diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas what this thing held? I can't find anything similar. I bought it for the graphics. The outer is some type of galvanized sheet metal I believe, and the inner is anodized aluminum. The outer dimensions are 15 3/4" long by 3 1/2" wide, actual measurement inside the tray is 15 1/2" by 3 1/4". It slides open from both ends. Actually if you turn it sideways, the tray falls out on it's own with no resistance. Why would it have an anodized aluminum insert anyways? Why not sheet metal or whatever the exterior is made from? Definitely 2 different types of metal.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about those real long stem matches used around fireplaces?
That was suggested by Lost&Found here-
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/476431-art-art-deco-whatsit.html#post4684739

I searched for hours and never found anything related. I would agree, if I could find a single example of a similar sized/shaped, metal matchstick holder.

I think the graphics are going to be a clue to identifying what it contained but they could be unrelated. I haven't found any similar images. It shows classical type nude women in various forms, posed on Victorian(?) dolphins. One appears to be holding a "torsoed" shirt, the other what may or may not be a plumed helmet or hat, one holding a fish and the last just appears to be clutching the cloth fabric of which each are draped in. All seemingly unrelated to me.

I find it strange that whatever it is, there isn't any lettering on it whatsoever.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it could possibly be depicting the Muses or Sirens the Muses had to do with art so it could have been something holding powdered paint used in watercolor.If you Google watercolor paint tins you will see some but not yours, if that is what it is.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread