What's new

What ever happened to the Kennedy half?

clovis97

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2010
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
632
Golden Thread
0
And why aren't we still using it today?

As a kid, growing up in the 70's, the Kennedy half was a popular coin to receive in change. I remember getting them often, even up until the mid 1990's. Then, all of a sudden, I quit seeing any Kennedy halves in circulation.

What happened?

On occasion, I hear about a business that still gives them out in change, but I have to admit, it is pretty uncommon.

You would think, with the push of the new $1 coins, that the government would have pushed the use of the JFK half too.

I think the JFK half is still very popular. You almost never find a bank that carries them on a regular basis, yet the tellers I've talked to say they are the most requested coin. The only JFK halves I've ever found naturally (without having them orders) were from customer drop offs in change.

When I've spent the few clad JFK's I've found (I'm still a newbie at CRH), the cashiers gobble them up. "Wow! 50 center's!"

My point is that the average consumer still likes the clad JFK as an everyday coin.

It seems silly that the JFK's are just sitting in vaults, owned by Brinks and the government, only to be waiting for a CRH'er to come along.

Thoughts, anyone???
 
Upvote 0
One thing that makes them unpopular in circulation is that most if not all vending machines do not accept them Also i think many people look at them as a rather awkward and bulky coin. Me personally I love them especially if they are 1964 or earlier
 
santafeboy said:
One thing that makes them unpopular in circulation is that most if not all vending machines do not accept them Also i think many people look at them as a rather awkward and bulky coin. Me personally I love them especially if they are 1964 or earlier
haha i agree about the 64 and backs, and i think they are unpopular because many people started hording them after kennedy was shot, and so halves werent around much anymore, and the world just adapted to a halfless world...just a theory tho. its also a good thing for crh'ers, cuz they dont circulate very much, so more silver is left in the boxes ;D keep it up and hh!
 
I'm a child of the 70's, I don't remember them being real popular. Like one poster mentioned, too big and bulky of a coin. Just like the silver dollar (Morgan) was never real popular with the public, nor was the Ike dollar.
 
haha i agree about the 64 and backs, and i think they are unpopular because many people started hording them after kennedy was shot, and so halves werent around much anymore, and the world just adapted to a halfless world...just a theory tho. its also a good thing for crh'ers, cuz they dont circulate very much, so more silver is left in the boxes ;D keep it up and hh!
[/quote]I agree.
before 1964 the ben franklin half was a popular coin with the public and circulated freely.half dollars were not used in vending machines in those days because of the relative value of the coin in a world where a soda or phone call cost cost five cents.
When the kennedy half came out in 1964 nearly all were hoarded for two reasons,the impending change to clad coinage and the deep and almost fanatical love of the slain president.
this hoarding continued throughout the 70's and 80's and as our money started to devalue to the point that vending machines should have evolved to accept them the public no longer used the half dollar.
 
Thay are a bit bulky but I think more useful than those dang small dollars they keep kicking out of the mint. The failure of the Susan B should have told them something. :dontknow:
 
packerbacker said:
Thay are a bit bulky but I think more useful than those dang small dollars they keep kicking out of the mint. The failure of the Susan B should have told them something. :dontknow:

Since you mentioned Susie B, it disproves the vending argument regarding halves being a death knell for the coin to circulate. Look at the mintage of Susie. Why the 1999 mintage after an 18 year hiatus? It was the vending machine lobby that pushed it. The government was gearing up to produce the Sacagawea dollar, but they weren't ready to begin production until 2000. The vending lobby insisted that there wasn't an adequate supply of small dollars in circulation. The mint under pressure dusted off the Susie design and cranked out a mintage of the grey lady. Also, it provides with a numismatic collectible. Since San Fran didn't have the dies to produce a proof, Philly accommodated collectors. A Philly proof that is worth $30 today.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom