Well it finally happened....

Ju8vP3t

Walk into the bank today, for business, not to pick up boxes, I'm at the teller, and another teller whom I have talked to in the past, comes over and holds out her hand and said " do you collect these?" I looked, she had 10 Halves in her hand, turns out to be 6 Walkers and 4 Franks, I said " YES!!!" so I got 'em, in the past, wherever I was, I'd always ask " do you have any halves?" and the response was always "No", so needless to say, I thanked her very much and asked if or when she came across others that looked like that to please save 'em for me......was a nice day today

Upvote 0

Young River

Nov 23, 2008
Hewitt, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Congratulations on your find!! :thumbsup: You guys would probably hate on me. I hope not. I used to be a bank teller for about 15 years...not anymore though. There are times that folks bring in stuff to get face value for, and I've even suggested taking them to someone to look at because they may be worth hanging on to. A lot don't care, which surprised me. The majority of stuff I found was through the coin counter. People brought in coin and we also rolled our own stock from bags of loose coins. The older coins, steel pennies, and foreign coins mostly get rejected. I've found several in the bags coming from the FED or from the Courier Company. The bank told us to "mutilate" or throw it out! HUH? I always had people asking for halves and such. I never hesitated accomodating them. I love it when someone gets that really cool find! I can appreciate it. In my experience, most of the tellers are very young and don't have a clue. I've always liked coins...I guess because my dad has always been an avid metal detectorist. I have my own personal collection...I don't want to profit from it, I just like the historical value and enjoy them. My kids enjoy looking through them too. I posted it in the "Collections" forum under Coins. Someone from another forum wanted to see it and I went ahead and posted the pics.

Young River

Nov 23, 2008
Hewitt, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks! Makes me ill to think that I don't have that kind of access anymore. I don't even want to think of what's getting thrown out! :'(
Got to thinking of some coins that I did have put aside in order to purchase them and having a new teller work out of my drawer. She gave them out as well as some $2 bills with the red seal on them. Never let that happen again either!

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

Can a teller hoard things (coins, unusual currency) then at the end of the day, just buy them back for themselves? (exchange them dollar for dollar) Was wondering if most banks allowed it or was there a policy against it

Young River

Nov 23, 2008
Hewitt, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I never heard of any policies like that where I've worked. I might come across something through my window one time every couple of months or so and put it aside. Usually through a commercial deposit. Never more than a wheat, dime, or quarter or two. I just happened to have a couple of quarters & a couple of $2 bills at the time I had someone work my drawer. And yes, I was going to buy them at the end of the day by trading it with one of the other tellers and then buying it from her, through her window, so that I am not "buying" from my own drawer. Things brought through the window are not common from individuals. I have, on occasion, told people that they might want to take it somewhere to see if it was worth hanging on to if it's something really interesting. I mostly came across stuff that got kicked out by the coin counter while rolling loose bags of coin from one of the couriers. Kinda like the reject tray on the CoinStar machines. The coin that individuals brought in that got kicked out by the machine was given back to the individual...that was MY policy. You don't take someone's money from them...it's theirs. I've got more scruples than that. The Morgans that I have came from another teller that took them in and asked me if I wanted them. She would have "mutilated" them out to the vault so that she wouldn't have to keep them in her drawer. I was really hesitant to post my collection because I thought I would get negative feedback because of where I had worked.

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
Young River that is a very nice collection. I especially liked the Stone Mountain commemorative, and dime error.

Ju8vP3t that was an excellent find. I would try to do something special for that teller.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Young river now why would you think that? We aint got nothin but love for you girl. We love most tellers it is just the ones that are rude or that lie that get on our nerves. We don't hold it against them that they pull some of the good coins that come in. In fact we look at it as part of the great perks that come with having that job. Sometimes I wish I had that job. We just wish the that if the tellers want to keep any silver that they put it away in their drawer and keep it out of site. It makes for ackward moments when you ask to buy a coin sitting in a tray that should be fair game and then they say no I am saving that for myself.

-Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread