What do you personally look for in thrift stores/garage sales?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main thing I look for is vintage/antique glass and glassware. You have to know what your looking for/at though. That's why it can still be found. Most people don't know a whole lot about glass. "College" being the exception, i'll give him that much (sorry that's an inside joke :wink:). I'm still learning something new everyday. The makers, patterns and styles seem endless. I have found everything from vintage toys, vintage clothing, collectible art pottery, old porcelain, jewelry a time or two, even an occasional book worth reselling. When I go into a thrift store, my options run through the whole store.

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
There's no single area that I know a lot about, so I have to go with my gut instinct a lot. I take a lot of time to go through everything when I find a sale or store with what I think is a promising selection. When I'm looking at things that I don't know much about, I'll think about the attributes of the item: Is it old? Is it well-made? Is it made by a well-known company, and does it have the markings of any other companies? Does the item have any iconic qualities? Is it complete? Was it made to do a specific job, to look good, or both? Is it the sort of item that is supposed to last a long time? Is it a "consumable" item? Is it in good condition? Is there any wear on the item, and is that wear consistent with its primary purpose? Is it something that is generally not available for sale to the public? If I was looking to buy this particular item, where would I look? And how long would I expect to search before I find it? Is there a modern equivalent to the item, and is the modern equivalent significantly different?

If it ticks off enough boxes and the price is good then I'll go for it.

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old paintings, glassware and pottery. Never know what you will find. Bought a black velvet tacky painting from Mexico. Put it in my garage as a joke. People started stopping by wanting to buy it. Sold it for $50. Paid $2.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chisos, I have a similar story. Some friends of mine and I were having a sale and to demonstrate that point, one of my friends took an old coat hanger, undid it and wrapped it around a piece of bamboo. He put it out at the sale for $10. Sold it in the first hour.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antiques and glassware but can be hard to find in my area
I have lots of competition ( I live a few towns from Brimfield where they have largest outdoor antique show in the country )

Unopened items, sometimes I sell them for more than the sticker price

I look for desirable toys Gi joes to Toy story and quality toys not made in China .

I look for item that have scrap value. I picked up 4 tires on aluminum rims for $10. The tires have 90% tread and will fit my car and I can scrap the rims

I also look for free boxes after the yard sales ended . These are good for learning what items sell online without taking any risks.
In free boxes I have found texasware bowls , vintage bike parts , corning percolators, and many other items I did not realize had value

I look for things I need or friends and family need. I have saved a bundle ! I now rarely buy anything new.

Darrenjay

Oct 10, 2012
South Africa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a 1st edition winni the pooh for ten bucks, got it restored and appraised for $1000, also done well on etchings and paintings

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great topic

Easiest thing to do is bring a tablet/iPhone to thrift store / yard sales and immediately check to see if similar has SOLD and for how much on eBay. Doesn't matter what someone is asking only what sold.

I once read a very interesting study done by a reporter who was trying to prove you could make a living off eBay. He did a ton of research on what moved fast and there are always buyers. I was shocked that his favorite item to flip from thrift stores was quality team logo jerseys - champion, etc. a ton are sold on eBay and he was buying for under $5 and selling above $20. He made $10G in a year. Not a living, but not bad on the side. I think the key is getting the items that you know for a fact will sell and sell fast. Go volume over a single big kill.

I agree with previous poster who talked about books. Joe schmoes grandfather could have had old books in his house that are first editions (like the pooh book) that could be worth hundreds to thousands. They get dropped off at good will after he dies. I'd also take a shot at old costume jewelry. Good market for stuff from twenties and before and every once in a while you find something with real stones and/or au/ag.

Btw love the brimfield flea market. Was a lot better years ago than it is today.

Good luck to hear stories of great finds.

Forkeh

Greenie
Oct 30, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sterling, vintage jewelry, art and fine China if I can recognize the name (doesn't usually happen). Sometimes I'm not looking in anything in particular, just killing an afternoon. Regarding thrift stores and Sterling, almost every type of platter, candle holder, or anything like that is going to be plated. Where's I've found the surprise treasures, believe it or not picture frames and flatware, usually in the junkiest thrift stores in town.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUMP...come on guys and gals, the worlds a huge place, I doubt we are any of our competitors here. Lets be honest, whats the best things to hunt for?>

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple more things to add that a friend of mine has had pretty good scores with.... old marbles and old locks. If no one said it, you can add tin toys to the list too.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just gonna zoom right to the end of this thread and say:

1) Anything I think is cool
2) Anything one of my friends may want
3) Anything I can use
4) Anything I can make a profit on

All of which are becoming a thing of the past, at a reasonable price at least, which is why I hate thrift stores so much as of late. Yes, hate :angry5:

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
treasurehunters
go to ebay, click on the advanced box (top right) type in (vintage)
click Completed listings.
click Show items priced from 20 to 200 or whatever.
Buying formats click Auction.
click the blue search button.
at the top of the page it will read somthing like. 2,772,512 completed listings | active listings | sold listings.
click sold listings.

now go through the listings and you will see some of the best items to hunt for.

Last edited:

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look for designer clothing--especially jeans. You would be surprised what women (me included) will pay for used designer jeans. I am not an expert, but I am learning how to flip. I always triple check to ensure there are no tears, snags, etc. Also, men's XXL and larger tend to do well in almost any type of clothing as it is expensive. I stay away for designer handbags as they are too many fakes. Even half filled bottles of designer perfume sells very well on the bay. And lastly, most clothing items are 1 piece so they are easy and cheap to ship.
apush

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just gonna zoom right to the end of this thread and say:

1) Anything I think is cool
2) Anything one of my friends may want
3) Anything I can use
4) Anything I can make a profit on

All of which are becoming a thing of the past, at a reasonable price at least, which is why I hate thrift stores so much as of late. Yes, hate :angry5:

So is there an app for your brain? :)

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP I had a long night and I'm headed to work so you'll have to elaborate on that one...

i don't like what the "thrift" stores have become.. Prices have gone sky high at most over the past few years... At least around here

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP I had a long night and I'm headed to work so you'll have to elaborate on that one...

i don't like what the "thrift" stores have become.. Prices have gone sky high at most over the past few years... At least around here

An app for your brain because what you said doesn't help him unless he can read your mind. :)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
BUMP...come on guys and gals, the worlds a huge place, I doubt we are any of our competitors here. Lets be honest, whats the best things to hunt for?>

Well, actually, some of my competitors have been here.

I was skimming the threads one evening, and a guy posted about one of his auction finds. Later in the thread, he noted that he found it at an auction place that I frequent weekly, and he lives in the next town over.

I know that it was a one-in-a-million deal, but I'd prefer not to educate my competition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread