What's new

What do I have? Clovis??????

SLIDER-in-KY

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 10, 2016
Messages
3
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these Clovis points? I've been told Clovis and I've been told Folsom points. Which is it???

B7E859B5-37D3-4363-A892-2FC6C04B7282_zpsuebtsvne.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Certainly paleo bifaces.

But the photos aren't clear enough to show fluted bases.

Of the three, the point I would most likely characterize as Clovis, is the lowest one in the photo.

A better picture of the lowest point would help... particularly with some side lighting
 
A few questions.

Where were they found?

Did you find them?

What are the materials?

I ask because for what may be Paleo pieces, which are at least 11,000 years old, they sure have an awful lot of hinge fractures still visible on them.
 
A few questions.

Where were they found?

Did you find them?

What are the materials?

I ask because for what may be Paleo pieces, which are at least 11,000 years old, they sure have an awful lot of hinge fractures still visible on them.

Which would of course be possible if they were cached.

They've clearly been in the dirt.

Your question is a good one.
 
If you found them, congrats.

If you bought them, get your money back. The knapping style, the hinges and stacks simply don't fit with any of the documented Clovis caches or really normal authentic Clovis points.
 
See if these pics help.

102C4441-5BD4-4517-BFB4-F0813438818D_zps8dbqitpx.jpg


9048F6A5-1029-4142-A245-B25BE04EEF3B_zpscihv9ivc.jpg


03A9E33C-7BD9-4FDB-A0E8-9DAA9573C934_zpsn6d4tolb.jpg


01630931-7B94-431C-9A46-243405A4FFE8_zpshqseopib.jpg


12E18B7B-5CD7-4C53-995E-2661C4CE21AE_zps4tu0qs0i.jpg


54CA9E1A-5226-48AF-9066-0E19FCD304BF_zpsh2lt3q5c.jpg


5949E7A3-6F32-4CB3-88D3-F01E67278347_zpsdtgnyc0q.jpg
 
They were found in KY. Purchased from a collector that was selling his collection because he's retiring and relocating.
 
None of them are fluted... none of them have evidence of skilled overshot flaking.

therefore, not Clovis or Folsom

As for their authenticity, I'll leave that to others.
 
I would be quite skeptical. I swear they look freshly knapped. I don't see any dirt under the hinges but I'm looking on my phone.
 
I would get a hands on evaluation.
 
They look like reproductions. jmo.
 
I'm going to stand bold with my decision of these being modern reproductions. Not sure what style they were going for though, as others stated, knapping style, flake scars and not even flakes to call basal thinning, nonetheless flutes... Unless you paid just a few bucks for them, I'd go back and get your money back or if there is actually ancient points in the collection, trade back for those.... But, when there are reproductions sold as ancient, they are now known as fakes and and other desirable artifacts will be questioned too.... Bummer.... Btw, im a knapper of 20 years and an artifact collector for like 30... Bleh... That isnt what modern flint knappers should be doing... I feel a ramble coming on so, im gonna stop!! Haha...
Hope to see you come out on top with these!!!
 
Could you show a side view of them, that will help. I've been hunting for close to 35 years and those just don't look right. Jmo
 
100_0694.webp 100_0693.webp


Here's a double fluted Clovis for comparison.

Those look like repros to me.
 
Look like they were made yesterday...and kinda weird flaking for "paleo"...repros IMHO.
 
Well Slider, it looks like the consensus is that they are modern repros. The hinge fractures and the flaking style are the biggest red flags on those. I hope you get your money back.
 
I'll have to go along with all the others on their call. If found down south in the dirt or creek they would have some hinging but not that much and it would depend on the type of stone. Also no matter where they would have come from there would be some dirt under the hinge, even if they were in a cache. Without having them in my hand to place under a microscope to tell the type of stone, my guess on the black ones are raw Novaculite from Arkansas. JMO
 
You would be surprised how many old time collections have repros. They were faking points back in the 1930s here in AR.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom