What's new

Washington token ? Medal ? 51 st reg. co K ?

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
1,369
Reaction score
67
Golden Thread
0
Location
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I'm hoping someone can id this token/medalion/thing that I found today.On one side is a bust of Washington with lettering around the edge and on the back it reads "CO K" 51st REG NYSV (New York state volunteers ?) With writing around the edge as well. It was found at a cornfield site that has mostly produced colonial finds...I found an 1800 large cent about 10 foot away from were I found this.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0023.webp
    IMG_0023.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0024.webp
    IMG_0024.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 267
I only see that unit listed as a Civil War military group, most likely a soldier's ID tag, for my guess.

Don
 
Upvote 0
Thanks y'all.....pretty cool ! Now I need to see if I can find out who it may have belonged to. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
A friend of mine dug one of these about a year ago in the same condition as yours and was offered $800. for it. They are highly collectible. And very valuable. Awesome find! :headbang:
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • IMG_0024.webp
    IMG_0024.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Civil War ID tag NYSV.webp
    Civil War ID tag NYSV.webp
    50.5 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0
kieser sousa/rip said:
Thanks y'all.....pretty cool ! Now I need to see if I can find out who it may have belonged to. :thumbsup:
Its a shame the name is missing on the top. All I see is a C/G/O? and a W.
 
Upvote 0
Wearing a dog tag would have been an oddity in the Civil War since the U.S. military didn't officially start issuing dog tags until 1913. But during the Civil War, merchants known as sutlers followed the troops and would offer identification tags for sale just prior to battles. Too many soldiers saw too many grave crosses marked UNKNOWN, so they chose to either write their names on paper and pin it to the uniform or, as here, they bought a tag from a merchant.
Don.......
 
Upvote 0
I, too, vote banner. A refreshing find! They offered disability pension for diarrhea?
 

Attachments

  • ID3.webp
    ID3.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. I think I may be able to get a name for this.The site were I found it has a well known history so I think it shouldent be to hard to figger out.

as a side note....I once lived on an old farm site less than a mile from the old Salem church in Fredricksburg VA.The 51'st fought in that area and I used to imagine that some of the relics I dug there were lost by men of the 51st.
 
Upvote 0
That's a good one! Too bad about the condition, but I have to go through the same thing every time I pop a Rev War pewter button. In 10 years I've never found a completely round one. :-\
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom