was Waltz shot gun ever found ?

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found a old rusted shot gun in the mine i found standing in the corner of the mine . i could not get the gun to brake open and i left it there not knowing if it was still loaded . i did not see any writing on the gun but i don't think it was American made ,is this why Waltz never told anyone where the mine was because he was going to let his shot gun do the talking for him .. ? he knew it was made in Germany the same time he left for America ... who knows i have had so much heart ache i may never go back ... just wanted to know .. ?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shotgun would have been lost in the flood that washed away his house.
Why would he leave it in a mine that he said he had spent several days covering up, when he needed it for protection ?
Did it talk to you .....in German ?

Last edited:

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There was a move a long time ago titled “Desperately seeking Susan”
This reminds me of that movie, only the title is Desperately seeking attention.......:laughing7:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a move a long time ago titled “Desperately seeking Susan”
This reminds me of that movie, only the title is Desperately seeking attention.......:laughing7:

That must be the curse he's been talking about ....the curse of needing attention.
Lots of folks seem to get caught by that one.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That must be the curse he's been talking about ....the curse of needing attention.
Lots of folks seem to get caught by that one.
I have been known to have been so afflicted........from time to time.

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably under the bed where he died.. next to the box of gold... just saying..

OP
OP
Blindbowman

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's funny you are all the most brilliant Dutch Hunters but yet you miss the most simple of clues ,.. as a kid i worked in Gun shop cleaning guns . thousands of them . the shot gun i saw was not American made . Waltz knew if anyone found the mine there was only one way to prove it was his mine ..his shot gun didn't wash away . its setting right where he put it ... good luck to all i am retiring and i wish all the best ...all my brothers are dead and i have one sister left . my treasure hunting days are over . i found out what i wanted to know .. stay safe stay free

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is really rusted shut or frozen in place. Get some Koil and just pour it on the hinges etc a couple of treatments over a few days. That stuff breaks anything loose. Use an eyedroper and let it soap in

OP
OP
Blindbowman

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not going back , i am retired .. i did look this gun up . it was made from 1835 to 1840 it was a 16gage sxs hammer 29 inch barrel with a 9.6 stock .. that makes the over all length 38.6 or 3ft 2 inches and yes that would have fit in his gun box that was 4ft long ... here a gun very close to the one i saw ...it really dose not matter at this point i hope the info can help someone ...

Attachments

• GERMAN-J-P-SAUER-and-SOHN-SxS-HAMMER-Shotgun-16-Gauge-Double-Barrel-CandR-Early-20th-Century-Sho.jpg
    GERMAN-J-P-SAUER-and-SOHN-SxS-HAMMER-Shotgun-16-Gauge-Double-Barrel-CandR-Early-20th-Century-Sho.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 111

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the info can not help anyone.. unless you tell where you left it.. just sayin.. but i dont think he would have left his self defense behind as he carried out his gold.. it was a hostile area...

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
the info can not help anyone.. unless you tell where you left it.. just sayin.. but i dont think he would have left his self defense behind as he carried out his gold.. it was a hostile area...

I would tend to agree, as I do not think anyone would leave behind an important item to survival, unless broken, or wasn’t theirs. I don’t think Waltz left “his” shotgun in his mine.

BB,
Just my opinion, but why burry up with a shotgun inside, unless the mine was also a burial.
There is also the account of one of the caches being buried just right on top of the filled in mine.
When the shotgun was found, was there any thing else, old timber just outside the mine somewhere, plus the rest of dug out fill?.

Im curios how you reason this out. It may be of great benefit to finding the elusive LDM
Idahodutch

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would tend to agree, as I do not think anyone would leave behind an important item to survival, unless broken, or wasn’t theirs. I don’t think Waltz left “his” shotgun in his mine.

BB,
Just my opinion, but why burry up with a shotgun inside, unless the mine was also a burial.
There is also the account of one of the caches being buried just right on top of the filled in mine.
When the shotgun was found, was there any thing else, old timber just outside the mine somewhere, plus the rest of dug out fill?.

Im curios how you reason this out. It may be of great benefit to finding the elusive LDM
Idahodutch
I think you forgot, this is an imaginary gun, unless you choose to believe that there was only one German in Arizona at the time, or that there was only one German gun in Arizona at the time....perhaps Germany only made one gun?

OP
OP
Blindbowman

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you forgot, this is an imaginary gun, unless you choose to believe that there was only one German in Arizona at the time, or that there was only one German gun in Arizona at the time....perhaps Germany only made one gun?
no the fact is Larry Hendricks did a video on Waltz and if i had not seen that video i would have forgot all about the gun . and have for more 14 years ... i just never thought it was important till i saw Larry's video the other day .. and no Larry talked about where the gun came from and what it was and when Waltz got the gun . like i was thinking the same thing you are . the gun was just a old rusted gun .. but think of what the legend stated . if waltz had ran into Apache he may not have had any more shells for the gun and did not want any one to steal it and that may have been why he left it there ... maybe the gold was just to heavy to carry the gun and gold .. this maybe why waltz wanted to go back to the mine even if he had gold ...but think of this . Waltz put the gun in the mine before he covered it mine up ...i don't know why he did that i don't really care why ... but putting the gun there it had a serial number ,that might prove it was Waltz gun and no one else... i am working a sled . and i don't plain on going back right away if i ever do .. so like i said it really don't matter to me ...

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy BB,

Waltz covered his mine so that it would not be found. He had no reason to leave his shotgun behind as proof to any finder since he did not expect it to be found. Besides, an old rusty shotgun proves nothing, it is the ore that does the talking. It doen't take a Shameman to know it is not the LDM.

Homar

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My gosh - if I had a nickel for every time BB said "it doesn't matter anymore," or "it doesn't matter at this point," or "none of this matters," etc.... I'd have more than most people who search for treasure in the Superstitions have ever found (other than the peace, beauty and solitude that I find).

You've left and come back so many times it's impossible to keep track - you have staying power BB, I'll give you that. It's amazing over the years to see you twist and convolute so many legends, stories, etc... adding shamanism, master navigational skills, stone maps, vision quests, Lord knows what else and now even finding Waltz's old shotgun that you left behind in "your mine."

You sure have kept us entertained over the years. Almost makes me wish I had said hello at the Rendezvous that year you showed up and hiked out to Chuck Crawford's old diggings which you were 100% certain was Waltz's mine at that time.

Hang in there man, I know there are many more unsolved mysteries the world could use your help solving.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
BB,
the shotgun is an awesome find. Although shells ..... don’t think they were around 1835 - 1840 .... maybe 1860’s.
Was a powder horn in there with it?
Was it caps or flintlock?

Pm me where, and I’ll let you know if it is the LDM 😎

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My gosh - if I had a nickel for every time BB said "it doesn't matter anymore," or "it doesn't matter at this point," or "none of this matters," etc.... I'd have more than most people who search for treasure in the Superstitions have ever found (other than the peace, beauty and solitude that I find).

You've left and come back so many times it's impossible to keep track - you have staying power BB, I'll give you that. It's amazing over the years to see you twist and convolute so many legends, stories, etc... adding shamanism, master navigational skills, stone maps, vision quests, Lord knows what else and now even finding Waltz's old shotgun that you left behind in "your mine."

You sure have kept us entertained over the years. Almost makes me wish I had said hello at the Rendezvous that year you showed up and hiked out to Chuck Crawford's old diggings which you were 100% certain was Waltz's mine at that time.

Hang in there man, I know there are many more unsolved mysteries the world could use your help solving.

Now that was awesome!!! He might become a legend himself. Will take many years and many a men to decipher his numerous post ramblings.

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't guess you found a very expensive bottle of scotch with that shotgun did you ?

OP
OP
Blindbowman

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to old . i am staying home with my gal .. "yes, it is out there !"

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread