Western Relics, pretty brass.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I was able to get out to a favorite fort site with my brother and my friend Eric, who traveled out from Ohio for some gold prospecting and a chance to relic hunt the west. This remote location always yields something if you are willing to hunt among the millions of nails and ration cans. At times the sifter is the only way to uncover relics masked by the iron laden soil. I spent the majority of the short hunt trying to locate a trash pit or privy, however aside from the late mustard and small opium, no other bottles surfaced. The brass from this site is beautiful as you can see in the GS eagle buttons pictured below. We did pretty well with a nice variety of decent finds. A few firsts surfaced including the bore brush and butt plate, which I believe is from a Spencer (correct me if Im wrong). I also came up with a few relics needing a positive ID pictured with the bore brush. Anyway, with a new daughter on the way in August and a 3 year old boy at home, I just don't have the time that I once had for weekly hunts so a couple of times per year will have to do at this point. Thanks for looking!
-Ev

Attachments

• on sift, smaller.jpg
    on sift, smaller.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0604.JPG
    IMG_0604.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 112
  • button smaller.jpg
    button smaller.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 4

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I love that shot of all the finds in the sifter. I agree with you that sifting may actually be more fun than detecting. And those buttons are in great shape too. Nice going!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Those GS staff buttons, including the Infantry I cuff, have a gorgeous patina. Congrats on a great hunt. No bullets though? HH

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome bunch of relics ya got there :thumbsup: That sure looks like a spencer from what I can see, a closeup of the headstamp you could tell for sure. You sure loaded up on the GS buttons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Great finds. Those GS staff buttons, including the Infantry I cuff, have a gorgeous patina. Congrats on a great hunt. No bullets though? HH

I dug 3 dropped .58 minies and 2 other fired rounds. They are pictured on the screen, although not sifted

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recoveries Evan! The number 3 and the buttons are indeed "pretty brass"! Good to see you getting out.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for the nice comments. We split up the sifter finds and my friend Eric ended up with most of a bugle hat pin, and a gilted cavalry cuff. I will post them at some point. Buttons are my favorite thing to dig, and this site has some nice ones.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic hunt Ev. Look at all those Eagles! I agree with you, buttons have always been my favorite thing to dig as well. And I love the fact that even out West, if you do your homework and know where to look, you can find Civil War era buttons and relics in addition to the Indian Wars stuff. I must say, my favorite individual pieces are the stamped "3" and the butt plate, they're both in great shape. The bore brush is nice as well. Congrats buddy :occasion14:

Last edited:

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really cool finds ya got.I really dig the buttons and the #3.Good hunt...................................

cwhunter_1

Feb 2, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab se pro, white oldy, tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the center piece that your holding appears to be a Tampion with cork still attached. Nice buttons too. :thumbsup:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome relics. you really hauled in the buttons :headbang:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bunch of cool finds, Congrat's...HH

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
You got a great site! Beautiful brass for sure... Congratulations. My guess, 1870-1885ish.

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Evan! Our western brass does come out nice for sure!! The "3" is very cool, I don't hardly ever dig any insignia. Keep at it!!!!

IM

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Western digs!
Have yet to hit any real soldier sites, hope to this year.
You are spurring me on!
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions