Weve ALL run into annoying coin marks....but THIS??

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Retired: Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro -------
Active: White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We've ALL run into annoying coin marks....but THIS??

Going through 25c rolls for son's book, National Parks and possible decent-grade ATB (they do exist in rolls :icon_thumright:). I used to do $2,500 a week in halves but it got so boring and in the four years (I'm not kidding) I've done it, I've not found so much as a 40%...so I've given up on that (even the four years of quarters has only netted me 1 single '64...apparently I'm a glutton for punishment, as I continue to look....that is....when I'm not MDing).

Anyway, anyone who has done serious roll hunting has seen that mark. You know what I'm talking about: The black Sharpie bullet hole in JFK's ear (seriously poor taste), the "There's no silver in here!" or "I already got all the silver!" on the rolls, etc.

I came across one today I've never seen before, but had to share. My first reaction was to sit and stare at it...thinking, "Seriously?" Then a small, internal chuckle (and I truly mean small), followed by a long, defeatist sigh. I believe I'm done with quarters as well after this.

Just wanted to share it. If it makes you laugh, I'm glad I could provide comic relief! :laughing7: Personally, my overall response is :BangHead: I believe this is my last box of quarters.

Attachments

• IMG_20120905_124320-1.jpg
    IMG_20120905_124320-1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 171
Upvote 0

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, but that is funny :) I hope you didn't get my rolls, because I dumped some rolls, and had wrote "No silver present. Try again" on them.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's simply amazing the condition of U.S currency, coins,notes (yes i search notes) are just plain worn out......... plus the marking painted coins,sharpied,ect will will off but theres some that look like they were burned,holed,sanded down,scratched to death,

its simply amazing in a bad way..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I hate the jerk who stamps NASTY obsene lattering on halves "EAT P---Y" --- i MEAN REALLY DUDE --GROW UP ALREADY , ONCE YOU GET THEM YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEPOSIT EM LOCALLY, BECAUSE YOU DO NOT WANT FOLKS TO THINK YOU ARE SOME SORT OF PERVERT - I LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN AND AM ON GOOD TERMS WITH MY LOCAL TELLERS ( WHICH I HAVE WORKED FOR A LONG TIME TO DEVELOP ) , AND DO NOT WANT TO INSULT THEM BY PASSING ON SUCH NASTY TRASH - so I save them and dump them in rolls at banks in jacksonville far from my home.

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate the jerk who stamps NASTY obsene lattering on halves "EAT P---Y" --- i MEAN REALLY DUDE --GROW UP ALREADY , ONCE YOU GET THEM YOU DO NOT WANT TO DEPOSIT EM LOCALLY, BECAUSE YOU DO NOT WANT FOLKS TO THINK YOU ARE SOME SORT OF PERVERT - I LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN AND AM ON GOOD TERMS WITH MY LOCAL TELLERS ( WHICH i HAVE WORKED FOR A LONG TIME TO DEVELOP) , AND DO NOT WANT TO INSULT THEM BY PASSING ON SUCH NASTY TRASH - so I save them and dump them in rools at banks in jacksonville far from my home.

Now that is just taking it to far.. I hate people who want to ruin the hobby that bad, of course you do have to let people know of there competition :)

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen a hole drilled in the base of Kennedys neck,.. circulating in Dallas.. talk about poor taste.

OP
OP
fuzymunky

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, but that is funny :) I hope you didn't get my rolls, because I dumped some rolls, and had wrote "No silver present. Try again" on them.

Alright, I should have added that when the message on the roll is not vulgar (like the one below) I take it as this: At least the guy was nice enough to let me know. But, being the Curious George that I am, I usually check anyway. And, 100% of the time, they (and you) have been correct.

Anyone with some solid advice on this? Should I switch to dimes? I read somewhere of people having better luck with them because the dates are smaller and easier to miss. Any input?

And honestly, I would have (at the moment, because I'm completely over it now and it is kinda funny) laughed at this if I was even hitting ONE silver per box of $500! But again, not even a single 40%-er in a little over 4 years.

Okie115

Apr 15, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!! Congrats on finding the elusive "Sparta Quarter", many have tried to collect this gem but have been "Sparta Kicked" into the skunk pit..but you my friend have succeeded, great find! Gerard's phone # should be on the reverse unless it's a fake.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright, I should have added that when the message on the roll is not vulgar (like the one below) I take it as this: At least the guy was nice enough to let me know. But, being the Curious George that I am, I usually check anyway. And, 100% of the time, they (and you) have been correct.

Anyone with some solid advice on this? Should I switch to dimes? I read somewhere of people having better luck with them because the dates are smaller and easier to miss. Any input?

And honestly, I would have (at the moment, because I'm completely over it now and it is kinda funny) laughed at this if I was even hitting ONE silver per box of $500! But again, not even a single 40%-er in a little over 4 years.
Halves bore me to death also. That's why i've hit dimes hard the last few years...but date search? Not me.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skunked after 4 years??? I woulda quit 3 1/2 years ago. Try dimes... Can't be any worse????

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks more like the work of a bored 7th grader in history class than a dedicated roll hunter to me. Way too intricate to efficiently mark enough coins to serve any purpose.

I'm really surprised at your results with the halves though. I don't know how, but could it be that you're fairly close to the Mint?

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats so funny i love it. I wish i could do 50000 in my area. I am 100% with you about bad words and other trash on coins its just not right. THANK YOU for the post.

Last edited:

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hahahaha, that is far more collectible than a hobo nickel

OP
OP
fuzymunky

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW!! Congrats on finding the elusive "Sparta Quarter", many have tried to collect this gem but have been "Sparta Kicked" into the skunk pit..but you my friend have succeeded, great find! Gerard's phone # should be on the reverse unless it's a fake.

ROFL!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread