Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Site age really dictates iron in the ground. 1800 little iron compared to early Victorian.
East coastal States are 100-150 yrs older than my early sites.

So the concentration of iron will be less for sure, wide separation between targets.
Any mid range detector will be worthy in these sites, great soil, no trash.

Even your area is fare bit older than my area in Eastern Ontario.
I've seen early French sites dating to 1600s filled with nails. But the usual rule indicates that the pieces of roof top and other larger pieces of iron appear around the early 1800s.

I do believe on early sites iron concentration has more to do with the house building technique, the type of settlement (example: blacksmith or farmer), years of occupation and especially way in which the settlement ended (fire, abandonment or the house being dismantled and moved). By the way, that last one is often unknown or ignored by the detectorists but it was a common practice and still is in some cases to move an old house to a new site leaving the cellar very quiet with only sporadic relics around the house site.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, you'd rather exchange some thing (skill) you have complete control over in favor of something you have no control over whatsoever? 🤨

...And I thought the idea was to get good with these things (MDs) to reduce the luck factor. Silly me! 🤦🏼‍♂️
Actually this hobby is challenging in many ways.

Yes one can swing the magical beeper all day long, dig little treasures, and life is grand.

Then some are at the stage where it becomes a challenge to better our skill to it leaves little to no doubt that we obtained all that there was to be recovered from the site.

There's one thing that really excites me is a tweak to the machine that does work in finding a few more targets from the site that had been done many times over.

But if the machine isn't capable of tweaking out a program further than what was provided from the manufacture-then there's no improving anything at that point.
This why the high end machines cost what they do-the program changes is unlimited.
49 frequency options alone and many of these for each factory preset, then the other changes.
This or a simple turn on and go with a preset program.

It opens the window of what can all the other site provide that I have already done.
Things like this one can go for ever without running out of possibilities.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think the manticore is also on the same level as the deus 2.
I agree with that. I spent the better part of 6 months researching this hobby & hardware; the Dēus II and Manticore were my two finalists.

I also echo/parrot many who've said that you probably can't go wrong with either.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen early French sites dating to 1600s filled with nails. But the usual rule indicates that the pieces of roof top and other larger pieces of iron appear around the early 1800s.

I do believe on early sites iron concentration has more to do with the house building technique, the type of settlement (example: blacksmith or farmer), years of occupation and especially way in which the settlement ended (fire, abandonment or the house being dismantled and moved). By the way, that last one is often unknown or ignored by the detectorists but it was a common practice and still is in some cases to move an old house to a new site leaving the cellar very quiet with only sporadic relics around the house site.
I have permissions where the owner knows the history and says-my Grandfather moved the house from there to here on the ice-very common occurrence back in the day. Ice over a track, slide the building to the new location.

I can think of 7 permissions off the top of the head this building moving has taken place.

Blacksmith sites-I think a screening plant would be of use to separate the amount of iron.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal Detectors - Ford or Chevy, Politics and Religion - it's all the same thing over and over.
Simple - as long as it works for you - don't worry about what other people say or do.

Just my opinion but as far as headphones go, I've hunted with and without them.
I've found that hunting without them is a huge disadvantage.
Headphones let you hear the deeper faint signals and also help reduce road, wind and wave noise.
For me, they also help me concentrate a lot better in the field.
Yes, they are hot in the Summer but they really help keep your ears warm in the Winter.
With full headphones you can still hear things like a car on the road, people talking, your Pin Pointer, etc..
Also, all the machines I've used - the built in speakers are low quality - including the E-Trac & Deus 1
Use full headphones for a month - then try anything else - 9 out of 10 you switch back.

Everyone's hearing is different but sound quality is very important to all of us.
I've never used WS 6's so I can't give you my opinion on their sound quality.
But the two or three pairs of WS 5's I've used sounded very muffled - like they had cotton packed inside.
8 years ago I got a pair of the full sized Deteknix headphones that you use with the Deus puck.
Well made - amazing sound quality and wear all day comfort.

Good Hunting !

OP
OP
J

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i want everyone to experience that wow factor when they find something considered nice, why not. My advice detect slow enough to here those beeps or tones, you will be glad you did.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i want everyone to experience that wow factor when they find something considered nice, why not. My advice detect slow enough to here those beeps or tones, you will be glad you did.
The dirt field picture I posted up if you were to isolate every target, it would take a person longer to do that than sifting it all.
The Deus ll takes the ? Out of the need to listen closely, it let's the ears know when it's a better target.

Low and slow is a good way of producing finds, there's no arguments to that one.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But the two or three pairs of WS 5's I've used sounded very muffled - like they had cotton packed inside.
Wait... you peeled back the foam covers and removed the foam packing material, right? 🤔

8 years ago I got a pair of the full sized Deteknix headphones that you use with the Deus puck.
Well made - amazing sound quality and wear all day comfort.

Good Hunting !
So that's a 3rd party HP that'll work with Dēus?
Ping: Jollyrodger1
I wonder if they'll work with Dēus II?

And I was kidding about the foam in the HP... 😜

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In response to the LCs out of 600+ there's a lot of pre 1900. I dig a lot of pre 1858 coinage up here 1815-1840 and it will be half and full penny Tokens.

You still haven't told me how many years you have been metal detecting. Do you live in an area with no competition? My area has been done to death, so I have to go where no one else wants to go (swampy and overgrown areas) or walk a mile or two in the woods looking for virgin cellar holes or cabin sites.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really truly believe that the 1.5K detector isn't going to gain any more than a mid-range detector

You truly believe that the more you pay for a detector, the deeper it will go? Sorry, that's just not true. Just a BS sales pitch that Deus and others like to claim to dupe uneducated detectorists into buying their overpriced detectors.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal Detectors - Ford or Chevy, Politics and Religion - it's all the same thing over and over.
Simple - as long as it works for you - don't worry about what other people say or do.

Exactly! Also remember that some posters here are hyping a certain detector because they're being compensated by that company to promote their product. They give them a free metal detector in exchange for them extolling the virtues of the machine and trying to convince everyone that 1.5k is a steal for their detector. Yup, it's a steal all right...

Jolly Roger Blue

Jan 18, 2014
Hurst, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Freedom ACE 2, GTA 500, ACE 250,Tesoro Silver U Max, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max…
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This topic has been hashed so many times over the years.

Yet it never gets old regardless of what product being a kitchen appliance, shop tool, automobile, boat, fishing tackle.
Yes a row boat that floats will enable a person to catch a fish close to shore-same as the$100,000 bass boat.
Yes the $500 clunker will get from point A-B (if the distance is under a few hundred miles) the same as the $60,000 one.
Yes a $200 metal detector will find things in the ground just as the $1500 dollar ones.
But there is a difference if each example for comfort, reliability, warranty.

So the site in the picture is a homesite, the brown soil area is the iron patch in the iron patch so to speak.
6' swing or less, overlapping coil for coverage the bottom of the picture is grey soil compared to the brown area.
Each swing I could count 6-10 targets, in the brown 20+ targets and more.
I had the reactivity turned up to 3 and I had to slow the swing down to 12 seconds to do a full left to right swing.

The Deus ll has probably one of the fastest processors ever in a detector (I've only owned high end machines from the early 70's)
Still it was separating but truthfully the ears/mind processor gets overloaded hearing every beep.

Yes the $200 machine will go beep/beep/beep just as fast as the $1500 machine.
But I will put this out there that that $200 machine will be not separating the targets as efficiently.
I see what folks post up finds from fields-70-90% iron and I get that totally.
The low end machine can't separate period.
I'll even put the Minelab ETac into this grouping. One would have snail crawl through the iron to separate.
Yesterday I dug iron as well, nails, a huge iron pintle pin, aluminum, rusty sheet.

That is expected as it was the first try at a new program using 42 discrimination instead of 5.8. Crazy setting and it was like the discrimination was at 0, hearing everything.

But looking at the pictures from the previous few hunts at this site.
The non ferrous count was a 24, 12, 4, 10, 12, 16 (There is a couple I missed)
The last 4 hunts were with the Deus ll with the 9" coil, the first 3 hunts were with the Deus l with the 9x5 elliptical.

Yesterday's 37 count=4hrs
30 low end type recoveries
10 ok recoveries
Out of the 10 the watch winder got the honours, then the match safe, then the gold wash piece.
Out of every one of the recoveries there was a nail(s) also with the target.

Pinpointing the target out of the hole was a challenge at this site because the target sits then on more iron because of the concentration of targets.
Depth of the targets are all under 6" because of the layers of iron.

Reason for the 37 count-compaction of soil, new program, 4 hrs of detecting instead of 2-3 hrs.
View attachment 2141141 View attachment 2141142

View attachment 2141139
“The low end machine can't separate period”

I’ll take my low end machines and run circles around your Deus!!!

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think I'd like to see that! 😁 (Seriously! :laughing7: )

1712586858233.gif

Jolly Roger Blue

Jan 18, 2014
Hurst, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Freedom ACE 2, GTA 500, ACE 250,Tesoro Silver U Max, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max…
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look it’s obvious the 3 main players are, xp deus , minelab and notka. The machine is as only good as the user. Can they create a better machine, garrets seems happy with mid level machines and security wands. 1500.00 is a heck of a lot to spend on a machine that tells you it’s metal in the ground. Just enginee it to determine ferr or nonferrous, I don’t mind digging. what are the engineers aloud to create without violating some stupid fcc rule. Show me some examples of advancem within reason that can justify spending that much on a detector.

OP
OP
J

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my that’s amazing, that’s important seperation, iron nails etc. from watching calabash and few others unless they are brand loyal did testing and I assume deus was a little better than manticore unless the updates worked.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

No doubt that you will be running circles around Mr.🤣

Just like a 🐕 trying to catch its tail.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Exactly! Also remember that some posters here are hyping a certain detector because they're being compensated by that company to promote their product. They give them a free metal detector in exchange for them extolling the virtues of the machine and trying to convince everyone that 1.5k is a steal for their detector. Yup, it's a steal all right...
Yes I also remember the others (green around the gills) that just couldn't accept that.

Actually bashed them to no end here, and on another forum.

Now does that reflection fit the mirror?

So farking what!
Big deal that they received a product for their time and effort.

Show me any tester that doesn't receive a gift.
It's call promotional compensation.

Personally I would not even spend a lick of time to do what a tester does.

Sure I will benefit from the testing, suggestions on what setting works.

The $1,500 = testing, video taping, edits, posting, replies, calls to the manufacturer, getting shit thrown in the face from folks.

If you gave me a detector + $10K I would be like thanks- but no thanks.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not accept a detector to run it thru all of it's options and testing and extoll all the virtues of how good it is, and that is because for me, most of that stuff is over MY head. I'll leave that to all the "experts". In 40 years I do not think I have EVER used all the options nor played with all the adjustments on any detector I've used, but I sure have enjoyed it, and I have found some really good stuff. OK fella's, having said all that, I have got to agree with pepperj in that if a guy is going to learn, master? and test and film everything on a new detector, and then receives that detector for the effort in return, why not? If they are willing to go thru all of that, so that perhaps I might pick up some tips that I was not aware of or did not understand, then again, good for them. And so I rest my case....

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One only has to do the math to see if they're into this free detector game.
$1500 by $25 = 60 hours of time

Now there's the Go-Pro, the look at me stick, or tripod. microphone.
Building a test garden.
Having another few machines to do comparison tests.
Edits
Going out and testing it
Gas
Having the basic knowledge of how everything works in the programs.
Geez I go :dontknow:when I first getting any machine

I give credit where credit is due and it certainly goes to the folks that do these tests and help guys like me trying to figure it all out.

I know that some think they should pony up the $$$ and spend their time freely to entertain the masses.
But it's really :laughing7: we don't see the ones that criticize the testers doing it.

The way manuals are written I'm bloody glad to have a tutorial by some to run the machine through the programs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions