what is diferent between explorer xs and 11

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
So long as you like your XS I would just stay with it. The II has a little faster recovery speed from what I've heard. I've got an XS and I think it's one of the best detectors ever made. The recovery speed is not all that slow as far as I'm concerned, you have to swing these machines slow anyway, not like a weedwacker.

Gary

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Very little.I've used both and beside having the 2 numbers on the digital screen,I don't find any difference in performance.

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
If you hunt in digital then the II will be worth it, if you use the smart screen then stay with what you got and if you can find someone the the new Pro coil (Minelab) test it out, you will buy one.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what size is that pro lab coil ? sorry am new to this one.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same guts/circuits as far as swinging is concerned, Explorer II has a built in metal stand, dual digital ID, faster processor (menu-nothing to do with recovery), wider adjustment for the threshold range, and the same coil but black. There is really nothing to be gained if you have a good working XS. The Explorer II was mostly to correct the mistakes made for the XS, and of course to give all the people who need the latest something else to buy. If shopping for an Explorer the II is a better choice and less likely to have problems.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IP, thats a bit toooo big for me.. but, did get from hubby a nice used xs.. so I have reading to do.. and I have to call ML and see if the updates were ever done and have a few other things checked out .. then I am good to go.. it was updated in 1999 thats all I know so far.. but hey, am happy as heck I got the xs a coming..my shovel is ready too..lol

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
Thanks IP, thats a bit toooo big for me.. but, did get from hubby a nice used xs.. so I have reading to do.. and I have to call ML and see if the updates were ever done and have a few other things checked out .. then I am good to go.. it was updated in 1999 thats all I know so far.. but hey, am happy as heck I got the xs a coming..my shovel is ready too..lol

Updated or repaired? Updated usually means new housing because of the plastic cracking near the housing camlock. There was really no other updates available and 1999 is getting back pretty much to when the detector was released.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
> Starting from the ground up:
> 1 Improved the coil. Changed from tan to black
> color, does not show the dirt as much.
> 2 New lower shaft. Changed from tan plastic to
> black carbon fiber. Much stronger. Coil wire is
> pulled up through the center of the shaft now.
> 3 Changed the upper shaft where it goes into the
> control housing. IIs shaft is cut at a 45 degree
> and goes ~1" further into the housing, less flex
> in the machine.
> 4 Changed upper and lower shaft clamp material
> from a hard black plastic to a softer red rubber.
> Grips the shafts better and less likely to work
> out over time.
> 5 Faster processor. Better in trashy areas.
> 6 Added more steps in threshold volume setting.
> Much better on the ears.
> 7 Shows both fer. and cond. numbers for better
> target ID if you hunt by the numbers.
> 8 Increased standard rechargeable batteries from
> 1400 to 1600 mah. The II is harder on batteries
> 9 Added a metal stand to the back of the machine.
> XS had a plastic one on the coil and would hang up
> on weed, ect...
>
> 10 Changed from a 1/8" to 1/4" headphone adapter.
> The 1/8" one on the XS would commonly have to be
> repaired or replaced (by Minelab). Sun Ray
> offered an aftermarket stand and adapter.
>
>11 Change the arm cuff from tan to black plastic.
>
> All I can think of for now.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009
sorry for hijacking the thread, but my question as similar.
i was hoping to buy a used explorer II but now it looks like i will get the first explorer model instead.
anything different besides what has allready been mentioned?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab said:
i was hoping to buy a used explorer II but now it looks like i will get the first explorer model instead.

There's no reason to get an early explorer over the explorer II. Not sure what you read that would make you think that.

PS... I don't think posting something about an explorer on an explorer thread is hijacking.

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009
Iron Patch said:
Ahab said:

There's no reason to get an early explorer over the explorer II. Not sure what you read that would make you think that.

PS... I don't think posting something about an explorer on an explorer thread is hijacking.

it was me who misread the classified ad. I though it was an explorer II but it wasnt. But it has the sunray probe and an extra coil to go with it. So unless there is something fundamentally different between the first model and the II i will go ahead and buy the old one.
So my question would be: is there anything i am missing out on by buying the first model compared to the explorer II? (apart from the weak clasp and sliiightly slower recovery)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab said:
Iron Patch said:
Ahab said:

it was me who misread the classified ad. I though it was an explorer II but it wasnt. But it has the sunray probe and an extra coil to go with it. So unless there is something fundamentally different between the first model and the II i will go ahead and buy the old one.
So my question would be: is there anything i am missing out on by buying the first model compared to the explorer II? (apart from the weak clasp and sliiightly slower recovery)

Well I disagree agree with the slower recovery. When the explorer II came out Minelab, as part of the hype, made the point of it having a faster processor. Many times I asked for clarification, but was never given an answer, so my conclusion is it's just the faster menu on the II. (and it is clearly faster - but who really cares) Also, I have basically switched back and forth between the XS and II for the last nine years and see know difference between them as far as recovery. You have to swing a Minelab a certain way, and that would matter way more than a slight increase in recovery speed anyway. Until someone can show me the tech. differences for the electronics I'll believe they are the same.. but I've love to see them compared.

There's nothing that would stop me from buying an XS model. I'd just have to be sure there was no cracks at the camlock, and the upper shaft doesn't work it's way out when swinging. Apart from that, and having to buy a Sunray stand to convert to use 1/4 headphones, it should be ok.

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009
I was under the impression that the S model was the first explorer, if not please correct me (it goes model S, XS, II right?)
so my new baby would be a model S not the XS .
sorry if i have been unclear about this and thereby wasted your time.

to clarify: is there any differrence between an S model and the model II? apart from camlock trouble and lowershaft

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab said:
I was under the impression that the S model was the first explorer, if not please correct me (it goes model S, XS, II right?)
so my new baby would be a model S not the XS .
sorry if i have been unclear about this and thereby wasted your time.

to clarify: is there any differrence between an S model and the model II? apart from camlock trouble and lowershaft

The first two were the S and XS. The S was basically the same, just had a few less features like less programming and no noise cancel. It did not sell well, and Minelab dropped it not too long after the release. The Explorer II came a few years later, about 2003 or so. I rarely see an Explorer S for sale these days.

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009
thank you for your time and answers, you are as allways very informative IP. I have been lurking this forum for a year and decided to enroll a few days ago, so i have seen your posts before:)
I will go ahead and hopefully purchase the detector as intended. I just wanted to know if i was missing out.....it dosnt seem like it.
I should have been to bed an our ago since its a work day tomorrow, but dealing with people in the states i have to accept that the 8-9 hour time difference means that the guy gets home from work way past my bedtime.......but i cant sleep since i am waiting for confirmation that he still wants to sell:)
Expect to hear more from me when the deal is sealed:)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab said:
thank you for your time and answers, you are as allways very informative IP. I have been lurking this forum for a year and decided to enroll a few days ago, so i have seen your posts before:)
I will go ahead and hopefully purchase the detector as intended. I just wanted to know if i was missing out.....it dosnt seem like it.
I should have been to bed an our ago since its a work day tomorrow, but dealing with people in the states i have to accept that the 8-9 hour time difference means that the guy gets home from work way past my bedtime.......but i cant sleep since i am waiting for confirmation that he still wants to sell:)
Expect to hear more from me when the deal is sealed:)

Glad to help. Regardless of money I'll always go for an XS or Explorer II over anything else. Good luck!

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't buy it if it's the S model... the S and XS can out in late 1999 and this was the comparison:

The “S” has no Learn mode---N/A
The “S” has no Edit mode---N/A
The “S” has no Save Box modeN/A
The “S” has no 12 volt car charge-----------------------------------can be bought later $40.00 in 2000
The “S” has no NiMh Battery and 110 home charger--------can be bought later $65.00 in 2000
The “S” has no Backlight---N/A I use the Backlight when I night hunt and to set up programs indoors
The “S” has no Coil Stand-----------------------------------------------can be bought later $8.00 in 2000
The “S” has no Auto Noise Cancel---N/A This cancels near by detectors and radio interference

The Explorer XS was purchase new for $940.00 in 2000
if I was buying one I would get the II because, color, dual digital readout, fiber lower rod, 1/8 jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread