✅ SOLVED What is " Militermissionen" ? -- As Inscribed on Washington DC Cigarette Case

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is " Militermissionen" ? -- As Inscribed on Washington DC Cigarette Case

Any guesses on this....
I guess this is a cigarette case with wooden liner. Weight: ~1.4lbs
It's scratched but it appears to be inscribed:
"Militaermissionen (one word)
Washington DC
1957-1960 "
Backside Marked:
"Sterling. Weighted by Poole, 82
W. Bell & Co.
Silverware Trophies
14th & P Sts
Washington "
What is Militaermissionen? I'd love your input.. Thx!!
DSCN5452[1].JPG DSCN5453[1].JPG DSCN5454[1].JPG DSCN5455[1].JPG

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty cool item!

[h=3]MILITÄRMISSIONEN[/h]
From Wikipedia (using Google translate):

A Military Commitment Mission (MVM) was an army agency set up by the victorious powers of World War II to communicate with one of the other three powers in occupied Germany , with personnel being sent to their respective occupation zones . In reality, however, these were only established between the Soviet Union and the three Western powers , not between the Western powers. A mission was allowed to maintain a seat in the foreign occupation zone and carry out surveillance and inspection trips. These rights continued to exist after the founding of the Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic and were used during the Cold War for espionage in the other part of Germany.

Upvote 0

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s Danish - look at the æ - relates to the Danish Military Mission in the US for those years.

If it were German, it would be spelled as the above poster said “Militärmissionenwith two dots over the “a”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Rick K. I think it's Danish. I found this cigarette case in a box of silver items I purchased today for a measly 50-cents. Some pieces are sterling... and some are silver-plated. There is a jigger dated 1937. The jigger and vanity set have the initials K.D.Y. on them so I think all these are his/hers. There is also a heavy Ronson Crown lighter too. DSCN5458[1].JPG DSCN5459[1].JPG

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably coincidental but KDY = Kongellig Dansk Yachtklub (aka Royal Danish Yacht Club)

Also, the 'jigger' date is 1939.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Danes did let us keep nukes on Greenland (unofficially) in 1957 so it makes sense. Hell, we had an entire underground city getting built there. Google "Project Iceworm"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm marking this tread as solved. Based on an address on the storage box, I believe this item was previously owned by:

JORGEN GRAUGAARD: Born in Copenhagen, Denmark. He earned a BFA in 1953 and a BA in 1955 and then immediately was drafted into the Royal Danish Army. He served in the Signal Corps from 1955 to 1957 and from 1957 to 1960 at the Military Mission of the Royal Danish Embassy in Washington, D.C. He attended Columbia Technical Institute in Washington, D.C.

Upvote 0

swolfearch

Aug 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jorgen Graugaard

I'm marking this tread as solved. Based on an address on the storage box, I believe this item was previously owned by:

JORGEN GRAUGAARD: Born in Copenhagen, Denmark. He earned a BFA in 1953 and a BA in 1955 and then immediately was drafted into the Royal Danish Army. He served in the Signal Corps from 1955 to 1957 and from 1957 to 1960 at the Military Mission of the Royal Danish Embassy in Washington, D.C. He attended Columbia Technical Institute in Washington, D.C.

Jorgen died in the last couple of weeks, and I'm looking for information about him. Given the dates in this thread, it's probably too late, but do you still have the case or the storage box? What was the source of the information you have about him? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread