Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks its a wheatie.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheatie.

Saturday I picked up a friend of mine Becky (Diggitdoggie here on TNet) and took her to the Berg for the afternoon. I figured we would start at the area we have called the "wheatfield" because of the close to 3000 wheat cents that have been dug there the past two seasons. We hiked in and as I was hooking my backpack onto the same damn tree limb that is has hung from a hundred times before, I was explaining to her how simple it was to find a wheatie there. I turned the DFX on, ground balanced and swung it a foot or so and got the familiar tone. She couldn't believe that I had found a coin already so I dug the plug and popped out a nice wheat. While still kneeling I grabbed the DFX and swung again over the hole and heard another wheatie tone. "There's another one here". The Lesche popped out a beautiful silver disk. Man how I wanted that sucker to be a Barber...but it was a 1942 Walker.
DSCF1526.JPG
DSCF1529.JPG
DSCF1530.JPG
Hey..I'm not bitching...big silver's great anytime..and it has been a few months since I have dug a half. The rest of the afternoon we found only some more wheats even after trying a few different areas. Becky dug some wheats but I think the amount of old square nails at the wheatfield were giving her ACE250 fits. Later it was beers and wings at BW3 so it was all good ;D
My feet were killing me and I figured I'd just chill today and watch the Browns, but I woke up feeling ok and went back for another shot on my own. This time I hunted areas at the Berg I don't normally hunt, hoping to scratch up some more silver. Between Mirage, Nate and myself we have POUNDED the Berg and she's not giving it up like she used to. :D
I ended up with a few dozen more wheats and a 1936 Merc...well worn. It was in a hole with a cool "humidifier"...probably for keeping tobacco moist. (excuse the crappy pic, it was getting dark fast)
DSCF1533.JPG
Unlike Nate, I usually don't clean my wheats...just toss 'em into a big glass bowl. (it's about 10" deep with wheats now) but tonight I cleaned em and found two nice semi key dates.
A 1909 VDB wheatie
DSCF1536.JPG
DSCF1537.JPG
And a 1913S wheatie
DSCF1535.JPG
Stuff from the two hunts
DSCF1534.JPG

HH all!!

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheati

Danimal said:
I have just been PMed by a few here who might not have followed the Berg story and think I am complaining about finding these two silvers.... Let me reitterate...I am NOT complaining.

So you all understand...here's a picture of ONE day's coins from the Berg's early days

Dan,
That picture of your finds from the Old Berg is amazing!!! I couldn't imaging finding that much silver. :o
Thanks for the picture, I'm going back to drool some more.
-Doug-
MM

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheatie.

Way to go, Dan! I think it's time for another pose, with a third Walker.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheatie.

I don't think this place is going to end anytime soon....Congrat's and HH!!

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What a great hunting spot..congrats on finding the WLH and all the other great coins!

Nat

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio
Re: Weekend hunt at the Berg with Diggitdoggie. Walker that thinks it's a wheati

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Long Live The Berg...

Dang it Becky you are soooo lucky... ;D

Congratulations on another SUPERB day at the berg...

Way to go,

Nick

Yes, I agree Nick.

Becky

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Dan, Congrats on your Big Silver. It's amazing how a big silver coin could be so elusive. I would have figured that would have been found by you and your buds long ago at that spot. It's happened to me too; twice this year. I've pounded a place thinking there couldn't possibly be any big finds left, and then proceed to find a walker on my 10th trip.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another great Berg hunt! Nice you got out with a female detector, not insinuating anything, just saying it's nice. HH, Mike

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice digs bud. Don't you just love old sites that have produced for years...that just keep on shelling out goodies? No they may not give up tons of silver anymore...but you know that each time there is at least a chance of pulling one out.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

halfdime said:
Way to go, Dan! I think it's time for another pose, with a third Walker.

Where would I put the third one?

ModernMiner said:
Dan,
That picture of your finds from the Old Berg is amazing!!! I couldn't imaging finding that much silver. :o
Thanks for the picture, I'm going back to drool some more.
-Doug-
MM
That wasn't even the best one hunt from the old days Doug....let me dig up another one that'll blow your socks off....

Captn_SE said:
Dan, Congrats on your Big Silver. It's amazing how a big silver coin could be so elusive. I would have figured that would have been found by you and your buds long ago at that spot. It's happened to me too; twice this year. I've pounded a place thinking there couldn't possibly be any big finds left, and then proceed to find a walker on my 10th trip.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Dan...(great name BTW)..I swear it was pulled from the same spot where Bob, Nate and myself have been on our hands and knees practically excavating the area until it looked like the surface of the moon...and pulled literally hundreds and hundreds oh wheats...and that sucker laid there the whole time. Amazing what changing conditions can do.

Bavaria Mike said:
Another great Berg hunt! Nice you got out with a female detector, not insinuating anything, just saying it's nice. HH, Mike
Becky and I go way back and it was fun to get out detecting together. She's got a few old sites in PA lined up too for next time :)

silverfreak said:
Nice digs bud. Don't you just love old sites that have produced for years...that just keep on shelling out goodies? No they may not give up tons of silver anymore...but you know that each time there is at least a chance of pulling one out.
That's the continued allure of the Iceberg. Unless we find another hotspot ( still a possibility as some areas are so overgrown they're near impossible to hunt) you can still work hard and EXPECT a silver or two.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow Dan, Great find. As always you and our crew come up with some great finds at the Berg.

Not to be out done, Gary and I were out this past weekend and I came up with a 1942 Walking Liberty Half dollar and a 1953 Franklin half at our Happy Trails site. That darn site just keep giving up the goodies. When you think there isn't anymore to be found Bam!, up pops something else to blow your mind.

I know it's the same way at the Berg. Tell your wife that using the ACE isn't all bad. That's what Gary and I always use. Tell her to hunt in either Coins or Jewelry and turn down her Sensitivity. The only way I dig square nails is when I'm in all metal. Even in all metal the ACE still sounds off good to good signals and has a dull sound for junk metal.

Good Luck to her and you and all your friends.

HH,Ringfinder

Attachments

• Franklin & Liberty.jpg
    Franklin & Liberty.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 469
  • Franklin & Liberty.jpg
    Franklin & Liberty.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 457

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NOOOOOO! You changed yer avatar! :o That's a scary one!

Great that you two got out for a hunt..and looks like a successful one too! :)

Congrats on the finds you two!! Nana :)

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Ringfinder, (Gary)....Becky is an old friend., not my wife! I guess it's true about how some folks dont read posts all that well lol. And remember way back, I used to do pretty well with an Ace but thanks for the pointers anyways. Congrats on the great day at Happy Trails (not to be outdone you say? I didn't know this was a competition!)

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio

ringfinder said:
Wow Dan, Great find. As always you and our crew come up with some great finds at the Berg.

Not to be out done, Gary and I were out this past weekend and I came up with a 1942 Walking Liberty Half dollar and a 1953 Franklin half at our Happy Trails site. That darn site just keep giving up the goodies. When you think there isn't anymore to be found Bam!, up pops something else to blow your mind.

I know it's the same way at the Berg. Tell your wife that using the ACE isn't all bad. That's what Gary and I always use. Tell her to hunt in either Coins or Jewelry and turn down her Sensitivity. The only way I dig square nails is when I'm in all metal. Even in all metal the ACE still sounds off good to good signals and has a dull sound for junk metal.

Good Luck to her and you and all your friends.

HH,Ringfinder

Thanks Ring, I like the ace and had a great time hunting with Dan.
I wasn't having a great deal of difficulty with the ace..more difficulty with cell phone calls..lol
Dan is a longtime and good friend, a dear friend even but I am not his wife. :D

Sounds like you had a good weekend too. Congrats!
Becky

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Again...the early days at the 'Berg. This is from one hunt.

Attachments

• weekendtotal.jpg
    weekendtotal.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 386
  • weekendtotal.jpg
    weekendtotal.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 400

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Danimal said:
Again...the early days at the 'Berg. This is from one hunt.

:o :o :o WOW!!! :o :o :o
That is amazing Dan. You guys had / have one helluva spot there. I struggle just finding ONE silver. :'(
Thanks for posting the picture up.
-MM-

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Danimal said:
Ringfinder, (Gary)....Becky is an old friend., not my wife! I guess it's true about how some folks don't read posts all that well lol. And remember way back, I used to do pretty well with an Ace but thanks for the pointers anyways. Congrats on the great day at Happy Trails (not to be outdone you say? I didn't know this was a competition!)

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch,

So sorry I didn't mean to offend you. Becky wrote me and told me it happens all the time when people see you two together. Yep Guess I missed the part where you said she was just a good friend. Sorry bout that. As for competition, not really, just thought I would show you what I found this past weekend.

Anywho, hope you guys had a good day today, man I had to drive to Wisconsin today and it was colder than heck up there.

HH,Ringfinder

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio

:D
Back in the Pokemon days..(how's that for dating oneself!) we ran a league together and people would make the mistake that we were connected because we were almost always there together. (One of us judged while the other was the tournament operator and my daughter and Dan's son played.)

So no harm done Denny. :)

It was windy as heck here and COLD. I think we have to concede that winter is coming. :'(

Becky

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice looking finds Dan.

I love to find halfs. Lance scored a really nice barber half at one of my sites a few weeks ago. It was his first. He was really excited. It was a 1908 S in really nice shape.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Denny, I even threw in the "lol" so you would know I wasn'nt serious. Like Becky said we are used to it. Jeremy, tell Lance cnngrats on the Barber half! It's on my list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread