What's new

What is it ?,A railroad mail bag? ww2 era??

tokenhead

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
848
Reaction score
65
Golden Thread
0
Location
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody :thumbsup: !!!,I am looking for some info. on this bag,made of canvas,4 grommett's at top,approx.17in.across and 20in.top to bottom.Any info.,question's,etc.are welcome&NEEDED !Thank's ALL&HH !!! :read2:
 

Attachments

  • Picture 1812.webp
    Picture 1812.webp
    32 KB · Views: 640
  • Picture 1813.webp
    Picture 1813.webp
    33.5 KB · Views: 573
I don't know what it is; I'll WAG it's a water filter bag.

Mike
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
I don't know what it is; I'll WAG it's a water filter bag.

Mike
A water fill? bag?? to transfer water??? what do you make of the stenciled area's on it? :thumbsup:,Thanks for input !!! HH ALL !
 
Upvote 0
overseas bound mail bag -- first stop britain then france
 
Upvote 0
I think it is too small for a mail bag. I think more like a ditty bag
to carry smalls in: shoe shine kit, soap, shaving gear, etc.
Maybe the stencils are where the person was stationed. Jimbob
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
overseas bound mail bag --

Concur...

Probably a collection / shipping bag from a field Co base forwarded to HQ

Gotta remember that letters during WWII were basically a light weight sheet of paper that was folded to become its own envelope...a hundred or so letters could be no more than a fistful...

In the field, your pocket or a small pouch was the ditty bag...a bar of soap, a razor, comb and tooth brush...maybe a tin of tooth powder, and most likely some TP... tooth paste as we know it didn't exist...no modern electric razors, hair dryers, nose hair trimmers, Q-tips, and so on...
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Where was it found?
Above or below the ground level?
Above :thumbsup:,Pic's are food for thought...
 

Attachments

  • RPOhook.webp
    RPOhook.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,537
  • mail-catch4.webp
    mail-catch4.webp
    74.6 KB · Views: 604
  • mailhook.webp
    mailhook.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 621
Upvote 0
I dont know what it is but I thought I would show you a pic of my vintage canvas US Domestic Mail Bag that is about the same size.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-015S.webp
    MVC-015S.webp
    23 KB · Views: 544
  • MVC-016S.webp
    MVC-016S.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 723
Upvote 0
I agree with Mack, if it's official mail related, it is probably a sorting bag. There are too few grometts on this for a mail bag. (The long bar on a mail lock would go through a series of grometts on the larger mail bag. )
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
I agree with Mack, if it's official mail related, it is probably a sorting bag. There are too few grometts on this for a mail bag. (The long bar on a mail lock would go through a series of grometts on the larger mail bag. )
Thats the most obvious difference than mine. (fewer grommets) Mines a little wider and yours is a little taller but the same square inches.. It also looks as if the letters were hand stenciled.

I dont know anything about mine but I believe the rope is original and the clasp appears to have a hole for a padlock. Can you date mine?
 

Attachments

  • MVC-017S.webp
    MVC-017S.webp
    62.8 KB · Views: 419
Upvote 0
Cy, I didn't even see your post above mine when I posted :D I saw just now your bag is fairly modern and doesn't have the arrangement for the lock. Somewhere buried in the attic I've got an older bag (with the "d" shaped lock that went through the grommets. At any rate as you've shown, most all mail bags have more grommetts :D
 
Upvote 0
I was just wondering if you knew anything about mine. Ive been using it as a hunting bag since I found it in the 70's. Mine may have been from stolen mail. The back has numbers on it. Sorry to hijack.
 
Upvote 0
"I was just wondering if you knew anything about mine."

Sorry I don't Cy, except to say the mail bag has obviously evolved into a better arrangement where it can be drawn shut and locked more easily now. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know what it is but I thought I would show you a pic of my vintage canvas US Domestic Mail Bag that is about the same size.
:thumbsup:,Thank's for the pic's.,Look's REAL similar...Someone had mentioned a"DITY-BAG",I got my dity-bag in boot&it wasn't this big.Anyway i can see a #2 on 3 of the four grommets,i'll look closer.camera died as i was snapping these photo's,i'll get more pics.bigcypresshunter thank's :icon_thumright:,as your comment's are always welcomed.I know NOTHING of mail bag's but a "sorting"bag sounds good,i just think it would be cool if it was a WW2 mail bag...HH ALL !!!&Thank's for ALL input! :read2:
20IN. High.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 1839.webp
    Picture 1839.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Picture 1840.webp
    Picture 1840.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom