What is the worst car you ever owned?

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A 1968 Plymouth Road Runner. Things started going wrong with it as soon as I got it and the dealership didn't want to honor the warranty. I got rid of it after having it for only a year and a couple weeks after trading it in a gut called me to tell me he bought the car and the engine blew. I've never bought another Chrysler car since.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1999 Ford Windstar. Power steering rack failedout at 37,000 miles and the dealer wouldn't cover it. Water pump went up. Alternator went up. Power windows stopped working. I could go on but I'll sum it this way, Piece. Of. Crap.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
My worst was also my best. In 1974 I got a used 1966 Chevy Impala Super Sport. It had the small 283 engine with an automatic transmission.
Not much get-up-and-go. The rear window was always rusting at the top allowing rain to get in and slowly destroy the shelf behind the back seat.
Changing oil was a pain due to the thin black rubber/plastic gasket, that rested around the top of the oil filter canister, would stick to the engine and require an ice-pick to remove.
Still my first car got me where I needed to go.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, it's been years...I'd have to think about that.

It may have been a white Peugeot that HAD NO FRAME and could not be put up on a lift, as we discovered to our horror when it started leaking oil on a long road trip. We should have caught a clue when the miscreants who sold it started whooping in glee within earshot. We were actually pleased when it got rear-ended and totaled.

Or maybe it was a white Toyota Corolla whose front seat backs were horizontal. I would love to report that we sold it to the same brigands who sold us the Peugeot, but someone else bought it.

That ended White Car Purchases for us.

Or maybe it was a red, two-stroke, three-cylinder Saab, which refused to go into reverse. Parking was always quite the circus.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I should say that it's really important to get your insurance made on time. I got into a car accidence two days after my insurance had gone invalid...such a terrible blow. Though, I'll be smarter next time.(deleted by mod as spam)

Fation, please do not post spam links.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
'81 BMW 320i ... Owned 99-00. Paid $800 to an acquaintance of a friend of a friend who promised me he'd get the title to me "in a few days"... I'll never make that mistake again ! I was in desperate need of a cheap ride (was broke and had a 50 mile round trip daily work commute) and the car ran great during the "test drive" so I paid cash on the spot and headed to work. Leaving work later that day I noticed the clutch pedal didn't have much resistance and shifting gears was real problematic until I figured out how to to "speed shift" without the clutch at the right RPMs. Found out the clutch master cylinder was leaking fluid and took about 6 hours to completely empty. Thus began a twice or thrice-daily ritual of crawling under the car to bleed the air out of the clutch lines before refilling the reservoir. And doing it again in my employer's parking lot after work to get home. I moonlighted as bartender a few nights a week to save up for another vehicle (no way I was puttin money into a car I didn't own -no title!). At the restaurant I worked employee parking was in a multistory garage. One night after closing the bar I walked around the front of my car to remove a flyer asking me to "join the local BMW Owners Club" (had to be a joke, this 320 was rusted through and through), because the garage deck was slightly sloped, the leaked clutch fluid had formed a slick puddle for me to slip on.. and boy I slipped. Hard enough to crack my head on the concrete and lay there long enough to come to the decision that the car wasn't worth this much trouble. I got my belongings out of the vehicle and took a cab home. Next day I quit my day job (no more 50M commute) and went full time at the restaurant which was a 5 minute drive away and easy to bum rides or taxi until I had a few grand to put down on a Honda a month later. The BMW sat abandoned in that garage for years and years. I never heard from the joker who "sold" it to me again and who knows who it really belonged to ! It had a host of other problems too but the "death clutch" was the one I'll never forget.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
78 buick lesabre my brother wreked than tried to bondo

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1970 Ford Econoline Van. Remember the “Twin I beam suspension”? When I would push the clutch in sometimes the linkage would fall off onto the road. I would have to pull over, run down the road, pick up the parts, run back and crawl under the truck an reassemble the linkage. After replacing the 302 the new engine started going south. One day I was so disgusted I thought all the money I’m dumping in this POS I could buy a new truck! So I did! I ordered a new 1978 Chevy Van 20 $4900. 300,000 miles and 20 years old when I sold it and it was still running strong.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1982 Pontiac 6000LE. I paid for the extended warranty which covered repairs until 50,000 miles. At 50,500 miles, the 2.8 L V6 engine blew. Antifreeze leaked down into the crankcase! Turns out GM decided against using the typical head gaskets on the 2.8L engine and opted for Silicone between the heads and the block instead.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When I came home from the war, I had some bucks in my pocket. Bought a brand new '71 Chevy Vega GT. Within the first year it was using 6 quarts of oil a week and it only held 5. Oil usage wasn't the only problem, never knew what was coming next. So, I parked it, bought a junker, quit paying on the Vega. They came to repo it, and I thanked them and handed them the key. They had to haul it off on a truck :)

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was either a 79 or 80 Ford Fairmont, little four banger could barely get to highway speed and literally could climb a hill and we lived near Seattle at the time.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1979 Ford Fiesta.... manual transmission, canary yellow. Paid 500 bucks. Lasted about 3 months.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
well i've never had a bad car. but i'll just say this. you can not beat the livin snot out of a machine and expect it to not break ? i mean not to get off track here ? but look at me ? i take all these anti depressants and anti psychotics. and now i'm broke. most days i just go................tick...........tick.............tick....................and no tockin ? one last thought. some people have no respect for nuthin. including a machine.

Tristan Harris

Greenie
Oct 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My worst was also my best. I got a used 1966 Chevy Impala Super Sport. It had the small 283 engine with an automatic transmission.
Not much get-up-and-go. Got it via Carplus. The rear window was always rusting at the top allowing rain to get in and slowly destroy the shelf behind the back seat.
Changing oil was a pain due to the thin black rubber/plastic gasket, that rested around the top of the oil filter canister, would stick to the engine and require an ice-pick to remove.
Still my first car got me where I needed to go.

Are you talking about this beauty?

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say I've ever really owned a bad car/truck.. I've always owned Fords and always had real good luck with them..

NJearthman

Oct 31, 2020
Central Jersey THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, EQUINOX 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My worst car was a 1973 Ford Pinto I purchased in Junction City Kansas in 1979. This thing was constantly breaking down. Water pump blew out, timing belt broke, key ignition slot fell off, I had 60% compression loss in most of the cylinders. It was one bad thing after another. All these problems occurred with less than 25,000 miles.

What is the worst car you ever owned?

In my misspent youth I built the 74 and 75 Ford Pinto and Mercury Bobcat on the assembly line at the FORD Metuchen Plant in NJ. Started as a quality control inspector at the end of the line as the new cars rolled off. Not a bad job for a kid just out of college. My greatest find was someone had finger painted F__K YOU on the roof. Eventually the Union came in and said the job was for someone with more seniority so I got bumped to the body shop spot welding roofs on the cars. YEEEHAAAAA! 55 Cars per hour. Sparks a-flying! Still have the shirt with all the holes in it. Thank GOD we got laid off during the gas crisis and I moved on to greater things.

potsherd_creek

Jan 12, 2021
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Late 90's Subaru. Bought with 82000 miles. Overheated within 100 miles of dealership. Flat engine leaked oil from both sides at the heads, never had to worry about replacing exhaust because always had a fresh coat of oil throughout the length of undercarriage. Finally replaced engine and drove to 200K and traded.

Fun vehicle to drive though. When I sell/trade, I make a point to tell the purchaser any known mechanical problems since I know how it feels to get a bad apple.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread