Weird Pocket

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The other day I found a weird pocket in the bedrock. It was a small hole that opened up into a big pocket beneath the bedrock and its very rough on all sides of it. I was pulling out some weird looking crunchy material. I chiseled it open as much as I could and took a chunk of it home. Here's what the inside looks like all the way around.

image-230129034.jpg

The pocket gets really narrow at the bottom and keeps going down. Found some gold in there but I don't think I'll be getting to the bottom.. Anyone else find something like this? Also anyone know f pyrite is heavy? In the same area if I break the bedrock up and pan it out I have a silver sand that stays behind that's heavy like black sand. Not sure what it is. I've found nuggets that seem to be the same type of stuff. Stays behind with the heavies.

Upvote 0

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We run into several of these weekly.
Some produce... some are dead.
Often they are in areas where the bedrock shelf has fractured in a BIG way... like seismic activity.
The key is... are they on the pay / gold deposit line.
If you are finding gold around them, you probably should keep digging.
If the area is light in gold... it's just a good place to bury that neighbor that keeps letting their dog poo on your yard.
The big problem...
If you're like me.... you can't leave them alone.
What if... ???????
That one hole holds a full ounce?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All along the trinity dam-ie coffee/bonanza creeks % EF/NF/shasta/trinity counties you tap tap tap with a rock hammer to listen for voids in greenstone and smash/bash/crash and like magic hidden gold. To test silver stuff same as gold-take a metal object,knife,ifn' it cracks,crumbles or goes crunch not pt group or gold and yes that nasty old iron pyrite is bloody heavy-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread