May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has an aunt and uncle who own a dairy farm in the northern area in the lower half of Michigan. Their brothers and parents own all of the houses on the street, and I have hit all of them with my AT Pro. I have found deep modern clad (5-6 inches I'd say), but never ANYTHING old. I've probably spent a total of 15 hours detecting all over the yards at the houses there. The family has been the owners of all the houses on the street going back to the late 1800s and I'm told that there's definitely never been anyone else who detected it.

It just doesn't make sense. I can see not finding old coins because they could have been poor or not carried change with them...but nothing old at all? What could be happening? There's no fill dirt either.

Upvote 0
There are older coins there.

You just haven't passed your coil over them. Keep at it.

if there has not been any filler, and the dirt has not been pushed around, and ur getting modern coins at 5-6 inchs sounds to me that stuff seems to sink there really fast, which means there probably are old coins there just too deep to get a decent signal

go slower and make sure you over lap your swings. Invite me to come up and I will help you. wishing wishing

Are you digging all signals? The VDI sometimes is off below the 6" range. I have read, not experienced, listening to the tone at depth not reading the VDI

I feel your pain. My prior post on an Early 1800's ghost town with multiple virgin home sites and not one coin from the period. Literally dozens of flat buttons, CW relics, thimbles and the list goes on without a single coin from the period. A couple of Barbers and a few wheats but nothing from the 1812-1865 heyday. Positive the sites are virgin. Drives you nuts doesn't it. I know my machine is up to par. It just really puzzles me why some sites just will not give up the jingle. Great relics but no coins. Guess we just have to keep at it and eventually on to greener pastures. HH

Probably need to keep searching, or try a deeper hitting machine.

There is still a good chance somebody detected there, for if they did it in the middle of the night and used a screwdriver for recovery, nobody would have known they were there. I say this because when I was a kid and even though I had permission I detected all my neighbors yards at night. I always felt my fisher worked better at night when there was no sunlight and all the different gamma rays it bathes you in. its a thought.

Mike

If you're not going all metal you may be missing some deeper targets. I have a friend that can pull beauties out in between the gruff old iron nail signals.

Just about every old coin I've dug up has registered in the pull tab-zinc range with the exception of silver. PP then size the target and dig everything nickel and above.

Was there alot of modern coins? I hunt some area where you gotta dig the junk (modern coins) out of the way to get the deeper stuff. Also, how old are the houses?

There is still a good chance somebody detected there, for if they did it in the middle of the night and used a screwdriver for recovery, nobody would have known they were there. I say this because when I was a kid and even though I had permission I detected all my neighbors yards at night. I always felt my fisher worked better at night when there was no sunlight and all the different gamma rays it bathes you in. its a thought. Mike

Is that why you wear the tin foil hat? Lol

Regardless of what you've been told the evidence says some one has been there before you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back