What are these rocks?

Jeff

Apr 20, 2012
Torrington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000_0846.JPG 000_0844.JPG 000_0816.JPG 000_0835.JPG 000_0837.JPG 000_0840.JPG 000_0818.JPG Found these out in the woods was wondering if any one knew what they were and if they were meteorites or something like that,there was a crater where they were found any information or opinions would be helpfull thank you jeff, i live in connecticut

Last edited:

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's not magnetic, then it is is probably coal slag.
I would think it is the stuff cleaned out of the bottom of a coal burning furnace or stove. I've seen that in places around Michigan.
Sometimes it is magnetic, and sometimes it isn't, depending on the makeup of wht was burned.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there an old railroad that went through the area? Looks like old slag from a locomotive. Or was there an old foundry in this area?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jeff

Apr 20, 2012
Torrington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000_0844.JPG 000_0846.JPG these are chunks broken off i believe this to be a very weathered martian meteorite it even has bluberrie chondrules all over the specimen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jeff

Apr 20, 2012
Torrington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there was no railroad that went through that area and like i said there was acthually a flattened out round crater under these specimens, and nothing like this anywhere else

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slag clinker.

SS

Attachments

• 26_blast_furnace%20slag_clinker.jpg
    26_blast_furnace%20slag_clinker.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jeff

Apr 20, 2012
Torrington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes these items register under my metal detecter but are not attracted to any magnet which is weird ,

Upvote 0

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located?
I've found a couple similar pieces in the woods in Massachusetts. No where near a railroad or a factory or anything like that.
Also non-magnetic.

DSCN1411.JPG

Upvote 0

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's slag, which was used as road bedding (bottom layer) as late as the 1940s. It shows up all over the place and can be a bane when mixed in with bottle dumps or relics piles. Hate the stuff. You can have it all. Good huntin'.

Upvote 0

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for one more "second" - I agree that it is slag. Not unusual for a magnet not to stick to it. The small amount of iron can get spread throughout the matrix of the slag making it highly visible to the metal detector - But - there isn't a high enough concentration in any one area for a magnet to stick to it. Or it could of course be something other than iron. It would still be interesting to try to figure out where it came from. I don't think a regular old camp fire would get hot enough to generate slag. Also - here's an interesting tid bit - some bench jewelers collect slag and then cut it into faceted "stones" for making jewelry. I've seen it in green, orange, blue etc.

The good thing is that this find means there were people here. After metal detecting for a while and getting frustrated - I learned on this forum that finding iron, slag etc is actually a good thing - it means there is a chance to find something cool around. Good luck with it. HH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions