What's new

What are these?

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
2,882
Reaction score
3,005
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I found the first shard I have found these triangular pyramid "rocks". They are rounded on the back toward the top and all the same way. I've made larger pics of the 3 on bottom right. The white one is flat on one side and rounded edges, maybe a knife?. The other two look like they might have been drills. All of these are chipped and broken.

Any comments are appreciated, I just see so many of them and wondered about them.
 

Attachments

  • 100_7324.webp
    100_7324.webp
    670.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_7328.webp
    100_7328.webp
    606.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_7329.webp
    100_7329.webp
    726.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_7335.webp
    100_7335.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 114
  • 100_7338.webp
    100_7338.webp
    336 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_7339.webp
    100_7339.webp
    332.8 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
It's hard to tell form your photos, but they look to be to thick and small to be point performs, they may just be broken quartz and other kinds of stone from freezing over a long time period:dontknow:nice eye. HH
 
It's prob just crude tools nice find !!;)
 
looks like a difficult stone to work with....maybe poor material used out of necessity.....
 
I think these pieces were make shift scrapers made of flakes. I also agree that they are poor grade lithic. They may have been worked nice and didn't hold up under time's heavy hand. You aren't alone in noticing or gathering them. Here are a few that snuck inside with me.

image-2449457902.webp



image-1122918353.webp
 
Thanks guys for your help and yeah there is alot of quartz here and it doesn't hold up over years plus tumbling in the creek...I keep looking for another rhyolite point like the one I found a couple months ago...I know they're out there, just gotta uncover them. lol Hope everyone has a great day and good finds! 8-)
 
I think these pieces were make shift scrapers made of flakes. I also agree that they are poor grade lithic. They may have been worked nice and didn't hold up under time's heavy hand. You aren't alone in noticing or gathering them. Here are a few that snuck inside with me.

I've tossed a ton outside my door for decor ;-) Who knows? Might wanna look at them again.
 
Yeah quartz is a hard one to figure out. Ill show you a table I have all personal finds. Some tools and maybe some debitage mixed in. Id pitch some of it if I knew for sure they werent all artifact tools. Im still not sure by the shapes on most of them. I have found some that are complete and worked but no points. In a few more months I might be able to have my once a yr look at that spot. I call it,
"Quartz Land"
 

Attachments

  • 100_2660.webp
    100_2660.webp
    331 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
possible "crude made" scrapers I would think
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom