Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
NOLA_Ken said:
Usually mild steel, there are specialty nails made of stainless, aluminum and copper too.
That's right they could be made of any type of metal...........

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Regular nails are still steel or iron or whatever, but remember, some of them have an anodized type zinc micro-coating (that silvery color they have when they're brand new). So a fresh one can have a slightly different signal than an older rusty one, since that micro-plating is only on fresh ones.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Regular nails are still steel or iron or whatever, but remember, some of them have an anodized type zinc micro-coating (that silvery color they have when they're brand new). So a fresh one can have a slightly different signal than an older rusty one, since that micro-plating is only on fresh ones.

True, and there are actually two types of galvanized nails commonly used, one is basically electroplated, and the zinc is very thin, the other "hot dip" are nails that were actually dipped in molten zinc and have a much thicker coating.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Good info. Ken. I've found these fresh nails before, that were trying to give a good signal (even though I knew they were iron), and this explains why. I suppose it doesn't take long, in the soil anywhere, for this electrocoating to break down, and for them to give the tell-tale reject iron signal. But when they're fresh, they might try to bleed through because of this.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well right now i have nails in my garage made of , steel ,iron , aluminum ,stainless , and , copper .... So you can find nails made from any kind of metal............. not just iron & steel..........

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Well right now i have nails in my garage made of , steel ,iron , aluminum ,stainless , and , copper .... So you can find nails made from any kind of metal............. not just iron & steel..........

sounds like my shop room, a little bit of everything.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
And you have to remember that steel is an alloy of iron and various other metals.
Modern square nails known as cut nails have metals added to make them hard. They will break before they will bend. There are extremely hard nails for nailing in concrete like PK nails. There appears to be no limit on what nails can be made of. Frank

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
my nails are made of keratin.

HTH

cassrh

Greenie
Jan 8, 2010
Actually, modern nails are made from a special allow that is scientifically designed to bend 45 degrees when it is half way through the board.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cassrh said:
Actually, modern nails are made from a special allow that is scientifically designed to bend 45 degrees when it is half way in the board.
And all this time I thought it was user error. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread