Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IDK what was going on here.... :dontknow:
(but I think I get the gist :laughing7: )

As long as a promoter/influencer/reviewer/whathaveyou is transparent/upfront about compensation, I don't have a problem with it.

OTOH, if I found out after the fact that they were a paid shill... Yeah, that makes a difference. It adversely affects the credibility of both the review and the reviewer.

That said, most--if not all--of the vids I watched when researching detectors were very candid about any compensatory relationship, OR that they paid for all their stuff out of their own pockets with NO compensation.

YMMV.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter how honest and reputable you are, you cannot give an unbiased opinion of a product if you are compensated to review it. That includes freebies, merchandise discounts and so on. Whether you reveal the fact that you are being compensated for your endorsement is not relevant. Your opinion is worthless if you're on the company's payroll.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter how honest and reputable you are, you cannot give an unbiased opinion of a product if you are compensated to review it. That includes freebies, merchandise discounts and so on. Whether you reveal the fact that you are being compensated for your endorsement is not relevant. Your opinion is worthless if you're on the company's payroll.
Freebird, so if I were ever asked to give a comment or a review of a Railroad that I was compensated for by working on their tracks, my opinion would be worthless? After all, I was on the company payroll... So no matter how honest AND reputable a person might be, there opinion is worthless IF, they were to accept anything for their effort. Interesting. On videos I have watched about a detector, and then they compare other like detectors, (you know, apples to apples) I decide between them on my own. Not by a fella telling me THIS ONE IS the BEST!. Doesn't really work that way. If a guy puts in the time, effort and expense, and has learned all the programs of each detector, so that they can be matched evenly on the playing field of a test garden, then I hope to hell he gets a least ONE freebee detector. He can "endorse" any one of the group he wants. I still choose. I am not trying to pick a fight, but recently I bought a set of dog stairs, they really have worked well. I will now reveal the fact that I received a "merchandise discount", but will add that my opinion of those stairs are not worthless, but based on fact. If you are so dead set against any other detector that anyone uses that cost more than the AT Pro, because they are just wasting their money by buying into the hype, could I then assume that you are being compensated by Garrett? just saying....

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever seen a bad review of a metal detector on YouTube when the person received that detector for free? I haven't. That's why their opinion is worthless. They were given a 1.5 k detector and aren't stupid enough to bite the hand that feeds them because they'll never get another freebie from that company if they give a negative review.

You analogy regarding the railroad worker is incorrect. They're working for a salary, so nothing was given to them. I would respect their opinion on the railroad, good or bad. But if the worker was given a bonus to rave about how great the railroad was, then his opinion is now worthless.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are so dead set against any other detector that anyone uses that cost more than the AT Pro, because they are just wasting their money by buying into the hype, could I then assume that you are being compensated by Garrett? just saying

I'm not dead set against any detector that costs more than my AT Pro. I'm just stating the obvious. Spending a grand more for a metal detector because you might find a few more Mercs than a $500 detector finds is just a waste of money. Don't buy the hype. Any decent detector will find the good stuff if you're in the right location. And no detector will magically find valuable coins or relics if you're in the wrong location.

As for being compensated by Garrett, that's just silly. Watch any of my 53 videos on YouTube and you'll see that I rarely mention what detector I'm using. I also doubt that Garrett compensates anyone who has a grand total of 350 subscribers to their channel! Lol!

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spending a grand more for a metal detector because you might find a few more Mercs than a $500 detector finds is just a waste of money.

That kinda sounds like sour grapes. 🤨

A midrange detector will indubitably find stuff, but will it have the same functionality? IDTS. 😒

I think you may also be forgetting the fun factor (among others). Sure, a beater may get you where you want to go, but I'd still rather ride in something with a-c, decent stereo, heated reclining seats, 5 on the floor, and a Hemi. 😎

Not everyone uses a MD the same way--or for the same reasons. Some just want to swing & dig, while others are more curious about how one minute setting change or another might affect/improve their efforts/results.

People are--and have always been--willing to pay extra for niceties (options, features, or whatever you want to call them), whether additional frequencies or extra cheese on a pizza. Do I need the extra cheese? No, but I like extra cheese, I want extra cheese, I'm willing to pay for extra cheese, and the best/only argument against extra cheese is because you think it's a waste of money ‽‽‽ :icon_scratch:

If it's a "waste" of money (which I don't agree with) then it's my (or whoever's) money to "waste." 🤑

I know I'm getting--and will get--far more out of this thing than I put into it. That's an unqualified "win" in my book. :thumbsup:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you may also be forgetting the fun factor (among others). Sure, a beater may get you where you want to go, but I'd still rather ride in something with a-c, decent stereo, heated reclining seats, 5 on the floor, and a Hemi.

So you have more fun swinging a Deus than I do with my AT Pro because you spent a grand more for it? Wow, that's just an incredibly silly comment. You're trying to compare a tool (which is what a metal detector is) to a classic muscle car? Totaly ridiculous analogy.

As I've stated many times here, you can't buy your way into this hobby. Spending up to two grand on a metal detector is pointless if you don't have the time, patience, intelligence and skill to use it. You also need to be able to do research and actually find the best locations. Your Deus is a 1.5k piece of junk if you're using it at the wrong locations.

The better analogies are what I've previously stated. A $300 softball bat won't help you hit home runs if you stink at softball. And buying the best gold clubs won't make a difference if you don't have the skill to master that sport. And finally, buying that muscle car with a Hemi won't make you a better driver. Trust me, I've seen a lot of boneheads total those types of cars because they can't handle them. Just look at what happened to Paul Walker. He went for a short ride with the a guy who had money to burn on a car, but didn't have the skill to drive it. Cost him his life.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you have more fun swinging a Deus than I do with my AT Pro because you spent a grand more for it?
No, I can/will have more fun with a Dēus II than I would with an AT Pro. If I didn't think so, I would have bought something else.

Like many folks, I established a budget and stuck to it. It seems your beef is that some people have different budgets than yourself. :dontknow:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, my beef is with the metal detecting companies that take advantage of gullible people. Seems like every few months, the latest and greatest detector is deemed obsolete and they hype a new detector that's "better" than the one everyone just paid 1.5k to own. They give a few of them away to YouTube guys to hype them and they swear that the NOX 900 (for example) is way better than the NOX 800 (which is apparently junk now). Like lemmings to the sea, guys rush out and buy it because they think it will give them an advantage over everyone else.

I remember the Deus selling for close to 2k when it first came out. Now it's $500 on eBay. Think about that for a minute. They're selling them for $500 and making at least 50% profit on the deal. So that means anyone who paid 2k for one a few years back gave Deus at least $1750 profit on the deal. As PT Barnum stated "There's a sucker born every minute."

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's not the metal detecting companies; that's capitalism.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freebird, I do have a AT-Pro, hanging on the wall. I like having options, so instead of operating at a single Freq. (The AT's 15) I have the "option" of 4, 5, 10, 15, 20 & 40 or "Multi". In addition to other advantages that the AT does not have. Again, the AT is a good detector. I suppose I could of stayed with my first used detector, the Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, circa. 1970's, or my old Garrett GTA 1000, which had been used in ten different states and backpacked into places I can't manage to hike into anymore. I decided to move on to something better because I wanted to, and was able to $ wise. I don't think it's the detector so much as you sound to be angry with anyone who bought something that cost more than the AT Pro. You COULD have saved a few bucks having gone with the Garrett ACE 150. It's just as good as the AT or Manticore, right? I'm just saying...all of us use what we have, just wanting to get out a swing a coil, something we all do have in common. I not looking to get into a ------- contest with you or anybody else on T-Net, you have found some great items, and you are right, location, location, location. If it's not there, no detector will find it. As Charles Garrett said, "Go to where people have been."

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look everyone I don’t know how much it cost to develop a metal detector and it’s computer chip board etc. not everything is a 100% markup. The price can be adjusted once it’s on the market. However what’s nice Minelab is the only company that gives military members a discount that’s nice, they are expensive to but almost equal or equal to xp deus. Any comments are welcome good subject maybe we can learn something.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone wants to spend $1500.00 for a detector they like, they didn't waste their money if they wanted to spend it, it was their money.

Every detector I own has paid for itself, some several times over except for one detector and that is my Equinox 800 and that is only because I haven't detected with it enough times having injured my knee shortly after buying it then the surgery, but it is half paid for in finds.

Granted I live in Florida and I primarily hunt beaches, it doesn't take many gold jewelry finds to pay for itself. I still love my Excals with remote reverse discrimination and still use them, when I go to the beach I take 2 excals and my Equinox, the detector I end up using depends on how rough the surf is at that time.

OP
OP
J

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not necessarily trying to justify the price, but you can’t help think about the little incremental upgrades that they add. Yes if your in the right spot almost any detector will detect a signal, I still try to figure why the deus 2 and manticore are 500.00 more than the machine below speaking of minelab 900 or xp deus 2 master 6 puck version, now that’s a legitimate question justification of that against there sister machines.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just get tired of hearing that the AT Pro is obsolete and how it's an "entry level" metal detector. Most of my best finds over the years have been in places hunted to death by guys with the 1.5k or higher detectors. If they're so great, why did they miss half reales, seated dimes and even big coppers? Why is my $500 machine finding them, while their machines aren't detecting them?

Here's a perfect example. I made this list up a couple of years ago. These were all found at a very public park in Glocester, RI from 2015 to 2022. This park has been done to death. The whole area has been done to death because it was settled over 300 years ago and the Dorr Rebellion occured here. Lots of history in this town, so the detectorists come far and wide to hit it.

I've run into at least a dozen guys metal detecting here with all sorts of machines. CTX 3030's, Deus I and II, Nox 800 and so on. How could these guys miss all these great coins and relics, while my cheapo AT Pro found them? Either I'm the best metal detectorist in this state (very doubtful) or the metal detecting companies are full of you know what. These "high end" machines aren't getting the job done, so why spend so much for them? Just my take on it all...

zip list .png

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know that finding stuff others missed says anything about their detectors. I have gone back to places I've hunted before and found stuff I missed before, even when using the same machine.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually, my beef is with the metal detecting companies that take advantage of gullible people. Seems like every few months, the latest and greatest detector is deemed obsolete and they hype a new detector that's "better" than the one everyone just paid 1.5k to own. They give a few of them away to YouTube guys to hype them and they swear that the NOX 900 (for example) is way better than the NOX 800 (which is apparently junk now). Like lemmings to the sea, guys rush out and buy it because they think it will give them an advantage over everyone else.

I remember the Deus selling for close to 2k when it first came out. Now it's $500 on eBay. Think about that for a minute. They're selling them for $500 and making at least 50% profit on the deal. So that means anyone who paid 2k for one a few years back gave Deus at least $1750 profit on the deal. As PT Barnum stated "There's a sucker born every minute."

A $1500 detector stated almost in every post by you now has been inflated to $2000.

That very same model with the very same options is now selling on eBay for $500.

Show us those examples please.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll be honest, I bought my Manticore simply because it was there in front of me at Cabela's. I wanted to try out the 2d trace, so I bought it. Has it helped me find better relics? Simple answer is no. I bought a Deus 2 WS6 Master because I liked the ORX and wanted to give XP more of a look. Did it help me find better relics? Probably not. If you look to the left, you can see I own several detectors. I've only been detecting since January 2023.

I have a job that pays very well, allows me to pay all my bills and buy what I want while still putting money in savings. Not everyone can do that, I get it. But those of us that can buy the $1500 detector; will. IMHO, experience is what makes the detector, not price. I have little experience; I may swing right over "great" targets and not even know it. Because it sounded too choppy, I just walked on by. I've had signals that sounded great that turned out to be beer cans, not even the $1500 can help with that.

I guess my point is, experience will be the leading factor in what you find. Well, and a little luck!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess I just get tired of hearing that the AT Pro is obsolete and how it's an "entry level" metal detector. Most of my best finds over the years have been in places hunted to death by guys with the 1.5k or higher detectors. If they're so great, why did they miss half reales, seated dimes and even big coppers? Why is my $500 machine finding them, while their machines aren't detecting them?

Here's a perfect example. I made this list up a couple of years ago. These were all found at a very public park in Glocester, RI from 2015 to 2022. This park has been done to death. The whole area has been done to death because it was settled over 300 years ago and the Dorr Rebellion occured here. Lots of history in this town, so the detectorists come far and wide to hit it.

I've run into at least a dozen guys metal detecting here with all sorts of machines. CTX 3030's, Deus I and II, Nox 800 and so on. How could these guys miss all these great coins and relics, while my cheapo AT Pro found them? Either I'm the best metal detectorist in this state (very doubtful) or the metal detecting companies are full of you know what. These "high end" machines aren't getting the job done, so why spend so much for them? Just my take on it all...

View attachment 2143136
Let's break this down.

7 years of detecting at the park.
You have stated that you have run into others a dozen times
So either you monitor the going ons in this park, or detect it a lot.

How big is the park 1 or 100s acres?

You have recorded everything every person has found.
I find this amazing 👏
Even more so that you found everything after every other high end machine was in the park.
(Because every high end machine missed that list of recoveries)

A person that has detected the same piece of grass multiple times will in fact have the finds advantage over the newly arrival.
(Home turf advantage)

I detected a park in Toronto probably 100's of times (High Park 400 acres)and had only seen another person detecting a couple of times.
Back in the mid 80's the dealer told me that the park was hunted out.

Just in 2009 from the said park I still recorded over 104 silvers.
20-Little nickels (Fishscales)
55-Dimes
29-Quarters

57-LCs (1860-1920)
4-tokens ( 1832-40)
15-misc Tokens
9-silver rings
5-gold rings
4-silver jewelry

3419 coins in total

(Yes there's even a banner up on the header in the past year made with a DEUS ll from this park)

Up to 10 yrs ago I could still get 2 keepers (silver/LC/Jewelry)every hour out of this park.
This park has been detected for nearly 60 years-hard for 50 years.
By every make and model of machine.

I was detecting in Bradenton FL.
Fellow rolled up and stated they had found/detected cleaned the park up way back 20-40 yrs before.
I listened, he kept telling, I was at first a skeptical, then I knew he was talking sense.
Amazing stuff/stories about the early days, and what his father recoveries.
He told me to detect a small area. Listen really good, and you're going to find a IH.
They're deep close to a foot.
I went back to that spot, and @ 11" I got my first IH out of that park.
Minelab SE.

Hometown advantage its called.

Detecting in England same field, hundreds of folks have walked it.
3 times to the same spot in the field for me.
Half dozen hunters that day, hunting same dirt as previous folks hunted.
Yet I got a 50BC gold Stater 6" away from previous multiple dug holes.
Half of those holes were my own.

It just proves that we all suck when it comes to detecting.
Regardless of what machines are being used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions