What do you want in the next Tesoro Models?

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I've emailed Nathan about what I'd like.
To me a shallow water proof machine like the AT models would benefit me the most. If Tesoro brought out a model to compete with the AT models, they'd blow them away.
A Tejon version 2 with a shaft like the ATX and with a coil that can rotate 90 degrees.

Coil covers come with every single machine. That is one thing I loved with the Outlaw. 3 coils with 3 covers included.
Every single company should include a cover with every coil imo.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beer spigot would be nice. But what I'd really like them to make is a White Shark with two or more frequencies and disc also some thing more like an Excal with 17 freq. and waterproof to deeper than 10 feet not like the toy ATP.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I would be just about sold on an outlaw/ vaquero with tone id. Yes, I know that the Deleon and Cortes both have screens etc. but I hear so many great things about the outlaw and vaquero that just seem to put them in a separate league. Also, I don't really need a screen, it's just a numerical readout of what the detector is thinking. Instead, you could just hunt by ear and pay more attention to the ground ahead of you. A vaquero or outlaw with tone ID would be unstoppable!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I would be just about sold on an outlaw/ vaquero with tone id. Yes, I know that the Deleon and Cortes both have screens etc. but I hear so many great things about the outlaw and vaquero that just seem to put them in a separate league. Also, I don't really need a screen, it's just a numerical readout of what the detector is thinking. Instead, you could just hunt by ear and pay more attention to the ground ahead of you. A vaquero or outlaw with tone ID would be unstoppable!
Until then buy a t2se and put tape over the screen.

Cycluran

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That'd be it for me too. Just 2 tones, one for ferrous and one for non-ferrous, with the depth of a Tejon, or, if not two tones, perhaps an analog ferrous/non-ferrous meter like the Arados.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love a waterproof case for the Outlaw - something where I could go out on a muggy afternoon and have it ready in case of a downpour or to have on when I am hunting in freshwater in case of a slip or something.

A new waterproof model would be fine but if they could make a add-on case for existing models that would be great too.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
First off Tesoro makes fine detectors and the build quality and warranty are tops. Ideas on a new detector well here it goes with a little lead in to my point.

With most Tesoro detectors one must thumb the disk knob to help assist in telling maybe the type of item you are detecting this is cool and works the draw back in heavy trash that is so common now days is it takes a lot of time and you work the knob to death or spend all your time on your knees digging trash. Another issue is most Tesoro detectors are fixed ground balance other than the Outlaw, Vagero, and the Tejon. I do not care for fixed ground balance myself in the disk mode or the all metal.

With all this said in my opinion Tesoro needs build a light as possible detector with an adjustable ground balance with multi tone low for iron, mid and high tones. A detector that does well in iron trash with a fast recovery speed for working in trash with all the coil options. Now here is the big one for you guys VDI numbers, yes I know they are not always accurate but in a high trash situation on shallow tabs one can dig a bunch and realize most are coming in at say a 58 constantly on the VDI screen. After this a guy can glance at the VDI numbers because shallow targets lock good and move on past say the 58 number. This is faster and better than thumbing the knob to do the same thing in my humble opinion. A Tesoro detector like this would allow Tesoro to now compete with detectors like the Garrett AT Pro & Gold, Fisher, Technetics and the White's ID detectors and more than likely the Tesoro would keep up or maybe kick there butt or for sure compete toe to toe with them. ( a good thing yes??)

In summery

A solid light weight simple accurate VDI detector with ground balance capability's in disk and all metal modes that's good in iron, fast recovery speed with multi tone low, mid and high tones (water proof for shallow water here could be a big plus) Again I think this would open a hole new market for Tesoro but again this concept may run against what Tesoro has done well for years witch is build high quality light simple affective detectors.

Personaly.

I loved my Vagero and my Tejon but in high trash they worked me to death and my Cortez was a fixed ground balance in disk mode (did not like that at all it should have been adjustable in disk mode) I do wish though I still had them all after the fact. My Garrett AT Pro does all the above well over all. Like I said above I wish Tesoro had a detector to compete here in this arena. The AT Pro is light and has all the features listed above and gives me the choices I need and like. I still dig most everything any way but the VDI and tone help in high trash just a little more info to help a guy along the way.

This is what I would like to see Tesoro do.
:icon_thumleft:
Safe Hunting To All, :occasion14:
Bill G

Last edited:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to see the Golden uMax come back into production very soon.

If Tesoro were to ask me to design a new detector, I would use the uMax control box with the 8" donut coil which I much prefer over the 9x8 spoked coil. It would run at 10 kHz like most uMax models.

There would be no screen, but there would be 4 tones like the Golden.

It would also have a pushbutton automatic ground balance feature with ground tracking capability. Though in my soil, fixed ground balance would be just fine (I'm just thinking of the larger market).

Finally, it has a series of notch switches (not knobs) like you have on the most uMax models to switch between discrimination and all metal, and the switcheson this unit are used to notch in or out "iron," "foil," "nickels," "pulltabs," and "zinc."

If you want my version of the dream Tesoro detector, that would be it.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- Non-motion all-metal like the Outlaw. Prefer non-VCO (but can be selected if you want, like the Tejon has).

- Toggle switch like the Outlaw & silver uMax is a great idea.

- Lower frequency to do better w/ silver (maybe 5-8 kHz)

- Make it really "hot" in the Max Boost range like the Tejon

- Trigger switch like the Tejon

- If they do multiple tones, make it switchable so you can still do one-tone. One-tone audio pitch about like a standard Vaquero.

- If they do multiple tones, make them work at depth instead of stopping at a certain range.

- Keep the basic graphics style & lettering... looks good!

Oh yeah, one more thing....ground balance fine tune knob might be nice.

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nathan from Tesoro mentioned that they are going to be fielding suggestions for a good name for the next machine. It should be interesting to see what people come up with.

Dan

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has and with new tones.

Is this very recent news? Have a link?

I just talked to Tesoro last week and they said the Golden Umax wasn't in production.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multi Tone,Screen ID, and Multi freqs for starters and I would like it to work in water too like a ATP or CTX...Deeper then 10ft would be nice.
I always tell people looking for a decent detector to try a Tesero but it is time for Tesero to make a Machine to compete with the big companies.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does this sound; a Golden-u-Max with manual GB, multi- frequency, and waterproof at depth.

Ronzie, have you thought @ drilling 4 holes in the upper shaft, 90* to the existing holes. This lets you turn the coil left or right (actually the lower shaft and coil) for doing stone and wood walls as well as creek bed banks. Justa thought.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used

How does this sound; a Golden-u-Max with manual GB, multi- frequency, and waterproof at depth.

Ronzie, have you thought @ drilling 4 holes in the upper shaft, 90* to the existing holes. This lets you turn the coil left or right (actually the lower shaft and coil) for doing stone and wood walls as well as creek bed banks. Justa thought.

No I never thought of that.
That's one thing I liked about my Explorer. I'm not a fan of spring buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread