver be junky signals quite a few times...from iron or other junk being close to it.
Is the Equinox gonna give you a advantage on deep silver over a Etrac in CLEAN ground...doubt it...

I have no need for a depth meter but I get it park hunters might....Let us know how it goes...

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With any detector VDI and depth are nothing more than electronic best guesses, they can be surprisingly accurate for near surface coins but notoriously unreliable after that.
I personally have stopped paying attention to depth long ago and go more by sound, I am mostly a coin shooter so its easy enough to tell by sound if you have a screamer close to the surface or a deeper coin, I combine the sound with pinpointing to gauge the size of the target. I agree that very often it would be quicker to simply dig the target than to go through the routines that some guys go through, but most of these guys want to be wizards and never dig a bottlecap. We all know that if you never dig a bottlecap then sooner or later you'll be passing on some good stuff, I guess you'll never know for sure if you don't dig it.

I have heard it said many times before, the guys detecting in the 70's before target/depth id found alot more stuff, and partially because there was alot more stuff to be found but also because they were forced to dig it all, therefore they didn't pass on anything like we do. Same logic as to why the greatest homerun hitters also had the most strikeouts, because they tried more.
No matter what style, method or machine used, I think enjoyment of the hobby is most important, and a very large factor in success or failure. It is true, the best machine anyone will ever use without any regards to price, features or brand is the one you use the most.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread