What's new

WATCH AND CLOCK MAKERS PRINTING PLATE..SOLVED BY DCMATT AND CURIOUS THE GEORGE!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
9,388
Reaction score
1,685
Golden Thread
0
Location
PA-MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I get home I have an hour of daylight left :( Since it's deer hunting season,I split my time.I live on 154 ac. so I had a 1/2 hr. for the MXT and a 1/2 hr. for the Remington ;D Anyway,let me start with I knew excactly what this puppy was when I popped the plug (9").....A mangled pice of brass :laughing7: Seriously,I put it on the recycle bin and left for the bank barn for the last 1/2 hr.Got back and soap and watered it with a soft toothbrush and started revealing bit by bit an engraving that I can't even get a decent image from.....Yet!!!!(stay tuned).It's all hatch marked on the front and as you can see in some of the cleaned picture's some of the detail........Enough said,In the Eye of the Beholder!!!By the way it was found 15ft. from my Block A button!!!

SEE BELOW OR READ FOR THE RIDE TO SEE :icon_thumright: FAR FROM IT!!!!
 

Attachments

  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 005.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 005.webp
    107.2 KB · Views: 3,705
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 034.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 034.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 3,878
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 031.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 031.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 3,869
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 028.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 028.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 3,880
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 025.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 025.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 3,886
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 019.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 019.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,745
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 018.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 018.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,762
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 008.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 008.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,757
  • CLIPPED BELT PLATE 012.webp
    CLIPPED BELT PLATE 012.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 3,674
Upvote 0
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Fantastic my friend congratulations. :thumbsup:

Burdie
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

Finally got some sun today to allow me to get some more detailed pic's,here they are....
 

Attachments

  • ENGRAVED  CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 053.webp
    ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 053.webp
    81.1 KB · Views: 3,536
  • ENGRAVED  CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 046.webp
    ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 046.webp
    127.2 KB · Views: 3,573
  • ENGRAVED  CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 042.webp
    ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 042.webp
    133.7 KB · Views: 3,515
  • ENGRAVED  CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 038.webp
    ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 038.webp
    93.2 KB · Views: 3,455
  • ENGRAVED  CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 032.webp
    ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 032.webp
    60 KB · Views: 3,415
  • ENGRAVED  CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 055.webp
    ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 055.webp
    79.9 KB · Views: 3,527
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

Any luck figuring out what it says?
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

deathhare said:
Any luck figuring out what it says?
Getting there.....at least I'm hopefull :thumbsup:
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

Curious The George said:
If the lettering is backwards then it is an engraved copper printing plate, not a belt plate.
There's no chance it could ever be a printing plate George,not deep enough for one and the front side initial's read right.Clipped corner to boot.Solder mark's......I don't think so my friend :thumbsup:
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

Thats a cool plate Joe. its tough to tell but use some goog magnification and study small sections and draw it out
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

Cool find, Joe!
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

MaineRelic said:
Thats a great relic Civilman My hats off to you :hello2: Nice piece off history :icon_sunny: Would display great in a frame with the history of the find and translation of all the inscriptions . M.R.
Thank's MR,that's excactly what I plan on doing!! :headbang:

Burdie said:
Fantastic my friend congratulations. :thumbsup:

Burdie
Thank you Stan :thumbsup:
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

jamesbibb said:
Thats a cool plate Joe. its tough to tell but use some goog magnification and study small sections and draw it out
I thought about that Jame's but the hatch mark's would drive me crazy.Maybe if I get some time Sunday I'll fart around with it .Deer season still in?
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!!

civilman1 said:
Curious The George said:
If the lettering is backwards then it is an engraved copper printing plate, not a belt plate.
There's no chance it could ever be a printing plate George,not deep enough for one and the front side initial's read right.Clipped corner to boot.Solder mark's......I don't think so my friend :thumbsup:

Intaglio (play /ɪnˈtæli.oʊ/ in-tal-ee-oh) is a family of printmaking techniques in which the image is incised into a surface, known as the matrix or plate, and the incised line or area holds the ink. Normally, copper or zinc plates are used as a surface, and the incisions are created by etching, engraving, drypoint, aquatint or mezzotint. Collographs may also be printed as intaglio plates.
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

It's looking like there is a city map carved on it? Cool piece, HH
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

Joe, here's why I thought it is printing plate. A couple of months ago, a friend of the Trio here in middle Tennessee dug this plate at an old home site. He thought he had dug a belt plate. He posted it on another internet site and it was quickly identified as a printing plate. The lady whose name is reverse printed on it was the future wife of Rufus G. Hibbet according to his research. Now, Rufus had a school named for him in Florence, Alabama and was the founder of Hibbet's Sporting Goods. Keep trying to read the name on your plate as it may be somebody famous too (especially considering your area). It's a good find. HH, Quindy.
 

Attachments

  • J.R.\'s Printing Plate.webp
    J.R.\'s Printing Plate.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,736
  • Printing Plate Reverse Side.webp
    Printing Plate Reverse Side.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,743
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

Why clipped corner and solder marks? I'm sorry, I don't agree. The one side is written backwards and the letters on the other side written correctly, which would make it a clipped corner decorated printing plate? :icon_scratch:. I still say belt plate, to each it's own I guess.
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

It would be completely possible that this clipped corner belt plate was broken then someone decided to engrave on it for self printing purposes after the fact. It looks like a belt plate to me though. I have been wanting one of those for a long time. It is on my bucket list!
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

If it were an printing plate it would be copper, not brass, eh?
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

I don't see any place where it has been cleaned sufficiently to determine that it isn't copper.
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

Here is the side with the reverse lettering. I have flipped it so the writing is no longer backwards. Changed it to a gray scale image and played with the contrast and brightness.

You can now see the writing as it would be if printed on a piece of paper. However I still can't read but a few of the letters. When the item is cleaned better then this could be done again so the writing could be read clearly.
 

Attachments

  • ENGRAVED  CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 1.webp
    ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 1.webp
    126.1 KB · Views: 2,671
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

"The other side the only thing I see that is recognizable looks like a pig, not lettering. Someone who sees lettering on that side please point out where"

8th pic down at the start of this thread.Letter's M (left) B (right) clear as day :thumbsup:
 
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

Here is the other image of the photo.

This one starts out upside down. I turned it right side up, then flipped it so the writing shows properly, converted to gray scale then played with the contrast and brightness.

Still can't make out very many letters. The first one in the first word looks to be an I, but could be a T. There is a decorative border around it and I think I see a bird with spread wings below the oval with the writing. Could be an eagle. That doesn't make it a belt plate, it was a common symbol after the founding of our country.

I am not trying to throw cold water on a great find. But I do think it ain't a belt plate.

Those who still think it is, tell me where to look for the places that the loops and hooks that would have been needed to put it on your belt were attached.
 

Attachments

  • ENGRAVED  CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 032.webp
    ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE 032.webp
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,517
Re: ENGRAVED CLIPPED CORNER BELT PLATE!!....UPDATED CLOSE UP PIC'S!!!

civilman1 said:
"The other side the only thing I see that is recognizable looks like a pig, not lettering. Someone who sees lettering on that side please point out where"

8th pic down at the start of this thread.Letter's M (left) B (right) clear as day :thumbsup:

That would be correct if the thing was being held right side up. When you turn that engraved area up, it's backwards, just like the lettering on the other side.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom