What company has the best metal Detecting engineering

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well as far as the headphones, I prefer none I want to know my surroundings, I’m not paranoid, being that said what’s a good 3rd party external speaker for the master 6 puck version.
I've been wearing the WSA II-XLs since I got them.
Nobody has snuck up on me, nor have I missed any pertinent ambient sounds, whether on a village street/park or the middle of a farmer's field.

They do cut down on wind noise, and I agree more can be discerned via headphones than RC speaker.

I also like not calling any more attention to myself than I have to. First day out at my permission, and I got, "Find any gold?" from the first passersby. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I was tempted to retort, "Does this sound like gold?" but of course I had the headphones on, so I just mumbled, "In upstate NY 🤨 I don't think so."

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always wear HP with one of the earmuffs off your ear.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee from doing a quick count in the cabinet, and holders I have around 180+ LCs.
Then there's this container also

Very nice, but many of those appear to be Canadian LC's, which means they could be from the late 1800's up to 1920. If I counted my IHC's and pre-1920 wheaties, my total would be well over 200 coins.

How long have you been detecting? I started in 2013, but didn't specialize in hunting cellar holes and stone walls until 2017, so 50 LC's isn't too shabby for six years of detecting.

You really should have put all those LC's in cardboard flips to keep track of when and where you dug them. Makes for a more interesting collection.

I store mine in a case, so I can check them out during the cold winter months.

zip coins.JPG

OP
OP
J

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys I’m not paranoid, I just prefer without headphones, doesn’t mean I don’t use them, sure very faint signals I’d miss probably, heck i concentrate on both tones and vdi, I swing slow and when I here a fainted signal I approach it from different angles so I’m fine thankyou.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not all detectors are created equal. The low end machine will still give you a proper signal in a "quiet" site such as woods or in a middle of the field. But when you hit a "busy" site it all comes to your skill and the hardware you're using.
I personally use Deus II and I'm happy with the results, but yet again, if the person lacks the skill or/and knowledge of the machine he's using he can as well swing the cheapest machine out there. I've seen people be more productive on the same site with a mid level machine than those using the high end ones. It doesn't mean that Garrett AT is as good of a machine as Deus, it just means that the person behind the machine is more skillful with it and manages to get out of it its full potential.

I'm personally very impressed with low/mid level detectors now days, such as Simplex. I'm sure that a person with patience and right approach can get some amazing results out of it. Will it be comparable to Deus in every aspect? Pretty sure that it won't. But at the same time it doesn't have to. In my opinion, Deus and similar machines are for the people looking for versatility and customization, they are not to be used primarily on "easy" sites where a mid level detector will perform as well as the high level one, otherwise it's a waste of money.

P.S. Not to be rude, but if someone believes he can get a low/mid level machine to perform as well on a "very busy" site as let's say Deus, hasn't seen Deus work at its full potential. It's a night and day comparison. I do believe there are some true artists of Garrett and other mid level machines (I've seen a few that really impressed me) But I've seen the same people changing their machine after many years, developing skill with the new one and being mind-blown with the results.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good commentary, Aureus! My point is there really aren't that many productive spots that are full of nails or other iron, so there's no advantage spending an extra grand or more for a "better" detector. Also, some home sites may have a lot of nails, while others, not so much. Maybe the myth that colonists burned down homes they were abandoning for the nails isn't just a myth? I know that I've never run into a cellar hole that was so full of nails that I gave up on it. A little trashy, maybe, but still detectable.

I do know that I've done many cellar holes that just don't have anything good in or around them. I even got down on my knees at one particular cellar hole and rooted around the ground with my pinpointer! I figured that I might be missing something good that was masked from all the nails. I must have dug 50 nails that day, but no coins, buttons or non-ferrous items. You have to realize that most farmers were dirt poor, so the fantasy that all cellar holes are full of coins is just that, pure fantasy,

I've detected dozens of cellar holes and many cabin sites (those didn't have a foundation). Never found anything really significant in any of them. In the area, yes, but nothing within 15 feet of a cellar hole. Maybe some flat buttons and a shoe buckle or two, but I've never found a silver coin or large cent really close to a cellar hole. My best finds have always been 15 feet or more away from the homesite. Why? Because they lost coins while doing some activity, not by walking around. They fell out of their pockets while they were hanging wash, chopping firewood or pulling up a bucket of water from their well.

Bottom line, don't think buying a 1.5k detector will be your key to finding tons of valuable coins just waiting to be found at trashy cellar hole sites. You will be sorely disappointed. Use the cellar hole as a starting point and work out from there. Detect any stone walls nearby and try to find the well, privy and where they had a barn or root cellar. Those are the spots that will get you the good stuff.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather be lucky than good any day of the week!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good commentary, Aureus! My point is there really aren't that many productive spots that are full of nails or other iron, so there's no advantage spending an extra grand or more for a "better" detector. Also, some home sites may have a lot of nails, while others, not so much. Maybe the myth that colonists burned down homes they were abandoning for the nails isn't just a myth? I know that I've never run into a cellar hole that was so full of nails that I gave up on it. A little trashy, maybe, but still detectable.

I do know that I've done many cellar holes that just don't have anything good in or around them. I even got down on my knees at one particular cellar hole and rooted around the ground with my pinpointer! I figured that I might be missing something good that was masked from all the nails. I must have dug 50 nails that day, but no coins, buttons or non-ferrous items. You have to realize that most farmers were dirt poor, so the fantasy that all cellar holes are full of coins is just that, pure fantasy,

I've detected dozens of cellar holes and many cabin sites (those didn't have a foundation). Never found anything really significant in any of them. In the area, yes, but nothing within 15 feet of a cellar hole. Maybe some flat buttons and a shoe buckle or two, but I've never found a silver coin or large cent really close to a cellar hole. My best finds have always been 15 feet or more away from the homesite. Why? Because they lost coins while doing some activity, not by walking around. They fell out of their pockets while they were hanging wash, chopping firewood or pulling up a bucket of water from their well.

Bottom line, don't think buying a 1.5k detector will be your key to finding tons of valuable coins just waiting to be found at trashy cellar hole sites. You will be sorely disappointed. Use the cellar hole as a starting point and work out from there. Detect any stone walls nearby and try to find the well, privy and where they had a barn or root cellar. Those are the spots that will get you the good stuff.
In response to the LCs out of 600+ there's a lot of pre 1900. I dig a lot of pre 1858 coinage up here 1815-1840 and it will be half and full penny Tokens.
Site dependent always.

You really truly believe that the 1.5K detector isn't going to gain any more than a mid-range detector.

How do you base this conclusion on really?

Have you ever done a coil to coil test?

Could it be more the fact of the $$$ vs results conclusion?

You have also stated at various times that a high end machine isn't pulling banner finds up regularly over a lower cost machine would.

Like I stated in the open areas head to head the mid range will keep pace with the high end.(Assuming that the mid range has depth capabilities)

I have one site that is a hay field-cut once a year-the site is partly groomed by the gulf course crew. Just a strip of manicured field so the owner can take his buggy home each night through their property.

All the coinage is pre 1855, all of it is 6-12" deep 80% in the 10"+ range.
This is for all the military items, and a couple of early silvers.
I have pounded this site with the ETrac, Deus l and the Dues ll.
Digging a bent sq. nail at 10" isn't a good dig in heavy clay.
But a LC on its side at 10" is a good.
Signal density is 10 targets per sweep.
Nails are from 4"-10"

Digging out a keeper I can dig a few half nails also in the same hole.
This site has produced 30+LCs, 2 silvers, 6 military buttons, other military items. Then there are patterned buttons and flat.
The last 2 trips, 5-6hrs of swinging produced zero nonferrous targets.
The perfect test site now for the new program.
Site size 1/2 acre at most.
Note the grass length, and the depth of targets that I have stated.
This is a slice of what I believe a high end machine can obtain out of a site.
I haven't gone coil to coil comparisons either.
20181021_194128.jpg

This one is out of the heavy prickly ash that runs along the field. This site is 1/4 covered so it's difficult detecting.
20200614_214651.jpg

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I agree with you that in your particular case a good mid level machine will do as well than a high end one. You seem to specialize on a very unique type of areas I'm not really familiar with. So no reason to waste money on perks you don't need.
My cellar sites are filled with all kinds of iron targets. I'm wondering if yours weren't log houses made with minimal use of nails.
As for the good target concentration, it's common for me as well to find a bunch of coins and relics a few feet from the foundation rather than directly at it. I suppose they would loose them doing routine activities such as washing and drying clothes, going to outhouse or working around the house.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The problem is, you can't be truly lucky more than a few days a year. Where's as you can be skillful and invest enough time and effort every single day.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with you that in your particular case a good mid level machine will do as well than a high end one. You seem to specialize on a very unique type of areas I'm not really familiar with. So no reason to waste money on perks you don't need.
My cellar sites are filled with all kinds of iron targets. I'm wondering if yours weren't log houses made with minimal use of nails.
As for the good target concentration, it's common for me as well to find a bunch of coins and relics a few feet from the foundation rather than directly at it. I suppose they would loose them doing routine activities such as washing and drying clothes, going to outhouse or working around the house.
Site age really dictates iron in the ground. 1800 little iron compared to early Victorian.
East coastal States are 100-150 yrs older than my early sites.

So the concentration of iron will be less for sure, wide separation between targets.
Any mid range detector will be worthy in these sites, great soil, no trash.

Even your area is fare bit older than my area in Eastern Ontario.

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look it’s obvious the 3 main players are, xp deus , minelab and notka. The machine is as only good as the user. Can they create a better machine, garrets seems happy with mid level machines and security wands. 1500.00 is a heck of a lot to spend on a machine that tells you it’s metal in the ground. Just enginee it to determine ferr or nonferrous, I don’t mind digging. what are the engineers aloud to create without violating some stupid fcc rule. Show me some examples of advancem within reason that can justify spending that much on a detector.
DEUS 2 I COULD BY FIVE MORE WITH THE FINDS THIS MACHINE HAS MADE ALREADY. CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, you'd rather exchange some thing (skill) you have complete control over in favor of something you have no control over whatsoever? 🤨

...And I thought the idea was to get good with these things (MDs) to reduce the luck factor. Silly me! 🤦🏼‍♂️

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Experience comes from constant using the machine, multiple frequencies seem best, I just want to know which machine snaps right on the target without hesitation, seperation and being consistent, if you all want to swing fast like maniacs go ahead, this is a patient hobby, you go ahead and cover more ground, I’ll cover less and go slower and see what happens, so yeah I want a machine that eliminates most nails, iron, xp deus 2 seems to be best at that currently, I love the minelab screen, but performance is what matters.
I would think the manticore is also on the same level as the deus 2. If you want a totally interactive machine the d2 has no competitors at all... however doesn't mean it performs better..... but from what I hear relic hunting in dirt advantage goes to the d2, on the beach it is the manticore

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread