want to start detecting again

ocdigger

Jun 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
have not done this since mid 80s.have no idea which detector to buy.
I live in ocean city md. so beach hunting(dry &wet sand) as well as parks,playgrounds
old church and school sites are where I will be using it.
I have $4-500 to spend and have read entirely too many reviews.
so many in fact,all I managed to do was confuse myself even more
I guess I am trying to get opinions from people that live along the east coast
and hunt the same in conditions I will be using my machine in

thank you
ocdigger

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this is your very first post - so, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You didn't mention your state (or country) - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
3rd - Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

jarocki

May 27, 2013
Evansville, IN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (Tracker 4)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense to VP, however, most detectors coils these day are water proof, I know Bounty Hunters are so you can detect in shallow water as long as you do not get the box wet. I would look at Craigs list, you could buy local and not spend much. I only say this, for what if you do not like it, like you did. Then after a month if you want to upgrade, then consider one of the vendors that support this forum. But to just get back in, I think you will find something, try Bounty hunter, they are easy to use and they are a good into model. The tracker 4 is a good machine

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i live in mass and do allot of beach hunting i use a Garrett At pro works for me and costs 594.95 from kellyco 1-888-kellyco i also have great luck in land hunts with it and the At pro can go 10 feet deep. good luck and have fun

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as said welcome to the site alot of us know there are many detectors to choose from these days ur on the right track u have ur budget down and what u want to detect aswell u will however get a lot of veiws and recomendations on detectors but it does come down ultimatly to u how ever going by with what u have said and the places where u r wanting to hunt i think myself the atpro would b a great choice for u just check out what people have to say on types and brands that fall into the lines of what u r looking for and ull be fine remember anyone can say its a great detector but u will be the 1 to be using it and because it works for 1 soesnt mean it will work for another good luck its very addictive lol

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back to detecting! IF you plan to spend time at the beach, then it is helpful to get a unit with ground balance capabilities. The Whites Coinmaster GT is in your price range, but if you can go a little higher, the Garrett AT Pro is fully waterproof and will work well on beaches and land.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
O

ocdigger

Jun 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
I have a chance to buy a whites prizm 5g
any one familiar with that one
can get it for 350 is that a fair price

ocdigger

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a chance to buy a whites prizm 5g
any one familiar with that one
can get it for 350 is that a fair price

ocdigger

Its a good price & good detector I usually c them.around $450 I had a prism 4 & it was awesome obviosly I did upgrade eventually & now another tnet member has it but I think prisma r good light weight pinpointing is on very well all around u could say im a whites fan along with being a garret fan to lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given your price range and planned use, I can see why you're undecided. There isn't a machine that will do all those things well. Whatever detector you choose, there is a compromise in some area. That's why many of us have more than one machine. You may want to look into two good used reliable detectors. One being a PI machine for the salt water beach, and a good land machine with a meter and depth gauge such as a White's 5900, or, if you're lucky, a 6000. Check into joining a local detector club. They can give you advice on what works good in your soil and they might have an older detector you can try or even buy.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Atpro should come offley close to what he wants & wouldnt have to learn how to use 2, detectors to start off woupd it b better to have 2,yes but if ur just getting back into the hobby learning 1 machine is hard enough never mind 2

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I read it correctly, the OP has detected before so the learning curve shouldn't be all that tough....especially with a PI detector, which is a basic beep and dig machine. An earlier Whites's is also an easy machine to master.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have not done this since mid 80s.have no idea which detector to buy.
I live in ocean city md. so beach hunting(dry &wet sand) as well as parks,playgrounds
old church and school sites are where I will be using it.
I have $4-500 to spend and have read entirely too many reviews.
so many in fact,all I managed to do was confuse myself even more
I guess I am trying to get opinions from people that live along the east coast
and hunt the same in conditions I will be using my machine in

thank you
ocdigger

Tesoro Vaquero or Tejon. Great machines. Or if you want one detector to "do it all" as some people say, jump on the AT Pro bandwagon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ocdigger

Jun 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Tesoro Vaquero or Tejon. Great machines. Or if you want one detector to "do it all" as some people say, jump on the AT Pro bandwagon!

I had actually considered saving more money for the purchase of the Deleon,tejon,cortes
there does seem to be a lot of pros and cons on the at pro but I would consider it
for the type of hunting I will b doing beach(wet & dry)as well as playgrounds/parks

ocdigger

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had actually considered saving more money for the purchase of the Deleon,tejon,cortes
there does seem to be a lot of pros and cons on the at pro but I would consider it
for the type of hunting I will b doing beach(wet & dry)as well as playgrounds/parks

ocdigger

AT is great freshwater machine, but will not do well on on wet salty sand. I owned one for several months. Will ground balance in gulf sands of Florida at approx 15. Not going to get much depth but could use if had to. Good luck and HH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread