What's new

WHAT DO YOU DO,

I don't have to say a whole lot more than that I am a small business owner in Michigan, selling to other small businesses.
After more than 20 years in this business I have had to lay off both of my staff, and am trying to keep all the balls in the air by myself.
So, after spending over 20 years building a business I'm right now wondering if I will have to pack it in, and lose everything I've worked for.

In 2005 I broke a leg, got a blood clot, fell off a ladder, broke my hand (requiring 6 pins and 2 surgeries), discovered that I had kidney cancer, had to have a third of a kidney removed, and that was all in the first six months. Now here I am thinking of that as the good old days?

LOL,
Mark
 
mpostma said:
I don't have to say a whole lot more than that I am a small business owner in Michigan, selling to other small businesses.
After more than 20 years in this business I have had to lay off both of my staff, and am trying to keep all the balls in the air by myself.
So, after spending over 20 years building a business I'm right now wondering if I will have to pack it in, and lose everything I've worked for.

In 2005 I broke a leg, got a blood clot, fell off a ladder, broke my hand (requiring 6 pins and 2 surgeries), discovered that I had kidney cancer, had to have a third of a kidney removed, and that was all in the first six months. Now here I am thinking of that as the good old days?

LOL,
Mark

Thanks Mark,

I'm reminded of the story of someone who said they were depressed because they had no shoes, until they met a man with no feet.

Some times we just need to be reminded that maybe we are not as bad off as we think we are. And maybe should focus more on the things that we have to be thankful for. Your story has helped me realize that I have a lot to be thankful for.

I know you are not looking for sympathy. Although I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes and I will keep you in my prayers.

Sincerely,
Buddy~
 
Hey Buddy,
I wasn't looking for sympathy. Life is a journey. I am confident I will eat tomorrow, and the next day.
What I do may change, but who I am will not.
I will still take care of my family, and we will be just fine.
These things I know.
I feel bad for the employees that I have had for many years that I had to lay off.
One has a new job, the other has some good possibilities.
I see them and talk to them often.
I know they will be just fine too.

These are tough times for many people. Look at the number of people on this thread who are looking at losing their jobs and having to make changes in their lives they hadn't counted on, you included.

I don't think this is a time to panic, or get depressed. Hopefully this is a time to get creative, realize what our values are, and maybe find something to make a living at that might make us a little more satisfied than whatever we did before. Some of us will eventually make more money, some less. As long as we have our families, and those things in life that we enjoy doing we will all be ok.

I wish you the very best, Buddy, and everyone else that finds themselves at this crossroads.

Good Luck,
Mark
 
mpostma said:
Hey Buddy,
I wasn't looking for sympathy. Life is a journey. I am confident I will eat tomorrow, and the next day.
What I do may change, but who I am will not.
I will still take care of my family, and we will be just fine.
These things I know.
I feel bad for the employees that I have had for many years that I had to lay off.
One has a new job, the other has some good possibilities.
I see them and talk to them often.
I know they will be just fine too.

These are tough times for many people. Look at the number of people on this thread who are looking at losing their jobs and having to make changes in their lives they hadn't counted on, you included.

I don't think this is a time to panic, or get depressed. Hopefully this is a time to get creative, realize what our values are, and maybe find something to make a living at that might make us a little more satisfied than whatever we did before. Some of us will eventually make more money, some less. As long as we have our families, and those things in life that we enjoy doing we will all be ok.

I wish you the very best, Buddy, and everyone else that finds themselves at this crossroads.

Good Luck,
Mark

Mark,
You have a great attitude! And I know that what ever happens your strength of character will see you through.

If everyone had your outlook this world would be a far better place.
Thanks for your kind words. You are truly an inspiration. :thumbsup:

Buddy~
 
I lost two long term jobs. The first one I worked there 6 six years. Me and 3500 people had to find work all at the same time. The second was after 12 years. Actually I was glad to be fired, I hated that $#!7hole. Good luck in your search a job first.
 
If it were me I get right back out there and start beating the pavement and try to find more work it's easy to sit back and watch but it's hard worker that get the fruits ,

their are three kinds of people in the world
1 people make things happen
2 people that watch things happen
3 and people that wonder what happened

so I have all the confidence in the world in you go get back to work
 
First I would draw my unemployment check. My sure I check out all the help that I could receive from my county, and state. I would enjoy my time off from work as I figure I need it. Then in bout a month or two start looking for a job. Keep on Madding when ever I could. Good luck in what ever you do..mlayers
 
Be persistant in your search, be patient for your find, be grateful of your suroundings
Hey you'll get a new job!
You have all the right stuff your a MD'er
 
WOW! Tough out there! :o

I spent the last 4 years doing research for sites in my area, and ended up with a few sites in other states. I have made it up a few times to a few sites, but not as many as I have ready to go....So, I would be roamin' the deserts for awhile (not the desserts... however that sounds good too!) :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom