What's new

What did you get for a Dollar ?

TheDane

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2005
Messages
811
Reaction score
119
Golden Thread
1
Location
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TNetters :)

I am interested in the value of different currencies at the historical time of their minting.
What could you actually buy for the money.
My question:

What could you get for a US-Dollar:

In 1800
In 1850
In 1900
In 1950
? ? ?

I thank you for any help ! :thumbsup:
 
A Pre WW1 dollar would buy you what $20 buys now.

But I don't know what item values were
 
Less and less.

You might not get many replies because this is no doubt a sore spot considering the US dollar has plummeted and will probably never return anywhere close to what it once was.
 
1970 A Big Mac,Fries and a coke and change back!!!!!!!!!!
 
Iron Patch said:
Less and less.

You might not get many replies because this is no doubt a sore spot considering the US dollar has plummeted and will probably never return anywhere close to what it once was.

Well, that is the same all over I guess.
In my childhood more than 40 years ago, I could get a full little bag of candy for 1 danish Crown. Today most single pieces of candy cost the same ! :(

:hello:
 
TheDane said:
Iron Patch said:
Less and less.

You might not get many replies because this is no doubt a sore spot considering the US dollar has plummeted and will probably never return anywhere close to what it once was.

Well, that is the same all over I guess.
In my childhood more than 40 years ago, I could get a full little bag of candy for 1 danish Crown. Today most single pieces of candy cost the same ! :(

:hello:


No, I'm not talking about inflation, just the last 10 years the dollar has nose-dived.
 
Iron Patch said:
TheDane said:
Iron Patch said:
Less and less.

You might not get many replies because this is no doubt a sore spot considering the US dollar has plummeted and will probably never return anywhere close to what it once was.

Well, that is the same all over I guess.
In my childhood more than 40 years ago, I could get a full little bag of candy for 1 danish Crown. Today most single pieces of candy cost the same ! :(

:hello:


No, I'm not talking about inflation, just the last 10 years the dollar has nose-dived.

Well, look at it this way: Makes it cheaper for me to come visit your wonderful country !! :wav:
 
Here is a calculator for the purchasing power of the American dollar -http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/ppowerus/
However this isn't realistic because it doesn't really answer the question you posed, because a dollar doesn't buy what it did back then when compared with the calculator statistics. For example in 1800 the dollar had the purchasing power of $17.90, but in 1800 that $1.00 would buy you 3 meals and a room, today $17.90 won't buy you 3 meals hardly. This link will help answer some questions as far as the historic price of food goes- http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq5.html#tavern pretty interesting stuff.
 
diggummup said:
Here is a calculator for the purchasing power of the American dollar -http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/ppowerus/
However this isn't realistic because it doesn't really answer the question you posed, because a dollar doesn't buy what it did back then when compared with the calculator statistics. For example in 1800 the dollar had the purchasing power of $17.90, but in 1800 that $1.00 would buy you 3 meals and a room, today $17.90 won't buy you 3 meals hardly. This link will help answer some questions as far as the historic price of food goes- http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq5.html#tavern pretty interesting stuff.

Thanks diggummup :icon_thumleft:

Strange, it says $17.90 in 1800, but $26 in 1900 ?? :icon_scratch:
 
I was showing an old man a mercury dime that I had found and he wanted to know the date."1923",I said. He just looked at me and said,"you know how much I could have bought with that dime in 1923?,I could have gone to the store and bought a months worth of dried beans,corn, and coffee. It would have almost filled a buckoard.I was working for 10cents a day plus meals on a farm in 1923,and that was a 12 hour day." It really put things in perspective. rockhound
 
TheDane said:
diggummup said:
Here is a calculator for the purchasing power of the American dollar -http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/ppowerus/
However this isn't realistic because it doesn't really answer the question you posed, because a dollar doesn't buy what it did back then when compared with the calculator statistics. For example in 1800 the dollar had the purchasing power of $17.90, but in 1800 that $1.00 would buy you 3 meals and a room, today $17.90 won't buy you 3 meals hardly. This link will help answer some questions as far as the historic price of food goes- http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq5.html#tavern pretty interesting stuff.

Thanks diggummup :icon_thumleft:

Strange, it says $17.90 in 1800, but $26 in 1900 ?? :icon_scratch:
Maybe something to do with the "Second Industrial Revolution" in America at the time or the "Gilded age"?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom