Wanting to starting Arrowhead Hunting.

Jan 3, 2016
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
I'm wanting to start arrowhead hunting as a hobby. I about 45 minutes East of Birmingham Alabama. I am wondering if theres any tips for a good jumping off point for searching. I've seen alot of about searching at creeks. I live next to two of them but am worried about the legality of walking down them.

I can't tell you the legality of it because I really don't know. I have found them northwest of where you are wanting to hunt, in Winston county. One in Walker. All by accident, was walking land or standing and happened to look down. The four wheeler trails in the woods kicks them up too. Especially on hillsides from what I hear. Good luck! Hope you find some! They are really cool around there they have serrated edges. I don't know enough to know the differences or time periods.:laughing7:

Last edited:
I can't tell you the legality of it because I really don't know. I have found them northwest of where you are wanting to hunt, in Winston county. One in Walker. All by accident, was walking land or standing and happened to look down. The four wheeler trails in the woods kicks them up too. Especially on hillsides from what I hear. Good luck! Hope you find some! They are really cool around there they have serrated edges. I don't know enough to know the differences or time periods.:laughing7:
Thanks for the tips, I should be able to check out some four wheeler trails soon, I'll wait until I get a good rain. Looking for Indian sites around here will probably be a challenge since most land here is privately owned forest or cow pastures!:BangHead:

I had some luck years ago in Shelby County Alabama hunting hill tops near the creeks that were being logged for the trees. Points over that way are much different than here in SW Georgia. They tend to be much smaller and typically made of white quartz or black / gray flint. Good luck and be safe.

BTW, I don't think Alabama has very strict laws on arrowhead hunting like Florida or Georgia. But, please check and get property owner permission.

Yes permission and also you can look the laws up on the net on your DNR site for your state.

Not sure where you are but I hunted around Fruithurst and Heflin Al. ,Tallapoosa and Rome Ga., but you are in a good area. There are many sites all over that area. When I was there the Al. law was that you could travel a stream if it was deep enough to float a boat, but you could not get out on the bank without the owners permission. There was always a lot of timber cutting going on around that area, ask the loggers who owns the land. A lot of the land they cut belong to timber company's and you can always go to the courthouse and find out who the owner is and get address an other info. Good Luck and HH:thumbsup:

The artifact laws are clear, the ARPA act of 1979. You are in a good area to hunt creeks as long as they are non navigable water ways and or on plowed farm fields. I use google earth and topo maps and can pic sites pretty quick. Look for high ground in the curves of rivers and creeks. Where two river meet or a creek into a river. Stay out of the flooded silty areas and look for areas of erosion. Ask permission and start where stuff has been found before so you learn to see worked flint. Farmers are your friends treat them with respect and offer to help them. Sometimes one place leads to another.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Also when you ask for permission have something in your car or truck to trade with. Farmers like pies, buckets if they have a farm and I make sticks for walking and the small sticks for the cows. I call them cow sticks the farmers like them to poke the cows with to make them walk. Deer season is over soon so I am making as many as I can rite now to trade for permission.

Flat ground near large springs is always good, as long as it is out of the flood plain.

Ask Farmers for permission, try to hunt after the field is plowed, but before it is planted, many are plowed after harvest, giving you all winter to search.

Good luck, post some pics of your finds.

I'm wanting to start arrowhead hunting as a hobby. I about 45 minutes East of Birmingham Alabama. I am wondering if theres any tips for a good jumping off point for searching. I've seen alot of about searching at creeks. I live next to two of them but am worried about the legality of walking down them.

Jump in and get yur feet wet...

Watch out for cottonmouths...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back