well, well, surprise, surprise, the detecting god does exist

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
as many of you know by now, Iron Patch got a really great button yesterday

I thought that I got skunked out with just a large cent find( nothing great for a Rev War site )

I did however find a few flat buttons and what I thought was just a large cent, well it was not a large cent, in fact a French cinq centimes 1894, same size as our large cents and probably passed as one, so, a pleasant but not earth shattering find

then I looked harder at a button I got, I thought briefly in the field there was detail on it, then dismissed it, since IP had what was an unbelievable find, my expectations for something dashed away

so, I cleaned up my pouch and the buttons I found this morning
wow is all I can say now, got a nice button and didn't even know it

could be an 1812 generals button???

I guess the Iron Bros. are still alive for 2013

Attachments

• 94sw.JPG
    94sw.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 270
  • sword.JPG
    sword.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Upvote 24

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And then what should I do to neutralize the lemon juice? And should I actually rub it with something? Maybe just a clean cloth perhaps?

Did you soak it yet?

The best way to decide if there's enough gold is to first do a peroxide soak. The usual 10-15 minutes with a little brushing, and when done just lay flat to dry and no water. The green patina will come back when dry, but will be thin enough to determine how much gilt is there. If there seems to be a lot, and you want it black and gold like IH's button, then do a lemon soak. If not much gilt leave as is. After the lemon soap and water is fine, and maybe waxing, which I just posted my method for Romeo.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...y-detecting-god-first-ace-250-hunt-lol-5.html

R3dIndian

Greenie
Sep 7, 2013
Woodstock, New Brunswick
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks IP. I may try to clean it up a little more sometime. I think I'll take IH's advice and try yours and his methods on other buttons first to get a feel for it before I decide to have a go at something significant.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I could tell you what I did to mine

Each individual button should be judged on its own merit and whether cleaning would hurt or help, as IP mentioned, the amount of corrosion and remaining gilt varies with each button and a guarantee of a good button never exists

I'm going to say for you to clean yours, period!

Mine spent about a minute in fresh squeezed lemon juice

Oh wow I just reread my reply, I should spend more more time proof reading my thoughts....Not cleaning, should have been my response

My sincere apologies if this caused any confusion
I'll be more diligent with my responses in the future, I wouldn't want anyone to take bad advice and ruin an otherwise great find

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IP. I may try to clean it up a little more sometime. I think I'll take IH's advice and try yours and his methods on other buttons first to get a feel for it before I decide to have a go at something significant.

Very little risk using peroxide. As long as you don't rinse it, it will dry looking much the same as it went in. I'm not sure if I have one here to clean to show you, but it's usually never too long before I do... and when I do, I can post the before and after. A lemon soak is an all of nothing gamble. If you see some gilt it often works out, but when most of it is gone, often times your button was probably better left being green. Gilt can hide under the corrosion very well so you might have a nicer button than you suspect, and is why I suggested the much less risk peroxide soak to determine what is there.

PS: There's never a rush to clean these. Nothing will change.

Last edited:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just bumping this one back up...hoping he still makes banner with this one..

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
just bumping this one back up...hoping he still makes banner with this one..

Thanks Patriot
It might not make TN banner, but this one is on my own personal banner
It's a great find, not like coral crusted coins or anything lol but it is just as good lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread