CRUSADER
Emerald Member
I wanted to do a separate post for this one, as it deserved it! I dedicate this post to Jeff of PA & his most recent comments on one of my latest posts.
This amazing condition plate brooch dates to the 10th-11th C AD. Our Viking period, & these brooches have strong associations with our settled Anglo-Scandinavian folk. However, no reason the Anglo-Saxon's could not have worn them. Because of the workmanship there are many that debate these must have been a high status piece.
It's not only my find of the year but my best Viking period piece ever.
Context;
Last 5 days I've nearly detected for 35 hrs.
On this field it was my most ambitious grid length that I have ever attempted, over 30% longer than average. It took 20 minutes per run with an average of 4 digs per run, meaning a stopping time of less than 2 minutes.(& you know I don't walk slow)
Cru'Dad & I had to systematically cover 14 acres.(28 combined hrs on this field)
Here is what else we found today:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ronze-age-metal-working-site.html#post5087261
This amazing condition plate brooch dates to the 10th-11th C AD. Our Viking period, & these brooches have strong associations with our settled Anglo-Scandinavian folk. However, no reason the Anglo-Saxon's could not have worn them. Because of the workmanship there are many that debate these must have been a high status piece.
It's not only my find of the year but my best Viking period piece ever.
Context;
Last 5 days I've nearly detected for 35 hrs.
On this field it was my most ambitious grid length that I have ever attempted, over 30% longer than average. It took 20 minutes per run with an average of 4 digs per run, meaning a stopping time of less than 2 minutes.(& you know I don't walk slow)
Cru'Dad & I had to systematically cover 14 acres.(28 combined hrs on this field)
Here is what else we found today:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ronze-age-metal-working-site.html#post5087261

I cant begin to imagine the process of creating that so long ago. So the center inlay is an enamel type thing, but the parts that stick out look like they have stones in them. Or perhaps they just shaped a piece of glass to fit in there. Killer find Cru!








