What's new

What do I have? Clovis??????

SLIDER-in-KY

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 10, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these Clovis points? I've been told Clovis and I've been told Folsom points. Which is it???

B7E859B5-37D3-4363-A892-2FC6C04B7282_zpsuebtsvne.jpg
 
Upvote 0
You would be surprised how many old time collections have repros. They were faking points back in the 1930s here in AR.

I have a book written in 1897 that has an entire chapter on fake Points, Thunderbirds, Turtles, Fish Hooks, etc. So they have been making them for a very long time.
 
I've always been told that Clovis points have flutes that went half way up the blade and a Folsom have flutes that go all the way to the tip of the blade. None of these have flutes. Could be preforms? They do look suspicious.
 
:BangHead:Fake, Fake, Fake. Sorry. It really upsets me when people put stuff like that out in the public. Take a look at a post I had years back. Folsom Folsom Folsom. Thats what a Folsom looks like.
 
Last edited:
My opinion. Modern repro's, all made by the same individual in modern times. As others have noted, do not fit Clovis or Folsom pattern.
 
I'll have to go along with all the others on their call. If found down south in the dirt or creek they would have some hinging but not that much and it would depend on the type of stone. Also no matter where they would have come from there would be some dirt under the hinge, even if they were in a cache. Without having them in my hand to place under a microscope to tell the type of stone, my guess on the black ones are raw Novaculite from Arkansas. JMO

I'll second that as well. While living here in arkansas my whole life and also a fellow flint knapper I can tell you that arkansas has a huge majority of fakes. Some saying from Missouri some from Georgia. I've even found fakes while metal detecting around old abandoned houses. Just because they are arrowheads doesn't make them legit arrowheads.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom