What's new

Went Back Today

Americus

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
3,249
Reaction score
3,827
Golden Thread
0
I went back this afternoon to the field the rain ran me out of yesterday and found these.





 
Upvote 0
That tip at the middle bottom would have been a real nice one.
 
Nice point/ knife. Great hunt
 
Howdy Americus, Years ago, I was a tree planter in your area and some of my best finds were from the Lumpkin & Richland area. I hunted a couple of creeks and got the biggest points that I have ever found. One hole had 7 points, a broke pipe and a flaked celt in it. Two of the points were 5 1/4" Bentons, one lost lake and one was a lacroy. I went back a few years later and got a real nice hardaway. There is a nursing home and highway in one of the best sites in Richland now. There were boulders of agatized corral on the site, some as big as cars, that had centers that were red, green, and honey colored. I found several large chunks that had flakes knocked off to make points. The site had been machine planted in pines and the machine operator planted up and down the hills instead of across. First hard rain made each row of pines into ditches. You could walk the rows and pick points out of the washed out rows. Thanks for the flashback. Now, I want to come back and hunt.
 
Howdy Americus, Years ago, I was a tree planter in your area and some of my best finds were from the Lumpkin & Richland area. I hunted a couple of creeks and got the biggest points that I have ever found. One hole had 7 points, a broke pipe and a flaked celt in it. Two of the points were 5 1/4" Bentons, one lost lake and one was a lacroy. I went back a few years later and got a real nice hardaway. There is a nursing home and highway in one of the best sites in Richland now. There were boulders of agatized corral on the site, some as big as cars, that had centers that were red, green, and honey colored. I found several large chunks that had flakes knocked off to make points. The site had been machine planted in pines and the machine operator planted up and down the hills instead of across. First hard rain made each row of pines into ditches. You could walk the rows and pick points out of the washed out rows. Thanks for the flashback. Now, I want to come back and hunt.

I have never hunted in Stewart County but did hunt for a time on some land in Webster County that is now in pines. Where do you live now?
 
I am living in Stuart Virginia. I'm about 20 miles west of Martinsville. I spent two winters in the Lumpkin area in 86/87 and 87/88. Tree planting season was from December 1st and April 1st. I planted over half a million pines in 4 years. You find a lot of relics and fossils when you spend 10 hours a day bending over a planting 3 to 4 thousand trees a day, especially on the clearcut/ burn sites. A couple of years ago, I went back with some friends but it was wet and cold so we went north to Lincolnton Georgia to hunt rocks at Graves Mountain and then over to Abbeyville SC to hunt Crystals. Would love to go back someday.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom