What's new

What are the wheats for???

Pirate Hunter

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Whats the point of searching for wheats? The copper? I cant see it being worth the time to search for them. I think I am missing something, can anyone fill me in?
 
Upvote 0
Why not? Its fun. If you don't feel like searching, then that's just more wheats for me. That's how I see it. ;D
 
common wheat cents are worth 3 cents ea. Plus there is an outside chance of finding an early scarce date or error coin.
 
It is just preferance. There are some wheats that are worth a good amount of money. In my opinion all the wheats will be highly collectable one day. Some guys don't have any silver in their areas and choose to get their fix with copper. I understand that. Some might not have the funds to do larger denominations of coin either. It is all part of the hobbie.

Golden silver
 
Ok I see now. I thought there was something I was missing. Thanks for filling in.

I was searching through my 5 gallon water bottle with change and found an 1909 wheat, just not the expensive one.
 
i can usually find 3 wheats in every 10 $ i search ........athout i dont search cents often ... i do get some at the till at work tho
 
My inclination to search the cents is more for the hunt to find an elusive IH. I also started my coin collecting when I was 9 with a Tang container of Wheats. With it's low denomination and ease of availability, they make for a quick fix. I cull all the wheats and better grade coppers. I sell the copper rolls when I have a box which in turn goes to buy silver.
 
Well....eventually they will discontinue the cent (probably). In the meantime, they just changed the design which may increase interest in cent collecting and make wheats harder to find.
 
My personal opinion but very personal, " Waist of time" for me.

DW
 
Darth Walker said:
My personal opinion but very personal, " Waist of time" for me.

DW

LOL!

Am I missing something here? Did you intend for there to be a pun or did you just spell waste wrong? :icon_scratch:

-Codes
 
Sorry, I am not very good at grammar

"WASTE"
 
Darth Walker said:
Sorry, I am not very good at grammar

"WASTE"

Wouldn't that be a spelling mistake, not bad grammar?

:wink:

(sorry. just had to add that. Don't worry about your spelling. I spell okay, but I don't proofread, and therefore I make all sorts of spelling errors. People still know what you meant. ;D )
 
Diver_Down said:
My inclination to search the cents is more for the hunt to find an elusive IH. I also started my coin collecting when I was 9 with a Tang container of Wheats. With it's low denomination and ease of availability, they make for a quick fix. I cull all the wheats and better grade coppers. I sell the copper rolls when I have a box which in turn goes to buy silver.
OK so Where do you sell the copper??? CU value or penny value? Just trying to educate myself.
thanks
 
jrf30 said:
Darth Walker said:
Sorry, I am not very good at grammar

"WASTE"

Wouldn't that be a spelling mistake, not bad grammar?

:wink:

(sorry. just had to add that. Don't worry about your spelling. I spell okay, but I don't proofread, and therefore I make all sorts of spelling errors. People still know what you meant. ;D )

Though, there is a Spell Check button on which you can click; before posting................................
 
Reverend B*IKE* said:
Diver_Down said:
My inclination to search the cents is more for the hunt to find an elusive IH. I also started my coin collecting when I was 9 with a Tang container of Wheats. With it's low denomination and ease of availability, they make for a quick fix. I cull all the wheats and better grade coppers. I sell the copper rolls when I have a box which in turn goes to buy silver.
OK so Where do you sell the copper??? CU value or penny value? Just trying to educate myself.
thanks

The value of the rolls are based on the penny value but it is also influenced by the copper value. I sell the rolls on eBay as a box lot. I don't make a ton, but the last box of 70's rolls fetched around $40 plus shipping. A box of 60's rolls would fetch more. Again, I only pull the better grade (AU or better) cents.
 
Just my wheat cents worth - Let me answer your question with a question - Why not save any

and all wheaties ? The newest ones , 1958 - are all over 50 years old , they are an obsolete,

US coin , they are copper , they feature a classy design , and think of all the folks collecting

coins of all kinds that are worth less than three times face ( NIFC for example ) Argentium.

PS . Any who feel it is a waste of time to pull wheaties please respond with your

reasoning .
 
find a 1909 VDB your in luck. Some of those go for some nice change ::)
 
unlike the reason i search for silver (making money) i search pennys and nickels for the fun off it. i like gettin the older ones and the elusive IH that for some reason i cant get for the life of me
 
ugotit22 said:
unlike the reason i search for silver (making money) i search pennys and nickels for the fun off it. i like gettin the older ones and the elusive IH that for some reason i cant get for the life of me

Don't feel too bad....I haven't found one in the last approximately 696,000 pennies I have searched. Before that I had 3 in 135,000 and then another skunk streak of 803,000 prior to that...

So...
Last 696,000 No IHC
prior 135,000 had 3 IHC
prior 803,000 No IHC

So over the last 1,634,000 pennies searched I have had 3 IHC and all were in about 1 month of each other.
 
I have always liked Wheats, why not save them? They are cheap and funt to hoard. :thumbsup: And you never know, you may find an IH or two. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom