well, well, surprise, surprise, the detecting god does exist

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
as many of you know by now, Iron Patch got a really great button yesterday

I thought that I got skunked out with just a large cent find( nothing great for a Rev War site )

I did however find a few flat buttons and what I thought was just a large cent, well it was not a large cent, in fact a French cinq centimes 1894, same size as our large cents and probably passed as one, so, a pleasant but not earth shattering find

then I looked harder at a button I got, I thought briefly in the field there was detail on it, then dismissed it, since IP had what was an unbelievable find, my expectations for something dashed away

so, I cleaned up my pouch and the buttons I found this morning
wow is all I can say now, got a nice button and didn't even know it

could be an 1812 generals button???

I guess the Iron Bros. are still alive for 2013

Attachments

• 94sw.JPG
    94sw.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 270
  • sword.JPG
    sword.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Upvote 24
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Reference that website...check out the Regiment of Foot section...see something familiar?

I've been perusing that site over the past couple days and have been looking for some of the buttons I've dug up over the years, I've noticed some that some other detectorists have dug up also. There is at least one on that page that appears familiar with a Nova Scotia pedigree, is it yours?

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I've been perusing that site over the past couple days and have been looking for some of the buttons I've dug up over the years, I've noticed some that some other detectorists have dug up also. There is at least one on that page that appears familiar with a Nova Scotia pedigree, is it yours?

Oh wait, the photo source cleared that up lol

boomerlucas

Greenie
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
cheap radio shack brand, AT Gold coming soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
completely jealous, makes me wish I was on the east coast

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Thank you everyone that replied

For a hunt that had surprising results that turned into one of my better button finds in years, I learned that there still lots of great things to find where you do expect them!
It still proves that a great site can still hide great finds and a little perseverance pays!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems "almost" no one has seen one like, not even Cru with his thousands of buttons, and it's lovely condition.
I also voted BANNER.

Even a change in the conditions of a site can have an impact, my last hunt was on ground hit pretty hard, I remember leaving it one time and there were foot prints on every square foot of it, glad we decided to try it again.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems "almost" no one has seen one like, not even Cru with his thousands of buttons, and it's lovely condition.
I also voted BANNER.

Even a change in the conditions of a site can have an impact, my last hunt was on ground hit pretty hard, I remember leaving it one time and there were foot prints on every square foot of it, glad we decided to try it again.

True, but even if most are not familiar it doesn't make it rare. I've been familiar with these for a long time and never thought one would be dug here so just goes to show anything can turn up. I'm not sure which I'd rather find next hunt there, one of those or another King's American. I guess it comes down to whether I'd rather something for my collection or a few hundred dollar paycheck... as I'm assuming if I did dig another KAR it would not be near as nice.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I could just sit here for a long time and just absorb the beauty of such a different button, that would look great in any collection and it would be my 2nd or 3rd most favorite button if I had found it............Beautiful button..................

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
True, but even if most are not familiar it doesn't make it rare. I've been familiar with these for a long time and never thought one would be dug here so just goes to show anything can turn up. I'm not sure which I'd rather find next hunt there, one of those or another King's American. I guess it comes down to whether I'd rather something for my collection or a few hundred dollar paycheck... as I'm assuming if I did dig another KAR it would not be near as nice.

It seems that there many finds we are very well aware of and if found in any condition they command a price and a place because of what they were once connected to.
For the vast majority of posters on this site, there are lots of relics that they may never see but once and that doesn't mean they rare or valuable, just that when they do show up doesn't make it trivial either. It doesn't make sense to me to downplay anything because its common, but to point out things that are good finds.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that there many finds we are very well aware of and if found in any condition they command a price and a place because of what they were once connected to.
For the vast majority of posters on this site, there are lots of relics that they may never see but once and that doesn't mean they rare or valuable, just that when they do show up doesn't make it trivial either. It doesn't make sense to me to downplay anything because its common, but to point out things that are good finds.

Yes but I think getting to Brock's coat is a little bit of a stretch. :laughing7: I don't see where it was downplayed in any way, and since it seems I am the only one who knew what it was, I was just passing on that info..

Last edited:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IH, again an awesome find. When I voted Banner this is what I put down in the remarks section....."A General's button..come on who finds a freaking generals button." Rare indeed, at least here on TN. There may be lots floating around in museums, I don't know but I don't think I have ever seen a freaking General's button posted here since I have been a member, let alone a General's button in such great shape.
Congrat's and yes.......BANNER Indeed.
Killer find,
ZDD

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IH, again an awesome find. When I voted Banner this is what I put down in the remarks section....."A General's button..come on who finds a freaking generals button." Rare indeed, at least here on TN. There may be lots floating around in museums, I don't know but I don't think I have ever seen a freaking General's button posted here since I have been a member, let alone a General's button in such great shape.
Killer find,
ZDD

Yes, it's definitely a rare and great find to dig, don't think anyone will argue with you there. :occasion14:

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Killer find,
ZDD

Thanks ZDD
There may not have been a generals button on here before, then again I don't read every post
What I have learned...there were but five British generals involved in the war of 1812, can't say this one belonged to any one of them, or when it came to rest in the soil I detected, but the odds I do like and it is from the right era
Not sure what would else would have to be associated with it to make it anything other that what it is, but I like it and would like to think its pretty good!

R3dIndian

Greenie
Sep 7, 2013
Woodstock, New Brunswick
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is indeed a fantastic button! Congrats! Any tips on cleaning old buttons like that? I'd like to clean my New Brunswick Provincials button but I'm too scared to.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is indeed a fantastic button! Congrats! Any tips on cleaning old buttons like that? I'd like to clean my New Brunswick Provincials button but I'm too scared to.

It all depends how much gilt is under the green.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

I could tell you what I did to mine

Each individual button should be judged on its own merit and whether cleaning would hurt or help, as IP mentioned, the amount of corrosion and remaining gilt varies with each button and a guarantee of a good button never exists

I'm going to say for you to clean yours, period!

Mine spent about a minute in fresh squeezed lemon juice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread