views on the Equinox 800 learning curve and my type of hunting

lunatunes

Greenie
Aug 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ETRAC users have passed so much stuff up trusting that vdi ...OF course I am a relic hunter and dont chase deep silver in parks....learned a lot about messed up VDI s because I dig it all pretty much of good relics sites. I have Seen silver be junky signals quite a few times...from iron or other junk being close to it.
Is the Equinox gonna give you a advantage on deep silver over a Etrac in CLEAN ground...doubt it...

I have no need for a depth meter but I get it park hunters might....Let us know how it goes...

The Etrac is a tone machine....Vdi is secondary although necessary to put into the equation of knowing what your target may be.
If you relying on Vdi with an Etrac then you haven't learned the machine. Keep in mind though that I am a park and coin hunter but
there is not a whole lot that I pass up. We all pass things up though now matter what machine you use or how good you know it.
For deep silver in a park I dont think there is a better machine than an Etrac or a CTX...IMO :)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 tones, or 50 tones, on the Nox it's simply a matter of which range of tones the user wishes to hear as there is no actual target information (distortion) in those selected ranges of tones, they are just standard tones assigned to either a given range (5 tones) or given number (50 tones) on the Nox's very narrow 50 position VDI scale. Due its narrow VDI range the Nox is also heavily weighted to size and shape.

What all of the above means is that, for a coin shooter per-example, there is no way of determining a clad dime from a silver dime, or a clad quarter from a silver quarter, as they will frequently/typically produce the same exact tone and same exact position on that VDI scale.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread