What's new

WHAT IS IT? BUCKLE OR STRAP

outlaw007

Bronze Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
1,349
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Location
ILLINIOS
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
 

Attachments

  • P1030255.webp
    P1030255.webp
    25.6 KB · Views: 468
  • P1030254.webp
    P1030254.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 466
:hello:

Leather mount...proberbly Horse related :read2:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Nice piece etrac007. Agree with leather and kind of looks like buckle. How big is it?
 
Upvote 0
its 2 7/8 long and 3/4 inch wide
 
Upvote 0
SS and Crusader, this might be one of those rare times I disagree with you a little bit....

I agree that it was probably mounted on leather, but it doesn't seem horse related.
It was found in Illinois, a state where the odds of a colonial type of object being found are much less.
Harness decoration of this shape usually point downward. If you tilt this on end point up, you find it looks an awful lot like a plant growing out of a pot. Assuming it is, it must have been point up, which also pretty much eliminates buckle also.
Other than adding that observation (which might be off base) , I don't know what it is.
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
SS and Crusader, this might be one of those rare times I disagree with you a little bit....

I agree that it was probably mounted on leather, but it doesn't seem horse related.
It was found in Illinois, a state where the odds of a colonial type of object being found are much less.
Harness decoration of this shape usually point downward. If you tilt this on end point up, you find it looks an awful lot like a plant growing out of a pot. Assuming it is, it must have been point up, which also pretty much eliminates buckle also.
Other than adding that observation (which might be off base) , I don't know what it is.

It is deffinetly a buckle.

All belts were not wore sideways.

But, what sort of buckle is the question.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
 
Upvote 0
tabdog said:
johnnyi said:
SS and Crusader, this might be one of those rare times I disagree with you a little bit....

I agree that it was probably mounted on leather, but it doesn't seem horse related.
It was found in Illinois, a state where the odds of a colonial type of object being found are much less.
Harness decoration of this shape usually point downward. If you tilt this on end point up, you find it looks an awful lot like a plant growing out of a pot. Assuming it is, it must have been point up, which also pretty much eliminates buckle also.
Other than adding that observation (which might be off base) , I don't know what it is.

It is deffinetly a buckle.

All belts were not wore sideways.

But, what sort of buckle is the question.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

I disagree. The end tab is bent out of shape & probably the reason it came of the leather, it used to be bent over like the other 2.
 
Upvote 0
I think it's a leather strap buckle. Never seen one before. Great relic and very nice patina on piece :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
tabdog said:
johnnyi said:
SS and Crusader, this might be one of those rare times I disagree with you a little bit....

I agree that it was probably mounted on leather, but it doesn't seem horse related.
It was found in Illinois, a state where the odds of a colonial type of object being found are much less.
Harness decoration of this shape usually point downward. If you tilt this on end point up, you find it looks an awful lot like a plant growing out of a pot. Assuming it is, it must have been point up, which also pretty much eliminates buckle also.
Other than adding that observation (which might be off base) , I don't know what it is.

It is deffinetly a buckle.

All belts were not wore sideways.

But, what sort of buckle is the question.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
Here's my two cents chewed up by a lawnmower.... I have to disagree with the buckle theory and agree with John. It clearly was designed to stand upward depicting a potted plant.
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
tabdog said:
johnnyi said:
SS and Crusader, this might be one of those rare times I disagree with you a little bit....

I agree that it was probably mounted on leather, but it doesn't seem horse related.
It was found in Illinois, a state where the odds of a colonial type of object being found are much less.
Harness decoration of this shape usually point downward. If you tilt this on end point up, you find it looks an awful lot like a plant growing out of a pot. Assuming it is, it must have been point up, which also pretty much eliminates buckle also.
Other than adding that observation (which might be off base) , I don't know what it is.

It is deffinetly a buckle.

All belts were not wore sideways.

But, what sort of buckle is the question.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
Here's my two cents chewed up by a lawnmower.... I have to disagree with the buckle theory and agree with John. It clearly was designed to stand upward depicting a potted plant.

It attached to Leather (I agree with SS probably horse related, but not necessarily)
It clearly makes sense, in it could have stood upright, but I know of many items which are up-side-down especially on horses. Although they are much older than this piece.
Some have suggested a buckle but at best it might be more closely linked to a strap-end (however never seen one with 3 lugs).
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
4-H said:
tabdog said:
johnnyi said:
SS and Crusader, this might be one of those rare times I disagree with you a little bit....

I agree that it was probably mounted on leather, but it doesn't seem horse related.
It was found in Illinois, a state where the odds of a colonial type of object being found are much less.
Harness decoration of this shape usually point downward. If you tilt this on end point up, you find it looks an awful lot like a plant growing out of a pot. Assuming it is, it must have been point up, which also pretty much eliminates buckle also.
Other than adding that observation (which might be off base) , I don't know what it is.

It is deffinetly a buckle.

All belts were not wore sideways.

But, what sort of buckle is the question.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog
Here's my two cents chewed up by a lawnmower.... I have to disagree with the buckle theory and agree with John. It clearly was designed to stand upward depicting a potted plant.

It attached to Leather (I agree with SS probably horse related, but not necessarily)
It clearly makes sense, in it could have stood upright, but I know of many items which are up-side-down especially on horses. Although they are much older than this piece.
Some have suggested a buckle but at best it might be more closely linked to a strap-end (however never seen one with 3 lugs).
Agreed
 
Upvote 0
What kind of a weird cowboy or cowgirl would put a potted plant on his horse tack? There were no gay cowboys or cowgirls! Didn't you ever watch the oaters? Well, except for a couple of guys who went up on this mountain one time and.....you know the story. >:( Obviously lies even though John Wayne walked kinda' funny. It didn't mean anything. Whew! I'm starting to sweat! I think it was some kind of in the house decoration for the girls to admire. Monty
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
tabdog said:
johnnyi said:
SS and Crusader, this might be one of those rare times I disagree with you a little bit....

I agree that it was probably mounted on leather, but it doesn't seem horse related.
It was found in Illinois, a state where the odds of a colonial type of object being found are much less.
Harness decoration of this shape usually point downward. If you tilt this on end point up, you find it looks an awful lot like a plant growing out of a pot. Assuming it is, it must have been point up, which also pretty much eliminates buckle also.
Other than adding that observation (which might be off base) , I don't know what it is.

It is deffinetly a buckle.

All belts were not wore sideways.

But, what sort of buckle is the question.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

I disagree. The end tab is bent out of shape & probably the reason it came of the leather, it used to be bent over like the other 2.

It is obvious that it is bent.

What you said, would indicate a buckle.

Is that what you dissagree with?

HH,

Tabdog
 
Upvote 0
tabdog said:
CRUSADER said:
tabdog said:
johnnyi said:
SS and Crusader, this might be one of those rare times I disagree with you a little bit....

I agree that it was probably mounted on leather, but it doesn't seem horse related.
It was found in Illinois, a state where the odds of a colonial type of object being found are much less.
Harness decoration of this shape usually point downward. If you tilt this on end point up, you find it looks an awful lot like a plant growing out of a pot. Assuming it is, it must have been point up, which also pretty much eliminates buckle also.
Other than adding that observation (which might be off base) , I don't know what it is.

It is deffinetly a buckle.

All belts were not wore sideways.

But, what sort of buckle is the question.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

I disagree. The end tab is bent out of shape & probably the reason it came of the leather, it used to be bent over like the other 2.

It is obvious that it is bent.

What you said, would indicate a buckle.

Is that what you dissagree with?

HH,

Tabdog
No what he said would indicate a mount, not buckle, hence the three mounting points. It obviously went on leather, but as Johnnyi said it might not be horse related :)

SS
 
Upvote 0
tabdog said:
CRUSADER said:
tabdog said:
johnnyi said:
SS and Crusader, this might be one of those rare times I disagree with you a little bit....

I agree that it was probably mounted on leather, but it doesn't seem horse related.
It was found in Illinois, a state where the odds of a colonial type of object being found are much less.
Harness decoration of this shape usually point downward. If you tilt this on end point up, you find it looks an awful lot like a plant growing out of a pot. Assuming it is, it must have been point up, which also pretty much eliminates buckle also.
Other than adding that observation (which might be off base) , I don't know what it is.

It is deffinetly a buckle.

All belts were not wore sideways.

But, what sort of buckle is the question.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

I disagree. The end tab is bent out of shape & probably the reason it came of the leather, it used to be bent over like the other 2.

It is obvious that it is bent.

What you said, would indicate a buckle.

Is that what you disagree with?

HH,

Tabdog

Sorry, I assumed you thought it was a buckle because of the left fitting which you may have thought hooked onto another loop or a hole in the other end of the belt. Like a hook & loop. Probably wrong to assume that. So I was pointing out that the end fitting was not only originally bent over to hold it to the leather but that it had been somewhat straighted out by force or accident ie. like I said 'bent out of shape'.

So yes I do disagree with the buckle theory.
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
What kind of a weird cowboy or cowgirl would put a potted plant on his horse tack? There were no gay cowboys or cowgirls! Didn't you ever watch the oaters? Well, except for a couple of guys who went up on this mountain one time and.....you know the story. >:( Obviously lies even though John Wayne walked kinda' funny. It didn't mean anything. Whew! I'm starting to sweat! I think it was some kind of in the house decoration for the girls to admire. Monty
Monty has a point. Im willing to consider house related. But I have no idea other than it looks as if it attached like a staple and I agree one end is bent out.

Where did you find it etrac?
 
Upvote 0
a little west of chicago
 
Upvote 0
WOODS
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom