Weird nickel

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I was just looking at some other posts and saw a beat up nickel. It reminded me that I have this weird nickel that has a blob of what I'm pretty sure is more nickel with two or three letters impressed into it.(under magnification) The material is not solder, nor do I believe it was done after the nickel was made. I may be all wrong, but I believe it is a mint error in which excess nickel was adhered to the coin and then repunched to get the letters in it.
Does anyone agree with me, and if so, do you think it would be worth submitting to a coin grading company like PCGS or NGC for slabbing as an error?
If I'm wrong, please tell me so--I can take it!

P,S, I don't think I have posted this before. If so, I apologize!

Attachments

• IMG_7968.JPG
    IMG_7968.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7969.JPG
    IMG_7969.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7970.JPG
    IMG_7970.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 50

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a chop mark.

but honestly the deepness of the detail of the Indians bangs back, looks too sharp to be genuine to me

But I'm going to Say Hobo Nickel,
but a more recent then from the hobo years

circled area all looks carved and or stamped

IMG_7970.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
looks like a chop mark.

but honestly the deepness of the detail of the Indians bangs back, looks too sharp to be genuine to me

But I'm going to Say Hobo Nickel,
but a more recent then from the hobo years
Thanks....may be. Could you see any of the letters in the "blob"? Just wondering where they came from.
It just occured to me that chop marks often have letters--sorry for the oversight!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks....may be. Could you see any of the letters in the "blob"? Just wondering where they came from.
It just occured to me that chop marks often have letters--sorry for the oversight!

OH & Chop Marks are Usually Chinese Type Characters I Think, But I Couldn't think of the Words "Counter stamp" :tongue3:
& Figured Chop mark would work too to get my Point accross

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Looks like an American Indian on a horse.

Thank you metrotec and everyone else for your comments which are right on the mark. I'm looking at this thing under a magnifying glass right now. and I can see (I think!) the letters "I, B, E" which look a lot like the letters in "LIBERTY" on this and many American coins (although the letters are larger than the ones in LIBERTY on this Nickel) Kind of like Oak Island-every answer is a good one, but brings up more questions! Many thanks to all who have responded so far!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I my guess Due to the Pressure used to Work on the Obverse

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions