Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks its a wheatie.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheatie.

Saturday I picked up a friend of mine Becky (Diggitdoggie here on TNet) and took her to the Berg for the afternoon. I figured we would start at the area we have called the "wheatfield" because of the close to 3000 wheat cents that have been dug there the past two seasons. We hiked in and as I was hooking my backpack onto the same damn tree limb that is has hung from a hundred times before, I was explaining to her how simple it was to find a wheatie there. I turned the DFX on, ground balanced and swung it a foot or so and got the familiar tone. She couldn't believe that I had found a coin already so I dug the plug and popped out a nice wheat. While still kneeling I grabbed the DFX and swung again over the hole and heard another wheatie tone. "There's another one here". The Lesche popped out a beautiful silver disk. Man how I wanted that sucker to be a Barber...but it was a 1942 Walker.
DSCF1526.JPG
DSCF1529.JPG
DSCF1530.JPG
Hey..I'm not bitching...big silver's great anytime..and it has been a few months since I have dug a half. The rest of the afternoon we found only some more wheats even after trying a few different areas. Becky dug some wheats but I think the amount of old square nails at the wheatfield were giving her ACE250 fits. Later it was beers and wings at BW3 so it was all good ;D
My feet were killing me and I figured I'd just chill today and watch the Browns, but I woke up feeling ok and went back for another shot on my own. This time I hunted areas at the Berg I don't normally hunt, hoping to scratch up some more silver. Between Mirage, Nate and myself we have POUNDED the Berg and she's not giving it up like she used to. :D
I ended up with a few dozen more wheats and a 1936 Merc...well worn. It was in a hole with a cool "humidifier"...probably for keeping tobacco moist. (excuse the crappy pic, it was getting dark fast)
DSCF1533.JPG
Unlike Nate, I usually don't clean my wheats...just toss 'em into a big glass bowl. (it's about 10" deep with wheats now) but tonight I cleaned em and found two nice semi key dates.
A 1909 VDB wheatie
DSCF1536.JPG
DSCF1537.JPG
And a 1913S wheatie
DSCF1535.JPG
Stuff from the two hunts
DSCF1534.JPG

HH all!!

Upvote 0

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheatie.

Nice 1909 wheat . To bad it didnt have an S on it.
Still is a great find.

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA
Re: Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheatie.

hey Danimal

Great looking coin you guys are still killin that site, awesome keep up the good work...3000 wheat's....wow... H.H.. TnT

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Agien I'm jealous, I got 3 good sights opened up to me and between the deer hunters (that i was entertaining) and the Misrebale weather I dident detect at all except to find the wing nut I lost off my automatic corn feeder (but it still made me smile). It rained and was in the 40's all weekend, I dont mind some snow occasionaly but when my feet get wet and cold I'm done.

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Nice digs, Dan! That Walker is a sweet one. Keep on swinging, my friend!

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

I have just been PMed by a few here who might not have followed the Berg story and think I am complaining about finding these two silvers.... Let me reitterate...I am NOT complaining.

So you all understand...here's a picture of ONE day's coins from the Berg's early days

Attachments

• 11-4hunt 006.jpg
    11-4hunt 006.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 854

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheati

Dan,
Congrats. Great job on the half! I think if I saw that humidifier piece in the hole, I would have thought "silver".
Thanks for the post. Any snow yet?
-MM-

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Nice Half. I had a close call yesterday by finding a plain 1914 wheat. There could be a key wheat out there.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

SWEET finds :o man i'd love to find a place like that where i live ! the half is a beautie congrats ;)

Mrs Bloom

Nov 3, 2007
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Re: Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheati

Cool finds. Any speculation on how all those coins you've been finding ended up in that field?

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's an awesome site man. Big silver WOOT!

1909 VDB. Never found one of those. Nice.
Ken

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great finds....That is the second post I just read with a Walker being found. Congrats.

NJ

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Looks like a great afternoon..a 1942 Walker, a 1909 VDB, and a good friend dectecting with you. Life does not get much better. Congrats on the finds.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

The Berg will go down as one of the legendary places in the annals of metal detecting! Congrats on that nice looking half! 3000 wheats, thats mind boggling!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Sounds like you both had a great time! Those are some nice finds

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

yardqueen said:
Cool finds. Any speculation on how all those coins you've been finding ended up in that field?

We assume there was a penny pitch game set up in sawdust or something like that. We know the area had fairs and carnivals long ago.

Thanks Kirk for placing the link. We haven't had them update that in a loooong time.

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio

First of all a huge thanks Dan for taking me along.
Aside from having a blast, I did get some wheats and (as Danimal correctly surmised) some square nails. (Still no camera folks..sorry.)
I was suitably impressed with not only the berg itself but with Danimal's proficiency with the Dfx.
I got to tell you, when you plucked that silver out expecting to find another wheatie, it was great.
All in all it was a really nice day of hunting, good company and good food.

Congrats on the Walker..and glad you got out again today!

DD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread