What does gold come up as on Ace 350?

Molon Labe

Feb 4, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, this is my first post but I've been a member commenting for a few months now. Ive been using a garrett Ace 350 for a little over a year now and have found some awesome stuff but I have never found gold :( Am I just unlucky? wrong places? OR do I just pass over gold assuming its trash? Probably all of the above. Can someone show me a picture or tell me what range gold comes up on the 350 and how you decide to dig up a possible gold signal? Thanks for the help guys

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have an Ace 350, so don't know your machine. On my Whites MXT, pop tabs and foil are in the same range on the meter as a gold ring. So if you don't want the pop tabs, you could be missing gold. Trust me, you get lots and lots of pop tabs for every gold ring. My MXT does have a different sound for gold once you are used to it, but not always, so I dig almost everything, especially when fresh, but if I get tired and have found lots of foil and tabs, I might decided the heck with it and keep going. Mood and energy have a lot to do with it also.

OP
OP
M

Molon Labe

Feb 4, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, guess I gotta keep going for it. I usually dig every signal that is strong I get a lot of dodgy signals

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Pure gold (24k) is a high conductor. But nearly all jewelry is alloyed (10, 14, or 18k), NOT pure. Alloyed gold, on a size-per-size basis, shares the same conductivity as aluminum . Note I say: per size. Because size plays into it. For example: scan an entire aluminum soda can with your ace 250. What does it read at? quarter or half dollar or whatever, right? Ok now scan just a finger-nail size snippet of that same can (or just wave the tab). What does it read at? Nickel or tab, right? BUT WAIT! What changed? It's still the exact same composition: aluminum, right? The only thing that changed is the SIZE. Well so too is it with gold. So for example a big fat college men's 10k ring might read up around zinc. penny. But a dainty thin ladies solitair (with a BIG diamond, haha), might read down around foil or nickel, etc...

So you see, size plays into it.

Your best bet if you want increase your take of gold jewelry targets, is not so much to concentrate on where it reads, or digging low conductors till your arms fall off. Instead, you want to hunt where your odds are better, TO BEGIN WITH. Namely: swimming beaches. Not junky blighted urban parks. :)

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
main things is... keep at it. in this quest for treasures, fame, and untold riches...

liftloop

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Ace250.......I have found many gold rings over the last year with it. Most of the time gold rings have rang up in the nickel range. The larger gold rings I have found have rang up between nickel and tab. I did find one 14k gold cross that rang up just below nickel. You will dig a lot of can slaw and tabs......get ready for it......and then the gold rings will pop up. Of course...being in an area where gold rings are likely to be lost helps your effort......sports fields are usually the best areas for them if you're not near the beach. I assume the 350 is basically the same machine but with the larger coil.

OP
OP
M

Molon Labe

Feb 4, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys so Should I not use the coin setting if I want to find gold since most of the gold possibilities aren't signaled in the coin settings

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys so Should I not use the coin setting if I want to find gold since most of the gold possibilities aren't signaled in the coin settings

I generally run my machine in the "all metal" mode....and sensitivity backed down 2 bars. I only discriminate the iron......I leave the foil and all other markings open. Large iron pieces will ring up as silver on the Ace (in the quarter/dollar area)....but it will jump around... usually from quarter/dollar to foil...so you will get used to that signal and know that it is a large piece of iron. The Ace is usually very accurate on the foil too except when you get large pieces that are compacted into a ball.....then it will ring up as nickel. "Can slaw" is the worst...........usually gives you a solid nickel signal but can ring up as dime also(which is usually a large can)....so you have to dig it....it could be a ring or silver depending on whether it is a nickel signal or dime signal. You can also determine when pinpointing if it is a large signal or a small signal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Molon Labe

Feb 4, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what blocks will gold show up as? the area of blocks that the gold rings are across?

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what blocks will gold show up as? the area of blocks that the gold rings are across?

Gold rings will ring up under the nickel block or between nickel and pull tab depending on the size of the ring. I have yet to find one that has rang up under the pull tab and I have found at least 15 gold rings in the last year. I found the 14k gold cross that rang up just below the nickel block (between nickel and foil). That's why most of the time I will dig a foil signal if it's a solid beep. You never know for sure until you dig. I remember getting the signal on the gold cross and thinking to myself...should I dig that signal close to the foil range....was glad I did. It was one of the best looking gold crosses I have found. A gold ring signal will most always be a good solid signal. The ring you see as my avatar with the diamonds in it...rang up between nickel and pull tab. I also found a gold class ring 2' away from that one that also rang up between nickel and pull tab. Most of the smaller ladies rings...will ring up under the nickel block.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try some test of gold items, see what it reads. There will be variations like being in soil as opposed to air test, size of item, trash near it....etc. M6 reads foil low disc. It will produce a sound, small bands read 8-14 larger bands read higher numbers on an M6. With the disc higher there is no sound but readings are the same.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this will explain a bit better. This is how it looks on the Ace250...which is similar to the 350 setup. Where I put the yellow marks are where the gold is going to ring up.
The blue mark is where the gold cross rang up on my machine.

ace250diagram (600x450).jpg

OP
OP
M

Molon Labe

Feb 4, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gold key thats EXACTLY what I've been trying to find!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I'm afraid gold-keys coordinates are for just select gold rings he may have tested . There are daintier rings (& bracelets and earings ) which will read lower . And there are beefy men's bands that can read up to around zinc.

I certainly wish it were as simple as having a few marks "where gold comes in at". Then we'd. all go out and dig just those signals, digging gold rings till our arms fell off. ;)

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found two gold rings last year with my 350, both were small 10k rings, both rang in at the "foil" range. One came in one notch below the nickel icon, and the other came in two notches below the nickel icon, but as people have said before, depending on size, weight, and gold content, gold can come in pretty much anywhere on your detector. I have included pics of the two gold rings as I did when I originally posted them, next to my other finds from those days so you can get an idea of their size. DSC02350.JPG DSC02312.JPG

Last edited:

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm afraid gold-keys coordinates are for just select gold rings he may have tested . There are daintier rings (& bracelets and earings ) which will read lower . And there are beefy men's bands that can read up to around zinc.

I certainly wish it were as simple as having a few marks "where gold comes in at". Then we'd. all go out and dig just those signals, digging gold rings till our arms fell off. ;)

I didn't make this evaluation by "air" testing......I made this evaluation by finding gold rings in the field. Go to my profile and look at all my threads over the last year. You will see all sizes of gold rings found on sports fields. None of this was doing an "air test". This is an evaluation using the Ace250.......other machines may ring up differently.....this thread is concerning the Ace350 which is very similar to the Ace250. But....thank you again Tom for your input......

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found two gold rings last year with my 350, both were small 10k rings, both rang in at the "foil" range. One came in one notch below the nickel icon, and the other came in two notches below the nickel icon, but as people have said before, depending on size, weight, and gold content, gold can come in pretty much anywhere on your detector. I have included pics of the two gold rings as I did when I originally posted them, next to my other finds from those days so you can get an idea of their size. View attachment 993977 View attachment 993985

Gold will not ring up "anywhere" on the machine. If you get a silver reading then you can count on the object being silver (unless it is trash...aluminum can..large iron...etc.). It is possible to get a "gold plated" silver ring. The content of the ring will determine what the machine will read. I have to give it to Garrett......the machines are very accurate at determining what is in the ground 95% of the time. Depth of the object will make a difference in the reading to some degree...and depending on if there is trash located near the target. I have found 2 quarters on top of each other that rang up as 50 cents....thought that was smart. Gold rings though....will always be from the foil range to the pull tab range.....although I have yet to find one that rang up under the pull tab. You can count on it with the Garrett machine. Every time I dig a piece of can slaw or a pull tab....I say "thank you". When the gold pops up I do the "thank you" dance. I always dig the pull tab signal just in case there might be something other than a pull tab...but so far....in the last year....gold has not shown up under that signal.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I didn't make this evaluation by "air" testing......I made this evaluation by finding gold rings in the field. ......

goldkey: whether deduced by air-testing, or in-ground readings, the net effect is the same: they're representative of gold rings that you have happened to find. I don't doubt that where yours, thus far, have rung in at. As you put in more hunting time, and assuming you dig all conductive targets, you will eventually find more that read at other points, both higher and lower than those few coord's your pix shows.

Have you found any that read up as high as zinc? Big fat men's rings, for example, read up that high.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You could have saved yourself a lot of time! Just put something gold on the ground and swing your coil over it. It's that simple! Frank...-
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, Goldkey stated that the ring in his avatar came up between nickel pull tab range so I think that ring qualifies as a big fat gold mans ring, It could be their machines will only show gold in those ranges.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread