What's new

What coins are these?

Southie E.J.

Full Member
Joined
May 16, 2011
Messages
104
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Boston Ma
Detector(s) used
WHITES COINMASTER, MINELABS 705, and ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a silver coin at lowtide and I cant figure it out. Its a little bigger than a dime. I rubbed paper over the coin and got a woman with a bun for hair. Also found a big copper and tried to get an image with paper and pencil rub. I think I see a guys head on that one. Anybody know what I might have here?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20110724_174442.webp
    IMG_20110724_174442.webp
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,014
  • IMG_20110724_174550.webp
    IMG_20110724_174550.webp
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,020
  • IMG_20110724_174442-1.webp
    IMG_20110724_174442-1.webp
    3 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_20110724_174550-1.webp
    IMG_20110724_174550-1.webp
    7.8 KB · Views: 872
The 1st pic with the word GRATI on it is silver, and the bigger coin is copper
 
Upvote 0
I think the first one could be a Canadian 10 Cents Queen Victoria.

The second one.. I thought about a George III 1806 1807 British halfpenny but I don't know if that fits....

Any details on the backs?
 
Upvote 0
Ok, so is the Vicki a silver or a copper? There as been both suggested and now I am confused. And also, weren't the half pennies just after the 1797 cartwheels still quite large? I just had mine out, and it seemed like they were almost half dollar sized.
 
Upvote 0
High Plains Digger said:
Ok, so is the Vicki a silver or a copper? There as been both suggested and now I am confused. And also, weren't the half pennies just after the 1797 cartwheels still quite large? I just had mine out, and it seemed like they were almost half dollar sized.

The coin with the words grati on it is silver (the lady with the bun). The bigger one is a copper. There is nothing on the back of either coin (rubbed smooth)This place Ive been going to Ive been pulling up tons of silver coins and silver jewelry & they are all very dark from the saltwater.
 
Upvote 0
Here's the Canada silver Victoria 10 cents - says it is 18.034mm. The US Dime is listed at 17.9mm-

http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces393.html

1zwmg0k.jpg


Here is a photo of a worn 1806/07 British halfpenny with a quarter. Probably is a little bigger than your coin like HPD said. Can you get a mm measurement on the copper?

2gwbyg1.jpg
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it's a Vicki, she's facing the wrong way
could be a George the 2nd
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys! I think we got the Canadian coin figured out and the closest we'll probably get on the copper unless some one sees another clue. That copper coin could be one of many big coppers. Too bad I CI couldnt have just a little more detail show.
 
Upvote 0
second could be 2 pence EII
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom